WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Tips & Tricks & Help

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Last edited:
It surprised me too the first time I saw it on my rogue, the image looked like a debuff. I always try to check what they are since I've been traumatized by the ability drains in Kingmaker ;)

Indeed, it's one of three "stances" you can optionally choose from when doing sneak attacks starting at 4th level. But they shouldn't show on the avatar below (or at the top in TB) because they're not effects you happen to get, they're only abilities you enable willingly (like rage, and so on). Besides, their icon is already "glowing" to show they're active :-/ The avatar is already quite the clusterfuck of effects as it is in a regular combat, no need to add more IMO.

image.png

It's like a battle stance though. So like fighting defensively. In that way it makes sense.

Each class has specific abilities you can enable, they should be either in the class progression chart for the specific ones, on the character page, or in the special ability / feats. You can open the ability panel (the one on the screenshot above) to see those of the party characters, at their current level. Some are common.

It's easy to forget about them or lose track. Like the Acrobatics (Mobility) that all classes have (I believe?) - the blue guy with two curved blades, which reduces the chance of suffering from attacks of opportunity. Took me a long time before realizing what it was. Or Coup de Grace.

I never used Coup De Grace in the beta as I couldn't figure out a way to make it work, but now I use Ember to make people fall asleep forever, fight the others, then Coup de Grace all the sleepy people.

It's overpowered.

Speaking of stances, one that is very important is "Fighting Defensively". Consider investing 3 points on Mobility for your main tank to trade -4AB for +3AC while this is active. This is especially useful early in the game when you have no good items and spells, and later too, in higher difficulty settings. Without it, any group of enemies will eat through your frontline in no time.

What's AB ?

Speaking of stances, one that is very important is "Fighting Defensively". Consider investing 3 points on Mobility for your main tank to trade -4AB for +3AC while this is active. This is especially useful early in the game when you have no good items and spells, and later too, in higher difficulty settings. Without it, any group of enemies will eat through your frontline in no time.

I use it, but not in the thick of a fight. Being able to hit enemies is just as much of a problem as being hit, and that -4 is murder. I put my front line on fight defensively so that when enemies close with them, their first attack is at a disadvantage. Then when my characters "return fire", so to speak, I turn it off.

What's AB ?

AB = Attack Bonus, the score that gets added to a dice roll to an attack to determine whether it hits or not.
AC = Armour Class, if the result of D20+AB is less than this number, the attack misses.

It's basically a tradeoff, you lose chances to hit, and gain chances to not be hit. For most bruiser/front-line characters this is typically a very favourable trade as they are not expected to dish out that much damage, and even if they did, their party role is much better fulfilled by providing a durable wall between the enemies and the more glass-cannon type classes.

Thanks, I already tried pretty much all of that but no dice. I don't have access to a Greater Restoration spell. Lesser Restoration did nothing at all. My guess is I'd need that Greater spell or a "professional" cleric to remove his permanent stats damage. It's a different kind of damage than the one Seelah suffered. Seelah was down to 5 strength and that went back up +1 by resting but Woljif has something nastier (don't remember what it's called right now) that never went away even from literally weeks of resting (all the while the tavern battle never triggered automatically).

You can place your mouse over these debuffs - it should tell you how to remove them.

My Aasimar has lesser restoration as a race skill. Does it still cost the diamond dust? Just curious. I haven't been affected yet as I'm only in the Tavern after the maze and haven't done any quests. I do love the
+1 Shortsword of Flame
that you find there :)

Lesser restoration doesn't cost diamond dusts for anyone but restoration and great restoration do.

It's like a battle stance though. So like fighting defensively. In that way it makes sense.
The other abilities are not shown on the avatar when they're enabled, never have been (Fighting Defensively, Acrobatics/Mobility, Inspire Rage, or chosen ones like Point-Blank Shot, ...). So that's completely illogical. I reported it as a bug, it probably is.

I think it's a good idea to place those few icons in the shortcut bar, together for example on the left or right. You can see at a glance what is active for the current character and avoid keeping a mode when it's not desirable.

I wish they had a better option to access the spells like NWN2, instead of those shortcut bars. Hopefully there will be a mod for that.

The other abilities are not shown on the avatar when they're enabled, never have been (Fighting Defensively, Acrobatics/Mobility, Inspire Rage, or chosen ones like Point-Blank Shot, …). So that's completely illogical. I reported it as a bug, it probably is.

I think it's a good idea to place those few icons in the shortcut bar, together for example on the left or right. You can see at a glance what is active for the current character and avoid keeping a mode when it's not desirable.

I wish they had a better option to access the spells like NWN2, instead of those shortcut bars. Hopefully there will be a mod for that.

As far as I can see fighting defensively does show up in the screen. It's always on for seelah for me.

As far as I can see fighting defensively does show up in the screen. It's always on for seelah for me.
I've seen another bug, the character sheet does not take that into account on the character sheet, in the attack and AC. I haven't checked during combat if that made any difference but I hope so.

(And when I closed the character sheet, I lost most of the UI and keyboard, had to kill the process. We're not there yet ;) First time I have that though.)

Anyway, best not to let this ability enabled all the time. :)

PS: when I check the first ticket number I received, a few days before the release, and the last ticker number I had yesterday, there's a difference of 52938 in the count. They must be busy...

Allow me to sum up all the bug reports.:biggrin:

images

Questions is how many are actually bugs and not just player misunderstanding?

A little trick, though I suppose it's obvious.

There are skill checks required for the different phases of the game, like the conflicting checks we had in Kingmaker's kingdom management. Don't let it bug your character's evolution by spending skills when you can rely on gear and buffs.

For example, I'm really going to have some issues with the Lore (Religion) checks when resting, to keep the corruption away with Protective Rituals. No-one of my party is really good with it, Nenio has the max with +8.

A Headband of Wisdom gives the necessary boost, if she puts it on before resting. If not, maybe a potion of Owl's Wisdom (haven't tried this one).

image.png

A lot of the bugs are "I can't find this NPC" or "my mount is not moving" while the NPC is elsewhere/invisible, or the mount was hit by a paralysing attack. When a game is as complex mechanically as Pathfinder, some things are simply not well understood and when there is a rep for being buggy, the first reaction of players will be to call bug rather than trying to find out what is really going on.

The game does have a lot of bugs, that's for sure. Some of them, extremely annoying, especially in turn-based mode. I had to learn how to deal with them to push through and this may sound odd but the extra layer of "bug challenge" added to the game's own difficulty felt like fun at times. :lol:

Of course I say that because luckily I didn't experience any game-breaking bugs, that would have changed my mood drastically!

KB/HoMM sim in this game is all about archers, not about melee whatnot.
Melee whatnot is a cannon fodder only to shield your (different stacks of) archers.
1. As such the cheapest melee units are the best units.
2. You'll never have to waste ress on building mercenary related buildings.
3. Better a money spent on a bunch of rangers and thielfling archers you don't have but will combine, than on melee mercs.
Oh, I definitely agree with that. I go very heavy on ranged troops in HoMM. Sadly, I can't really do that here, as the only ones I can recruit are Marksmen (the upgraded Archers), despite having Archery Range etc. Same issue with the stables: Only the hopeless scouts are available.

I'm a bit worried I've "rushed" the map part a bit though. I've cleared most of the armies below level 10, and yet it's only been about two or three weeks of recruiting in chapter 3, which could mean that I'll have to do a lot of turn skipping in order to actually build up some forts and such. I haven't even started on that, as I've only had time to build a handful of structures in Drezen.

Also, turn skipping without any demons to beat or forts to conquer would lead to morale issues. All my values are maxed right now, but they can't really go beyond that, so if I suddenly have to skip 20 days, I'd be in trouble.

Oh, I definitely agree with that. I go very heavy on ranged troops in HoMM. Sadly, I can't really do that here, as the only ones I can recruit are Marksmen (the upgraded Archers), despite having Archery Range etc. Same issue with the stables: Only the hopeless scouts are available.

I think archery ranges, barracks and stables only increase number of your "main recruit units" (shown on top panel) only, not the mercenaries (shown on bottom panel). You can increase number of mercenaries units by building another building (I forgot what it's called).

There are other range units you can get via mercenaries - I hired tons of mongrelmen sharpshooters and rangers

The problem with mercenaries is that you can't select how many you take, it's all or nothing. Expensive business.

Still, I took a share of Hellknights to be able to face some of the enemies. I had completely forgotten they were mercenaries, and was surprised to see them under that category. :D

A tip that would help all of those who either struggle or like me don't care for the army management section of the game and feel it just gets in the way, there is a way to be done with it with minimum effort/resources spent, that is picking the female elf ranger general - not only she is perfect for going heavy on ranged units, she also comes off the bat with two of the strongest abilities, Cure Wounds and Master of Maneuver.

The first will let you what feels unlimitedly heal large chunks of troops that fall in combat, so long they are not fully eliminated, you can bring an archer troop stack of 1 back to 800 in a few rounds. You can also stall fights that you are about to win by just pressing space for your frontline to Defend and take nearly zero damage, while every round you just heal up whoever needs some replenishing.

The second ability increases the number of units you can have on the field, and it gets upgraded over the course of the campaign. This gives a very important early edge to prevent losses and get the snowball towards an invincible army going, keeping you ahead of the curve.

If you don't get the elven lady between the options offered when trying to assign a new general, just go back and launch the "assign general" screen again, at no cost, until it gets rolled between the options. It will take just a couple of attempts most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom