Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Update on September 29

Sure the megacorporatios are greedy but the blame is partly the consumers.
For sure. But the reality is there is a lot of people out there who need protecting. Personally, I think it is morally bankrupt if you sell the same thing multiple times (especially full price) and it disadvantages people who actually supported your company/game on day 1.

Anyway, like I said I am all good with Owlcat and their free enhanced editions!

I do wonder if they second season pass is going to go ahead though. My understand is the last couple of DLC didn't go particulary well for them. Maybe they will just refocus all attention to the Warhammer game. I haven't heard anything about the second season pass in a long time.

I should take up this game again and install a buff macro mod. It was the single most annoying thing in the game: to rebuff all the time.

I'll probably also play on lower difficulty since a lot of fights were annoying to replay.

For sure. But the reality is there is a lot of people out there who need protecting. Personally, I think it is morally bankrupt if you sell the same thing multiple times (especially full price) and it disadvantages people who actually supported your company/game on day 1.

Anyway, like I said I am all good with Owlcat and their free enhanced editions!

I do wonder if they second season pass is going to go ahead though. My understand is the last couple of DLC didn't go particulary well for them. Maybe they will just refocus all attention to the Warhammer game. I haven't heard anything about the second season pass in a long time.
In the AMA linked above they seem committed to the second season. They are quite careful with talking about the content of it, apart from that one dlc will be a continuation of some characters from, From the Ashes, and the others will likely impact the main story.

Because often it is shoddy business practice?

It's not as elegant but what's shoddy? I see no harm in trying to sell more copies to new customers, even if there is nothing new but a different set of DLCs. Maybe they don't have the time to develop something else for the occasion, or maybe they think it's not profitable knowing that if they don't give a free upgrade to existing owners, they'll complain or wait for that edition next time.

EDIT: Customers should be able to see what's inside the box and compare price with other offers, that's their job, not the publisher's (there are enough reviewers and content creators to denounce bad bargains). I'd say that selling an old game with a new edition at full price is silly though.

It's not as elegant but what's shoddy? I see no harm in trying to sell more copies to new customers, even if there is nothing new but a different set of DLCs. Maybe they don't have the time to develop something else for the occasion, or maybe they think it's not profitable knowing that if they don't give a free upgrade to existing owners, they'll complain or wait for that edition next time.

EDIT: Customers should be able to see what's inside the box and compare price with other offers, that's their job, not the publisher's (there are enough reviewers and content creators to denounce bad bargains). I'd say that selling an old game with a new edition at full price is silly though.
Not sure if you are agreeing or not. I was referring to companies like Zenimax and RS that release the same game many many times and even if the original buyers buy all the content (i.e. DLC) they still don't get the enhanced version when it comes out - even though minimal effort went into it. Sounds pretty shoddy to me when there are many great companies out there that do the opposite i.e. CD Projekt, Owlcat, Obsidian etc.

I am talking about Digital goods here - giving the enhanced edition is no skin off their back. Expecting people to pay multiple times is shit.

Not sure if you are agreeing or not. I was referring to companies like Zenimax and RS that release the same game many many times and even if the original buyers buy all the content (i.e. DLC) they still don't get the enhanced version when it comes out - even though minimal effort went into it. Sounds pretty shoddy to me when there are many great companies out there that do the opposite i.e. CD Projekt, Owlcat, Obsidian etc.

I am talking about Digital goods here - giving the enhanced edition is no skin off their back. Expecting people to pay multiple times is shit.
If that's a remastered / repacked edition like Skyrim 10th AE or Mass Effect LE, there's new content and/or another level of quality. Why shouldn't someone pay for it? In the case of Skyrim, there was a reduced upgrade fee for SE owners so it seems fair to me.

If that's the same content, probably repacked with all the DLC, why would someone who owns the same game buy it again? The content is clearly indicated.

Maybe you meant something else? Like for ex. just adding a few minor improvements and sell a new edition? That would be more debatable, yes. But my opinion in general is that companies have to make a profit so I may roll my eyes but I can't really blame them for that. I admire companies who are passionate, keep working on their product and reward their customers with free updates, and I'd rather buy from them, but I consider that a plus, not an obligation.

If that's a remastered / repacked edition like Skyrim 10th AE or Mass Effect LE, there's new content and/or another level of quality. Why shouldn't someone pay for it? In the case of Skyrim, there was a reduced upgrade fee for SE owners so it seems fair to me.
I am referring to Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Skyrim VSE. All of them have no new content. Also AE has zero Bethsoft content. Charging the price they did for AE is debatable but I wasn't exactly refering to it. This about someone who loved Skyrim, bought it at launch and also bought the DLC. They then got sold a "Special Edition" which was exactly the freakin same game, with a upgrade so it worked properly on 64bit systems. Somebody who bought the special edition got a better deal than someone who bought it originally. Then there is Skyrim VR - which has no new content - it actually has less content!! VSE was a complete debacle. AE is conceptually okay but most owners didn't actually get a discount. You only got that if you bought the right version on the right store!!

Mass Effect LE was a remaster, I have no problem with a decent quality remaster.

I think we are in agreement, I was not talking about companies who actually reward their customers, i'm talking about the ones that apply a cheap coat of paint and sell it like it is something new to their existing user base.

The content may of been clearly indicated for you. What about someone who has a mental impairment or who has english as a second/third language. Not all consumers are equal.

I am referring to Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim VR and Skyrim VSE. All of them have no new content. Also AE has zero Bethsoft content. Charging the price they did for AE is debatable but I wasn't exactly refering to it. This about someone who loved Skyrim, bought it at launch and also bought the DLC. They then got sold a "Special Edition" which was exactly the freakin same game, with a upgrade so it worked properly on 64bit systems. Somebody who bought the special edition got a better deal than someone who bought it originally. Then there is Skyrim VR - which has no new content - it actually has less content!! VSE was a complete debacle. AE is conceptually okay but most owners didn't actually get a discount. You only got that if you bought the right version on the right store!!

Mass Effect LE was a remaster, I have no problem with a decent quality remaster.

I think we are in agreement, I was not talking about companies who actually reward their customers, i'm talking about the ones that apply a cheap coat of paint and sell it like it is something new to their existing user base.

The content may of been clearly indicated for you. What about someone who has a mental impairment or who has english as a second/third language. Not all consumers are equal.
I see what you mean. I don't find it customer-friendly, it's obvious Bethesda is milking the product as long as they can. But I thought the Special Edition was a remaster of sort, not just for new versions of Windows but with improved graphics. Wasn't that the case?

I hear you about fans falling for what they think is a new version for such or such reason, but there are reviews and articles criticizing those new editions and explaining the content. Then it's always possible to get a refund, though it was harder a few years ago.

Unfortunately people need to be critical, or to rely on family and friends' opinion. And not only about games. It's how the world has been since there were goods and products to sell: ads tell lies, vendors make you believe they've improved the product since last time when all they did was produce a cheaper version. And on their side, companies need to advertise to sell, and change the look of the package every now and then to get some renewed interest. It's so common that I don't find Bethesda so bad in comparison.

I think I'm just neutral about the whole thing, but I won't hesitate to tell it around me when it's not a new product.

Back
Top Bottom