Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Review @ Ye Old Entertainment

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ye Old Entertainment checked out Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous:

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous Review. Baldur's Gate 2 spiritual successor? Pale Imitation?

Welcome to our Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous Review. This was one of the big three RPG titles that was meant to be released in 2021 along with Solasta Crown of the Magister and Baldur's Gate 3.
Thanks MAHak!

More information.

You need to really have a lot of time to waste to watch this entire 1h26 review entirely.

So for those playing how buggy is the game these days?

I see recent negative reviews complaining of certain class features not working as they should, and worse some are complaining of either not being able to launch at all or frequent crashes to desktop, etc. Obviously not everyone is having so many problems as there's plenty of reviews heaping praise on the game but there's enough complaint of bugs & issues to give me pause. Some on Steam have said a recent patch seems to have introduced more problems, and I'm not sure if GoG version had the same issue (at least with GoG you can play an earlier version).

520.6 hours played, three complete play throughs, and never had any real serious issues. Romance with Sosiel was busted once. Some minor bugs here and there but game has been very playable for me.

Two caveats, however, one I don't play it turn based and I heard a lot, maybe most of, the bugs were related to TB. Second the newest DLC seemed to introduce a lot of bugs and I haven't played since that came out as I had planned on doing so but decided to wait till they ironed things out a little.

520.6 hours played, three complete play throughs

That is a LOT!
I have done a full playthrough. Spent a lot of time creating and re-creating my character.
Any thoughts on the most fun character to play as the main character... race / class / Mythic path?
I found the mythic path was possibly the most important choice for the story / feel. The class you use is just mechanics.
Would love some other Mythic choices. Especially good choices, as the evil Mythics don't feel quite right in this setting as much.

267 hours played since release (although it also includes DLC playtime) - there were some bugs that stopped my progress in 1st playthrough but 2nd playthrough was smooth as :)

Like Wolf, I only play in RTwP and also no mounts.

I'm holding off my 3rd run as I'm waiting for DLC #2 to release next week!

Played to the end game twice - I can't stand high-level D&D/Pathfinder as it's just bullshit, gods riding dragons fighting gods riding giants with all numbers crunched up to 11, the power fantasy just becomes too absurd at that point so I tend to stop playing around level 15-17.

But I play both TB and RTwP (depending on what is best for the situation) and also use mounts quite a bit.
Didn't have major bugs either way. And that was way closer to release than now.

Weird to read that people are still having issues with those things to begin with.

Either way, though, the implementation of the rules is simply the best there ever was. It's amazing what kinds of builds you can do.

So for those playing how buggy is the game these days?

I see recent negative reviews complaining of certain class features not working as they should, and worse some are complaining of either not being able to launch at all or frequent crashes to desktop, etc. Obviously not everyone is having so many problems as there's plenty of reviews heaping praise on the game but there's enough complaint of bugs & issues to give me pause. Some on Steam have said a recent patch seems to have introduced more problems, and I'm not sure if GoG version had the same issue (at least with GoG you can play an earlier version).

I'm currently playing it, end of chapter 3 (I think). Don't know how long. 50h maybe? I've been playing since a little before the DLC came out and noticed no problems. Of course, I'm playing slowly, so I might have not been in the wrong place of the game before they fixed the bugs.

I'm playing Rtwp. Tried turn based some fights, to try it, but it felt less good.

It feels pretty polished.

As to how good the game itself is, I'm not sure yet. I'm almost finished with chapter 3 and it is starting to feel like it's a bit too drawn out (just like Kingmaker did to me).

There are a lot of enemies that drain levels and damage attributes, which is annoying, and the spell component requirements make some spells, like resurrection, too limited (I've only found one diamond, so the rest need to be bought). These things have made me restart fights, due to not having counter spells to heal it, or not having diamonds to resurrect. It makes some fights annoying instead of exciting.

And the annoying buffing... Ugh, it's boring to cast about 30-50 spells at the start of every map and after every rest.

These complaints aside, I've enjoyed it. No masterpiece, but solid and entertaining, thus far. The plot is entertaining, and told pretty well. I'm looking forward to understanding the intricacies of it, and hopefully it won't be too predictable in the end.

Skickat från min Pixel 6 via Tapatalk

The buffing, yes… I'm neglecting that most of the time. I almost wish they implemented macros to do that like PoE's automated combat. ;)

It tooks me about 60h to reach and reclaim Drezen last time, taking my time to explore again, mostly in RTwP and trying a few different approaches for end of chapter 2. I don't have my total time in the game since they reset the counter after alpha/beta, but I think I had a little over 200 hours before the release. That doesn't mean much, a lot of that was testing and trying different features.

If you remember the Last Azlanti Challenge, there was a big variance between players too.

Abit short but prfect to watch with my morning coffee. Nop, really this is just the prfect length of the video revie.. Next time i'll make some popcorn as well.

I do agree with the comment above about higher level DnD gets kinda crazy (theSHEEEP).
In the end the combat doesn't feel like it means much… So race and class also don't feel anywhere near as important as the story and Mythic choice.
I also played it RtwP.
I do like feeling powerful, and riding dragons fighting gods on giants etc is kinda cool, but I find that you need certain specific tactics, and once you have them the combat gets a little boring / repetitive.

tbh I enjoyed solasta more… In fact I am going to replay it once the next DLC launches in a day or 2. (I might wait a week or 2 to see how the bugs go lol)

239 hours in, going through second playthrough, while I left first one unfinished somewhere around 3/4 (just a guess as Im trying to avoid spoilers so I didnt really check how far I was) . Why leaving playthrough unfinished after 200 hrs? Thats just my personal curse, which sometimes makes me dissatisfied with my character later during gameplay and consequently makes me start over. And Im playing mostly in TB mode, which is time consuming (but more fun for me). I didnt encounter any significant problems with TB mode lately. Sometimes charging doesnt work, but its possible Im just oblivious to some part of that mechanic. During second playthrough I took mount for Seelah on board and I actually find it cool and working fine. Aside of some graphical glitch that made horse and riding character "merge" few times I didnt notice problems. Also TB seems to work fine.

I know so many people quitting this game after Act 3 - actually more people than have finished it. I wonder if they all have personal curses, or it could be that the game is bloated with pointless trash combat encounters, underdeveloped, unbalanced and generally unfun during that part.

Hmmm… it had not occurred to me, but I'll advise these people to wear some charms while playing. Curses are a nasty business.

Thats just my personal curse, which sometimes makes me dissatisfied with my character later during gameplay and consequently makes me start over.

Haven't you tried to respec with Hilor, and try something else without restarting from scratch?

Or there's the Toy Box mod (that I haven't tried, but I probably will just for the camera improvement).

Haven't you tried to respec with Hilor, and try something else without restarting from scratch?

Or there's the Toy Box mod (that I haven't tried, but I probably will just for the camera improvement).
Doesn't Hilor-respeccing require selecting it as an option when starting the game? At least in my game he can't do anything.

I never respec, it somehow breaks my connection with character if I change class just like that in the middle of the game. That also means I spend literally hours with character creation. But those are no complaints, its just how I play these games.

Doesn't Hilor-respeccing require selecting it as an option when starting the game? At least in my game he can't do anything.

That's right, Enable character retrain, in the difficulty settings. You can change that on the fly apparently. I have never tried to respec, I have the same feeling as Andrew23 about it, but I just tested out of curiosity.

When your talk to Hilor at the Defender's Heart or later at the camp, and select "My companions and I need good training", he mentions that he knows a good trainer and that it's free for now, then you get a pop-up to select who needs to respec among you and your known companions.

From there, you are brought to the character creation pages.

Attachments

• hilor.jpg
    hilor.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 66
That's right, Enable character retrain, in the difficulty settings. You can change that on the fly apparently. I have never tried to respec, I have the same feeling as Andrew23 about it, but I just tested out of curiosity.

When your talk to Hilor at the Defender's Heart or later at the camp, and select "My companions and I need good training", he mentions that he knows a good trainer and that it's free for now, then you get a pop-up to select who needs to respec among you and your known companions.

From there, you are brought to the character creation pages.
Yeah, I also never respec, unless I misclicked or misunderstand a feat or something.

That is a LOT!
I have done a full playthrough. Spent a lot of time creating and re-creating my character.
Any thoughts on the most fun character to play as the main character… race / class / Mythic path?
I found the mythic path was possibly the most important choice for the story / feel. The class you use is just mechanics.
Would love some other Mythic choices. Especially good choices, as the evil Mythics don't feel quite right in this setting as much.

I think this is too highly dependent on each players tastes to answer.

My main/canon was as a Feral Champion Warpriest who followed the God of Wind and Sea and went the Azata Mythic path.

My second was a Dhampir Rogue/Sacred Huntsmen who went Mortal Legend. I didn't like Mortal Legend at all and deleted his saves the moment I finished playing.

My third was my Feral Champion Warpriest again only be went Angel this time.

Azata is my favorite although I think Angel fits best.

I played Trickster up to the start of Act 5 then stopped as didn't like where it was going. Tried Aeon for a bit but also wasn't into that.

Back
Top Bottom