Outward, tips to a good start (Spoilerish)

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Day One:

Don't read if you like to struggle in the beginning of the game. This is for those who want to get their legs under them quickly:

You start in your undies on a beach. If you explore the whole area, you should find several garberry and seaweed, some clothes, some torches (which are not needed), a bandage, and if you follow the creek on either side, you'll find a fishing harpoon and a miner's pick. There is also a small pile of junk on the beach behind the prow that isembedded in the dirt.

If you break down the clothes you find and turn them into linen, you can create an extra bandage. Be sure to do this before talking to the man at the shipwreck. He will give you a 2nd set of clothes to stay warm.

If you decide to fight the two hyenas (do it!), they will give you meat, hide, and maybe some bones. All of these things are great to have. You can take off the clothes the old man gave you and add two pieces of hide to them and this will make some shoddy leather armor, which provides much more protection than clothing alone. This armor will cost you nothing and is good noobie gear. There are a few random items in the hollow stump near the hyenas.

So, after the wreck, you have Makeshift Leather armor, some seaweed, garberries, a piece of bread (crate by the old man), a harpoon and miner's pick. You can always get wood from any tree and make campfires (3 wood combined in the crafting screen). Wood is heavier than campfires so go ahead and make at least one.

Day Two:

Once you've looted the shipwreck area, just take a nap in the bedrolls near the old man. You will wake up in town inside a lighthouse. Loot everything in the lighthouse. Raw meat and veggies rot quicker than cooked, so you can cook up stuff in the kitchen. You will find your first backpack here and a few articles of clothing. 4 garberries makes jelly and jelly and bread makes a nice treat.

Leaving the lighthouse presents a much bigger map to loot. You will have a cutscene and then talk to the two remaining women. They will start your first major quest which is to secure the lighthouse as a home.

There are very few buildings that you can enter. The townhouse has loot, so grab that and you will find tons of tools and stuff just lying around. All of these can be picked up and sold for needed cash. You want to stay light, so sell anything that is a duplicate or isn't going to be your weapon. I'd suggest selling everything and buying an iron weapon of your choice. Be sure to do that before talking to the man by the main gates.

Characters that can give quests are marked on your map as either a name or a shop symbol of some sort. Most shop owners will give minor quests with minor rewards. Some of these are very far away, so don't worry about closing those right now.

Your goal in town is to loot and sell everything that isn't needed to get enough money to buy a better backpack, a weapon, a tent or bedroll and to make or buy bandages. Depending on what you find, you might be able to make other pieces of armor. There is a storage area under the lighthouse that has a ton of sell-able stuff. This area can lead to a way out of town, but don't take it until you've talked to the gate guard. He will give you one free weapon skill, but only if you haven't left town. He will also list all of the necessities you might need to explore outside.

So, before leaving town have a weapon, armor, bedroll/tent, bandages, water, food and maybe a campfire set and a cooking pot. The last two are optional. If you want loot stay as light as you can. Most loot is heavy and you can carry about 60-75 pounds total. If you have 50 silver left after all the necessities, you can pick up some training. The best option is likely more health from one of the trainers on the elevated buildings.

Okay, that should get you a decent start. There are lots of hidden treasures outside and several critters and people to fight. You have to weigh whether combat is worth the fight and lost health. Most times it is better to avoid combat and just look for loot. It is very easy to lure enemies into fighting each other and then you can take out the leftover combatants. This is a great way to get hides and a few weapons. Your first dungeon is two left paths from the village. It will lead to a troglodyte cave that has the special mushroom quest item.

Yep, to be honest it's for me when I play it again in two years :) 5 year olds is almost too much credit.

So, how do you join the Soybeans, err, Soroboreans faction?

Thanks for the review. I can't find the post where I read about custom character options - do you have a lot? I think I read its limited.

This is a game where I am so borderline on.

No saves (just auto) so you live with your decisions - I both like and dislike this. Could be so cool and also annoying.

Common citizen - also can be fun if done right but I also never minded be the chosen one either.

Open world/sandbox fantasy RPG - I love this type of game except every video I have seen so far makes it seem like the world is so empty, lots of landscape and perhaps things to fight but seems short on landmarks, NPC's, and the like. So worried it might feel empty.

Survival - On the one hand I enjoy survival things in a game (love SM in FO4) yet this sounds almost too ultra-hardcore for my taste. So could be cool ... could be annoying.

Tracking it and may get it - I have some credit with steam. Might be worth poking around in even though

Thanks for the review. I can't find the post where I read about custom character options - do you have a lot? I think I read its limited.

This is a game where I am so borderline on.

No saves (just auto) so you live with your decisions - I both like and dislike this. Could be so cool and also annoying.

Common citizen - also can be fun if done right but I also never minded be the chosen one either.

Open world/sandbox fantasy RPG - I love this type of game except every video I have seen so far makes it seem like the world is so empty, lots of landscape and perhaps things to fight but seems short on landmarks, NPC's, and the like. So worried it might feel empty.

Survival - On the one hand I enjoy survival things in a game (love SM in FO4) yet this sounds almost too ultra-hardcore for my taste. So could be cool … could be annoying.

Tracking it and may get it - I have some credit with steam. Might be worth poking around in even though

Well the world isn't really empty, you can find cool loot all around, and killing things (if you can) yields much needed crafting materials and loot. It's not short on landmarks, there's many dungeons, each varying in difficulty. The survival is streamlined so it's never intrusive, it's very simple to do and doesn't require a crazy amount of effort. Building a campfire to roast meet and gather water from the river couldn't be easier.

You'll forget the one save file thing, it's not annoying, you can't really die so it's not hard to live with the consequences. Just keep in mind that every minute you play is "for real", there's no reloading or anything like that, it's all live. Character customization is very limited but the way you develop your character is not, you can specialize in a ton of different weapons, there's lots of armors and customizable aspects of your character, and each character build is unique to the player. You just can't change how you look very much in character creation (but loot makes you look different, so there's that).

Thanks Fluent. its on track. Character creation is something I like a lot so thats a mixed thing. I do not like DS style combat though so really I think my biggest hesitation is on the combat. Anyhow will keep watch and maybe try it at some point.

Can you poison the river so nobody downstream from you can use it? Or set traps?

Thanks Fluent. its on track. Character creation is something I like a lot so thats a mixed thing. I do not like DS style combat though so really I think my biggest hesitation is on the combat. Anyhow will keep watch and maybe try it at some point.

Cool. And no problem, glad I could help. :thumbsup:

The combat is very much DS-like and brutal at times, but you're meant to run away from most enemies on the overworld at the start of the game, much like ELEX. If you follow the story you will be sent to areas where the combat is not that difficult and you'll be able to survive better and have more fun with it.

Day One:

Don't read if you like to struggle in the beginning of the game. This is for those who want to get their legs under them quickly:

You start in your undies on a beach. If you explore the whole area, you should find several garberry and seaweed, some clothes, some torches (which are not needed), a bandage, and if you follow the creek on either side, you'll find a fishing harpoon and a miner's pick. There is also a small pile of junk on the beach behind the prow that isembedded in the dirt.

If you break down the clothes you find and turn them into linen, you can create an extra bandage. Be sure to do this before talking to the man at the shipwreck. He will give you a 2nd set of clothes to stay warm.

If you decide to fight the two hyenas (do it!), they will give you meat, hide, and maybe some bones. All of these things are great to have. You can take off the clothes the old man gave you and add two pieces of hide to them and this will make some shoddy leather armor, which provides much more protection than clothing alone. This armor will cost you nothing and is good noobie gear. There are a few random items in the hollow stump near the hyenas.

So, after the wreck, you have Makeshift Leather armor, some seaweed, garberries, a piece of bread (crate by the old man), a harpoon and miner's pick. You can always get wood from any tree and make campfires (3 wood combined in the crafting screen). Wood is heavier than campfires so go ahead and make at least one.

I wish I had read your "Day One" and "Day Two" walkthrus before I started playing this game :p

Back
Top Bottom