Pentiment - RPGWatch Review

Thanks for the review, @forgottenlor!

"Also it doesn’t bury the player in information", you made me realize this difference to the other games. It's true that the lore comes in a more natural way in Pentiment, and it wasn't overdone. Yet as you wrote, they managed to touch several interesting subjects and events of the time.

I'm curious: How did you perceive the repetition, or revival, of Andreas' role while playing Magdalena? Was it interesting to get another perspective, or did it feel too much like a redundant experience?

My impression is that it was a good and original idea to bring a reflexion on what happened. It was also an opportunity to get a little extra information from other people that Andreas didn't have the time to get, or couldn't have known. It may also be another form of "pentiment" - the drawing technique - but in this case by "painting" the story with new, similar events to improve the effect. However, I think that the 3rd act should have been shorter to avoid this feeling of too much repetition.

PS: The short gameplay was not a disadvantage for me. It makes a replay easier, and the game begs for it with all the choices and the deliberate lack of time for Andreas to solve the two murders.

Last edited:
Great review - have it on my wish list and your review reminded me I wish to get it!

Encouraging. I've seen mixed reviews, but I was looking forward to this.I'll pick it up as soon as it drops below $10.

Good review.

I finished Pentiment several days ago and almost the only gameplay is in dialog choices. The experience I had was much closer to reading a book than to playing an RPG.

I only somewhat enjoyed the characters and story, and the game. I'm mostly glad that I played it.

Thanks for the review, @forgottenlor!

"Also it doesn’t bury the player in information", you made me realize this difference to the other games. It's true that the lore comes in a more natural way in Pentiment, and it wasn't overdone. Yet as you wrote, they managed to touch several interesting subjects and events of the time.

I'm curious: How did you perceive the repetition, or revival, of Andreas' role while playing Magdalena? Was it interesting to get another perspective, or did it feel too much like a redundant experience?

My impression is that it was a good and original idea to bring a reflexion on what happened. It was also an opportunity to get a little extra information from other people that Andreas didn't have the time to get, or couldn't have known. It may also be another form of "pentiment" - the drawing technique - but in this case by "painting" the story with new, similar events to improve the effect. However, I think that the 3rd act should have been shorter to avoid this feeling of too much repetition.

PS: The short gameplay was not a disadvantage for me. It makes a replay easier, and the game begs for it with all the choices and the deliberate lack of time for Andreas to solve the two murders.
I agree with almost everything you say. The perspective change was an advantage in the last act, but it would have been better if it was shorter. I think having time pressure and missing out on say one of 3 possible quest branches would have also helped Magdalena's act as well.

Good review.

I finished Pentiment several days ago and almost the only gameplay is in dialog choices. The experience I had was much closer to reading a book than to playing an RPG.

I only somewhat enjoyed the characters and story, and the game. I'm mostly glad that I played it.
I also agree that it feels like you are role playing both protagonists, which separates Pentiment from a typical adventure or visual novel game. However, for me an RPG must have character advancement and more complex mechanics.

There are too many choices for me to consider that as reading a book, and it is almost entirely made up of dialogues so it would be a poor narrative. But the way it reveals tidbits of information on the whole story could make it a good example on how an interactive book should be organized. Minus the logic flaws :p

Or it could be transformed into a normal book that reveals the same story from different point of views, like An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears in which a mystery is reported successively by several characters, slowly revealing the truth by assembling the pieces of the puzzle.

I enjoyed the first act the most but by the 3rd act some of the magic was rubbing off. The main gameplay mechanic (morning/afternoon/evening schedule) was quite repetitive and I would of preferred a bit more freeform in some of the segments i.e. Cruise for a Corpse style or similar. I also encountered a suprising number of bugs like characters rendering behind/infront of things incorrectly or logic bugs like characters talking about an upcoming event that actually already happened - I did play it about 3 months ago so maybe some of these things have been fixed.

Nice review @forgottenlor , very brief, but then so was the game I suppose. Yes, the lack of mechanics would put me off but I can see how it would make for a nice day or two's read for people who like this sort of thing.

Thank you for this review. I do won the game but I've not manged to get into it yet. You just made me a lot more likely to take that plunge!

Nice review @forgottenlor , very brief, but then so was the game I suppose. Yes, the lack of mechanics would put me off but I can see how it would make for a nice day or two's read for people who like this sort of thing.
In a game like this which is about 80% narrative, its difficult to write a longer review without including spoilers (at least for me).

Flew absolutely under my radar. I'll buy it, after having read this review, for sure.

Good review forgottenlor but it looks like Obsidian has all but given up on the game. As a segment of buyers cant even play it, due to a known startup bug never being fixed.

Back
Top Bottom