Owlcat Games - Next Game Starfinder?

It's admirable how people think that a company like Owlcat can just create a cash cow
How do you come to the conclusion that people think that they can do it?

I certainly understand that worry but that's always a risk you take as a company venturing into unknown waters. It either pays off or you flop and learn a hash lesson.

As for the situation that's a touchy subject I agree we talked about that before.

Not entirely new though, since they made two MMORPGs before (Allods Online and Skyforge).

And it's harder to make two successful games in parallel, that's a recipe for botched results. If they decided to do that, I hope they focus on their new IP and don't try to drag another project behind them from which the resources will be pulled away when push comes to shove.

Not entirely new though, since they made two MMORPGs before (Allods Online and Skyforge).

And it's harder to make two successful games in parallel, that's a recipe for botched results. If they decided to do that, I hope they focus on their new IP and don't try to drag another project behind them from which the resources will be pulled away when push comes to shove.
Well if you look at the current clues the evidence we do have makes it sound like it might be one new game but there trying something different then previous Pathfinder RPGs.

Now we know they always include other things like kingdom and army management systems. Maybe this time they want to go the Spellforce route and make a hybrid game.

Just a thought.:thinking:

I didn't know about the MMO games though so that's new info as well.

On a side note we know nothing at this point except Owlcat posted a teaser website and there hiring for different games. We might all be made fools with speculating.

It's admirable how people think that a company like Owlcat can just create a cash cow,

They already did that, didn't they ? ;)

So like a Wail of the Banshee?

And with the new actiony IP: perhaps they're using it as a cash cow to fund more Pathfinder games. One can dream.

Or Aivu's dragon breathe. Either way, yelling done - I made my point very clear to them.

I only hope you are right and we will see more Pathfinder games from Owlcats again soon.

I only hope you are right and we will see more Pathfinder games from Owlcats again soon.

Same. TBH I'd really like it if they started producing Paizo adventure paths as DLC. Would be money in the bank. I've said this before... They've managed to code in the wonderfully deep character building system, give players the adventures to play them in.

It sounds like that's pretty much been confirmed.

What do you mean? Confirmed that Owlcat's next game is ARPG or that they will make more Pathfinder games in future? If latter, where did you see the confirmation?

I think given that it still looks like a sci-fi game that would indicate that it is not a Pathfinder game. There is a Pathfinder AP with a celestial object but I am doubtful that is what we are seeing given it is a full blown asteroid belt not a single comet. Also the font in the image does look futuristic.

They are working on two games so I am sure one of them is a Pathfinder game though.

@purpleblob1; I think some believe Pathfinder will continue because there are job offers for Unity or Pathfinder, and others for Unreal or sci-fi action RPG (as @Stingray; posted earlier here). This looks like a partitioning of their activity between the old and new game. Then there are still DLCs in the pipe anyway.

Then I see at least one job to port the existing games on next-gen console, which I thought was handled by a 3rd party. And it's C++, which confuses me even more (Unity is C#).

I don't know what to believe but I'm glad if they finally make the move to Unreal. The Pathfinder ruleset in Unity must be a huge investment though, so it's understandable they want to get more return on that.

@purpleblob1; I think some believe Pathfinder will continue because there are job offers for Unity or Pathfinder, and others for Unreal or sci-fi action RPG (as @Stingray; posted earlier here). This looks like a partitioning of their activity between the old and new game. Then there are still DLCs in the pipe anyway.

Then I see at least one job to port the existing games on next-gen console, which I thought was handled by a 3rd party. And it's C++, which confuses me even more (Unity is C#).

I don't know what to believe but I'm glad if they finally make the move to Unreal. The Pathfinder ruleset in Unity must be a huge investment though, so it's understandable they want to get more return on that.

Hmmm I thought unity engine/Pathfinder job posting was for WotR DLCs, not a new Pathfinder game.

I also think Unreal engine is for the new ARPG game...

But I could be wrong. I wish I am wrong.

Hmmm I thought unity engine/Pathfinder job posting was for WotR DLCs, not a new Pathfinder game.

I also think Unreal engine is for the new ARPG game…

But I could be wrong. I wish I am wrong.

I'm not sure about Pathfinder. It would make sense to keep devs from the current team for the DLC work since they know the code, the story and everything. Training new employees in such a complex environment only for a few DLCs would be a costly investment and a risk of discontinuity in the game, unless they plan to release another Pathfinder after the DLCs.

Or maybe it's for consoles too, I haven't followed that, did they release Wrath on console? And Kingmaker was in a very bad shape too. Porting the games doesn't really require a deep knowledge of the Pathfinder Core, however.

I'm not sure about Pathfinder. It would make sense to keep devs from the current team for the DLC work since they know the code, the story and everything. Training new employees in such a complex environment only for a few DLCs would be a costly investment and a risk of discontinuity in the game, unless they plan to release another Pathfinder after the DLCs.

True… god I hope there is another Pathfinder game in the pipeline.

Or maybe it's for consoles too, I haven't followed that, did they release Wrath on console? And Kingmaker was in a very bad shape too. Porting the games doesn't really require a deep knowledge of the Pathfinder Core, however.

No console release of WotR yet but I think they will release it on console eventually.

This. I find it unlikely that they're hiring a Pathfinder Mechanics Designer for WotR DLC at this point. I tend to think they would have already done that if it was just for DLC. It sounds like it's in preparation to start designing their next game.

If it is for another Pathfinder game, I hope they go with a more conventional RPG design this time. i.e. No kingdom/army management.

If it is for another Pathfinder game, I hope they go with a more conventional RPG design this time. i.e. No kingdom/army management.

I could do without this too. I don't remember all the questions in their surveys, but I don't think they asked the question explicitly, "do you prefer with or without the management layer?". Even Owlcat fans seem divided on the question.

From my news-thread for those that missed it. Don't care if you hate double posts.

Owlcat Games' Next Title - Theory Round Up & Review

Paizo has announced Owlcat is not working on a pathfinder or starfinder title, so what are they working on? A very serious discussion.

Yeah, I saw it the other day, don't expect any information from it. He's not very well informed as usual, or maybe this time it was a tongue-in-cheek video, just for the fun of it since it was his birthday.

I can't stand that youtuber anymore, the quality has dropped since he's mass-producing. He can't speak properly and doesn't prepare his text to overcome this, he repeats himself a lot, is often badly informed, the video rarely illustrates what he's currently talking about, and in his reviews he's obsessed with the combat mechanics of a game and barely mentions other topics. The only interesting videos are about that, game mechanics, it's his specialty and he should stick to that.

As long as people are getting money to put videos on YT , the written word will decline ...

As long as people are getting money to put videos on YT , the written word will decline.¦
It's called generational change just like this song.:lol:

The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

Back
Top Bottom