Personal things you don't need to know

P

pibbur who

When I (or an earlier incarnation of me) made the "Things you don't need to know", my intention was to create a thread for trivial knowledge. Not personal things. I'm fully aware that I (or another earlier incarnation of me) have broken those intentions. But not anymore. Hence this thread.

I've told you about my new supercomputer, which I've now put to use. It works very well. But while preparing the new one, I had to move the old one, and even pick some parts from it. So I did, but due to incompetence and a somewhat crowded den, I managed to loose my grip on gravity and fell upon the olde machine. The major affected body part was my chest. So….

I've got myself a rib fracture. I haven't been to a doctor with it, apart from myself, and have not had an xtray of my chest, as the clinical findings are straight from the textbooks, And since I'm not short of breath, my lungs inside the chest wall are not punctured. So there's not much to do about it, the neighbouring ribs provide enough stability so it will grow just fine.

But its painful. And pain hurts.

So far it seems that ibuprophene or similar drugs can handle it, I hope I won't need stronger painkillers. That depends on my breathing - long time shallow breathing due to pain is not particularly healthy.

poor pibbur who feels sorry for himself.

Oh dear! Broken ribs are very painful - I remember.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if Pibbur got himself checked out by a doctor, just in case there's any complications? Lung contusions without puncture?

Hope you'll get better soon, and you better be more careful.

Also, I am really sorry, but I couldn't help but to laugh just a little at the absurd way to get hurt..... probably it felt a little better not to fall on the new supercomputer? even if it'd have been equally bad for your chest ?

Hope you'll get better soon, and you better be more careful.

Also, I am really sorry, but I couldn't help but to laugh just a little at the absurd way to get hurt….. probably it felt a little better not to fall on the new supercomputer? even if it'd have been equally bad for your chest ?

No need to be sorry, after all I wrote about it in a (hopefully) humorous way.

pibbur should promise to be more careful, but ......

You have a wife and you're carrying stuff around yourself?!?! :)

At the moment, no.

Before that - well, she uses to call me her beast of burden.

pibbur who meek and obedient follows his leader down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel.

At the moment, no.

Before that - well, she uses to call me her beast of burden.

pibbur who meek and obedient follows his leader down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel.

Most likely the safest path to any destination under those circumstances ;)

I've cracked my ribs a few times thanks to my mountain bike and doing things I probably shouldn't have. It sucks but I never went to a doctor on any of them and I still turned out fine. *twitch* I believe your medical system isn't as stupid and expensive as ours so if its basically free then I would get it xrayed to be safe, otherwise I wouldn't.

That looks pretty painful, pibbur. Don't let it best you.

I was in vacation in Vancouver last week. I really liked being there, but I found that people in general were a pit stuck up/pretentious, and that was a bit of a turn-off. I was also stunned by the amount of Starbucks just about everywhere; I think I counted at least 15 just in Vancouver downtown and I have not been everywhere. It just went on and on and on. I think it shows Vancouver is hipster-central beyond a shadow of a doubt, LOL.

It does rain all the time. I went without an umbrella, telling myself I could easily buy on there in almost any shop. I went into a London Drugs drugstore, and sure enough, there were umbrellas right near the entrance!

At any rate, it is a very impressive city. Sometimes you do wonder which continent you are on, as it has a very high proportion of Asian people; it is undoubtedly a very popular destination among Asian immigrants. Around my hotel, there were about 15 to 20 Japanese/Korean/Malaysian restaurants! I will miss it because the food in these was delicious and I would love to be able to go in such restaurants every week! It just tastes better when it's people from these areas who own and staff the restaurant, there simply is no question.

There are a lot of people who have quite a good deal of money seeing the amount of luxury shops on there. It's part of why I went, I wanted to see if I could buy a Breitling watch at a good price. I ended up not doing it, because the prices were too high for my liking, which is due to the Canadian dollar dropping a lot against the US dollar.

I also saw sequoia trees for the first time in my life when I toured the famous Stanley Park. These sure are some big trunks.

The saddest part of Vancouver though is the vast quantity of homeless people begging on the streets. A lot of drug addicts too; in the evening/night I sporadically heard people screaming random nonsense and looking stoned and in pain. I was particularly saddened to realize that many homeless in Vancouver are French-Canadians like me. Although Vancouver is very far from Quebec, it does have a very small (roughly 1.2%) francophone population, most of which are living at poverty levels. One of the homeless who approached me seemed to speak with a French accent; I addressed him in French and discovered he was indeed a French-Canadian. Then I told the man I couldn't leave him like that and gave him $20.

I also met someone from the Codex who lives there, he was a very cool individual and it was pleasant to have someone explain more context of the city. So someone from these boards has finally met me and witnessed I am indeed real and not some sort of elaborate trolling account.

Next week I am going to Sydney. I intend to determine which country, out of Australia and Canada, is the most decadent.

WHY,WHY,WHY, do visitors to Australia go to Sydney????!!!!???? It's certainly FAR more decadent than Vancouver (where my brother lives). It's just a big horrible city like any other big horrible city. It's definitely NOT a good example of what Australia is all about!!

Pibs, sorry to hear about the ribs, but stop being so selfish and allow another poor doctor to earn a living by treating your injury and I hope you took good care of your terribly abused old computer!! :)

Yuck, that's where all the politicians live and not much else; a bit like Ottawa I suppose. It's an artificial city, created just for hosting our gov't!!

Sorry to hear that you're in pain, pibbur. I have back pain myself and know how that can be. Good luck and get well soon! :)

Yuck, that's where all the politicians live and not much else; a bit like Ottawa I suppose. It's an artificial city, created just for hosting our gov't!!

I like boring cities :D

I like boring cities :D

Says he who wants to go to the land with, according to animal planet, 72 deadly species of animals. And human inhabitants descending from convicts. Who play cricket. And who speaks heavily distorted english. (Well, so do canadians too. I think.). And…..

Pibbur who would like to go down under as well but who will listen to Corwin regarding specifically where to go.

Last edited:
I have arrived in Sydney. Currently at a burger shop. I need to wait a few hours before check-in time, I haven't slept for 48 hours as of now.

Corwin is absolutely right that Sydney is very similar to Toronto in many respects. Indeed save for the cars driving on the left lane and the tropical weather it often looks almost indistinguishable.

And wow everything is so much more expensive here it's amazing! I'll never complain about Canadian prices again.

Not everything is more expensive, and you need to remember a couple of important things. First, our prices are GST inclusive; you don't have to 'add on' the extra 12-15% you pay for taxes in Canada. Secondly, there's almost NO tipping in Oz, so when a restaurant meal is say $15 that's what you pay!!
When I was in Canada 18 months ago I found some things more expensive, and some things cheaper, but all in all it mainly balanced out. You also have to know where to shop and downtown Sydney is not cheap!! :)

Oh, and WE don't consider Sydney to be tropical!! :p :)

Oh, and WE don't consider Sydney to be tropical!! :p :)

Of course you don't. You consider an island not meant for humans inhabitable. :)

pibbur who is more an more tempted to go down there, now he even might do it.

Back
Top Bottom