Personal things you don't need to know

Ahhhh the profoundly talented Hay family, I last saw him on tour in 2015 I think it was, with the Femmes. And he's been quite kind to his faux "niece", Sia, who I simply adore. Those first two Men at Work albums are still well worth listening to, especially Cargo. I'll always have a fondness for Looking for Jack as well.

I love that song, so much fun to listen to :)

Yup, but still a weird place name for thousand of kilometres from Greece.

Agreed !

But, on the other side, the U.S. has place names like this as well ! ;)

Yes, they even changed place names for marketing. For example, for a long time, the best salt in the world came from Venice, Italy. A town in upstate New York produced inferior salt but changed the town name to Venice to say the salt was from Venice (from Salt: A world history by Mark Kurlansky). Also, no doubt, true for many other names in many countries.

I just killed Bixby.

Who's Bixby? If you have a Samsung gadget from hell, you should know that Bixby is that extreeemely annoying "helper" who all the time pops up complaining that it hasn't the necessary rights to do it's thing.

I've tried to get rid of it, without success. Now it was possible. Admittedly, I don't know if disabling it is a new feature, or if I somehow have managed to overlook it. But anyhow: It's now dead and gone. Good riddance and may you RIA (rest in agony).

pibbuR who, if it wasn't a Sunday today, would buy a beer to celebrate.

PS. There's still that Google Helper, but that one hasn't bothered me lately, so maybe it has learned. DS.

PPS. Before finding out how to get rid of it, I decided to try configuring the voice interface since it was constantly nagging about it. It asked me to 3 times say "Hello, Bixby", but refused to understand "F*ck off". DS.

I remember Clippy.

I've started learning Vulkan. Thought about DX and openGL, and ended up with the magma chamber.

pibbur who realizes he has to freshen up his C++ skills as well. Yay!

I remember Clippy.

You forgot the obligatory swear words accampanying the *** ***** **** Clippy. ****!

pibbuR who knew his daughter was his daughter the time when she first saw the (**** *** ****) Dog search assistant in some-don't-remember-which Windows release and immediately yelled: That one has to go!!!

Last edited:
Office 97-2000 has these ... Companions ? Wizards ? Assistants ? Clippy was one of them.
There was some kind of toolkit by Microsoft to program own "helpers" of this sort ... There was a wizard-looking one as well. I was sad that I never managed this one to run in office.
A few of them remained as search animations in Windows xp.

That was the more home user oriented phase of Microsoft; nowadays, they're strictly B2B.

Whelp seems a hurricane is heading my way now in Connecticut. o_o

Hopefully the damage is minimum as I live on the coast.

You better get off your couch and hide behind it. If worse comes to worst, you could always use it as a flotation device. ;)

Nah I'll float instead of sinking. More padding and all that.:lol:

Stay safe.

I'm glad others get the periodic visits from hurricanes as well!

In all seriousness, be safe, stock up on water and soups, and have a towel or three handy.

Back
Top Bottom