Owlcat Games - Next Game Starfinder?

If they’re playing it out like this, maybe it’s possible that one job listing was a planted trolling?

I could do without this too. I don't remember all the questions in their surveys, but I don't think they asked the question explicitly, "do you prefer with or without the management layer?". Even Owlcat fans seem divided on the question.

Thing is, at least in the case of Kingmaker that is a major part of the adventure path the game is based on. To leave it out or hand wave it would mean dramatically altering the experience of players of the game compared to players of the module.

The easiest and best way to avoid management stuff would be to adapt an adventure path that does not include any.

Covid has actually caused a bit of a resurgance of the written word! Printed book sales over the last 2 years has skyrocketed!

Unfortunately when you look at it on a per capita basis the situation isn't quite so merry. There is a truckload of people who the only reading they do is on Twitter or similar. This isn't something new though, just the medium is changing. Weekly magazines etc have mostly gone the way of the dodo - which is a good thing!

Thing is, at least in the case of Kingmaker that is a major part of the adventure path the game is based on. To leave it out or hand wave it would mean dramatically altering the experience of players of the game compared to players of the module.

I think it's safe to say that a crpg is already going to be a significantly different experience from a PnP module regardless of how close the devs try to mirror it.

They definitely should get rid of the management/hybrid game system in their next rpgs. I saw many fans say the same thing on steam forums and elsewhere. It would be awesome if they just made the game exclusively a top down isometric party based rpg only.

I don't care that much whether the next isometric party based rpg they do is Pathfinder or Starfinder, whatever. I prefer fantasy but sci fi setting works fine too.

If they do something entirely different than party based top down rpg - well, I may not be interested, to be honest.

The easiest and best way to avoid management stuff would be to adapt an adventure path that does not include any.

I didn't know that. It was a very good opportunity to add something else to the game then, even if it would have already been a great experience without it.

But that was the first game; they had enough feedback from that to be cautious, yet they did again with Wrath of the Righteous. To make things worse, it was uncomplete on release. And must have got the same feedback even when it was finished, so it would make sense to quantify the pros and cons in a survey. Now, maybe they did and I missed that.

I like it when devs experiment with new things.
It doesn't have to be perfect in my opinion.

It's like logic artists with every Expeditions game they tried something new. It didn't always work but I think it was nice to see new and different mechanics in every game.

I think it's safe to say that a crpg is already going to be a significantly different experience from a PnP module regardless of how close the devs try to mirror it.

But it may be that Paizo wanted management mechanics to be included - its their IP after all, not Owlcats

Personally have no problems with kingdom or army management. As they say tastes vary by player, but it sounds like some you dislike sims or strategy games that all.

As for strongholds they have been a staple of CRPGs ever since Baldur's Gate.

Are you 100 years old? "Back in my day…."

That's a ridiculous statement.

No, I'm quite serious, even although this statement sounds very funny.

But it may be that Paizo wanted management mechanics to be included - its their IP after all, not Owlcats

I suppose that's possible. Although I tend to think they'd leave decisions like that to Owlcat considering Paizo probably knows very little about developing a crpg.

I suppose that's possible. Although I tend to think they'd leave decisions like that to Owlcat considering Paizo probably knows very little about developing a crpg.

Owlcat knew very little about developing a CRPG when they were developing Kingmaker. ;)

You've got to be shitting me…*facepalm*.

*Edit* I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm just surprised they went with that IP.

Last edited:
Weird. I really don't think "RPG" when I think W40k. Of course, DnD started off as Chainmail, so… I'll try to keep an open mind.

promo video:

Well... no. Not my cup of tea.

Weird. I really don't think "RPG" when I think W40k. Of course, DnD started off as Chainmail, so… I'll try to keep an open mind.

In the original version, there was much more of an RPG element, with a GM and a campaign, and so on. Later on it became a straight-up tabletop battle game. But I could definitely see a good cRPG being possible in that setting.

Back
Top Bottom