WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
@Redglyph
This might be related to young people not understanding computer file systems and therefore not being able to navigate forum structures well. Young people simply click the search icon and find what they look for.

I listened to a pod a year or two ago where they interviewed science lecturers in universities. These lecturers have been forced to start computer 101 classes for a larger and larger number of university students, since they can't use a lot of software due to not understanding how folders work.

I found this link with a quick search:
https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z

Edit: I asked my daughter who is thirteen if she knows what files or folders are and she had absolutely no idea... Nooooo! I've raised a computer illiterate child! 😱😜

Edit 2: My nine year old son understands it somewhat from looking at minecraft modding videos. Phew, I'm not a complete failure. 😄

Last edited:
@Redglyph
Exactly.

But using Discord is easier than hosting a forum: no need for a server, no software to install, no security holes to patch. Maybe it's also easier to find moderators because it's a convivial platform where one can chat anytime.

Perhaps a company could see some benefit in making an equivalent forum platform, like gathering information or providing optional features for a fee. But maybe forums just belong to the past.

This might be related to young people not understanding computer file systems and therefore not being able to navigate forum structures well. Young people simply click the search icon and find what they look for.
That's an interesting point of view. It would explain why we often see lost posts in wrong threads, though this has probably been ongoing for a long time. I blame Gmail for that; I was shocked when it was first introduced and saw that the idea was to keep everything in a big mess, with a search function to retrieve emails.

It could also be the reason why the Discourse forum engine has gained in popularity [1, 2]. This system doesn't show the structure by default, and even so, it's limited to 2 levels (3 for enterprises). It's usually just a list of categories that look more like tags than subforums.

Exactly.

But using Discord is easier than hosting a forum: no need for a server, no software to install, no security holes to patch. Maybe it's also easier to find moderators because it's a convivial platform where one can chat anytime.

Perhaps a company could see some benefit in making an equivalent forum platform, like gathering information or providing optional features for a fee. But maybe forums just belong to the past.
Regarding forums belonging to the past, I think they will have their niche. But mainstream websurfing seems to be more about moment to moment communication and entertainment, and less about longer term communication and in depth learning. I guess it is inevitable that younger people shape the internet to their wants, but I don't have to like it.

And everything is "gamified" as well. Snapchat, for example, is a social gaming app masquerading as a communication app.

Edit: I really sound like an old man grumbling about progress 😄

Regarding forums belonging to the past, I think they will have their niche. But mainstream websurfing seems to be more about moment to moment communication and entertainment, and less about longer term communication and in depth learning. I guess it is inevitable that younger people shape the internet to their wants, but I don't have to like it.
I think you're right, and I've never liked it either.
There's so much to see, so much to read. Must be quick. Mustn't dwell on it.

And everything is "gamified" as well. Snapchat, for example, is a social gaming app masquerading as a communication app.
I've never used that one (it does look like a game platform), but we have a Whatsapp group for the (extended) family, and a few groups at work. Still, it's more sober and less odd than companies using Facebook for PR.

Edit: I really sound like an old man grumbling about progress 😄
Don't we all? One of the perks of wisdom. ;)

I like both format. Sometimes I'm in a mood to just chat on discord - it flows on better than forums imo. I get answers more quickly on discord than forums. But it is more difficult to find information that was discussed a while back unless its been pinned or something on discord.

I think I prefer discord when I have enough free time, while I prefer forums when I can only chat for a breif period then have to go back to work etc.

I like both format. Sometimes I'm in a mood to just chat on discord - it flows on better than forums imo. I get answers more quickly on discord than forums. But it is more difficult to find information that was discussed a while back unless its been pinned or something on discord.

I think I prefer discord when I have enough free time, while I prefer forums when I can only chat for a breif period then have to go back to work etc.
Yeah, discord is more of a chat client than a forum in my eyes. If I were younger and had friends whom I talked to online, I guess I would use discord. But the friends I stay in touch with I just text or call. Or use encrypted messaging apps.

Back
Top Bottom