Personal things you don't need to know

Good luck !

I cut this following text from the "character portraits" discussion in our Pathfinder Wrath discussio :

Regarding portraits : Still, after all these years, I*m still full of jealousy about those people who can draw and paint properly. ;)
I often wished I could have done that. Especially with games, they are very graphics oriented. There are so few games with good stories, and fewer people who play them (most play action games of any sorts), which - frankly spoken - always makes me feel inferior compared to graphics artists, because I'm not only unable to draw good pictures, I'm even unable to invent and develop great stories !
Not to mention music, where I have the same problem ...

Pictures are so much more universal than spoken words ...

But that's my very personal problem I have to cope with ... At least I can say that I had been participating in a scientific drawing course more than 20 years ago ...

This night was the first time temperatures dropped below 273.15. There were frost on the lawn when we woke up, And ice on the car windows, which I of ccourse had to scrape off before driving today.

5-CfJaT4WfoA-bhZkp7LHQ0KWnuAlsQjXwIvFC0L-YPQ.jpg

Fortunately, because of this I cannot work on the lawn today. Have to postpone it until tomorrow when the rain comes back.

pibbur who unlike the wife doesn freeze easily.

PS. BTW, the car in the picture is not mine. I have a Hyundai. The car belongs to a guy who lost his driver's licence for a while. And no doubt was awarded a thousands of NOK's (hundreds of USD's) fine. DS.

Ice on glass can make beautifuul "ice flowers", as we call them here. :)

Here is no ice so far, but soon all more sensitive plants need to get inside ...

I like this time of year - after harvest time, and just before Halloween. I enjoy a place with strongly changing seasons. The only part of the year I don't like is the post-Christmas/early-Spring clammy, grey, moistness.

This night was the first time temperatures dropped below 273.15. There were frost on the lawn when we woke up, And ice on the car windows, which I of ccourse had to scrape off before driving today.

5-CfJaT4WfoA-bhZkp7LHQ0KWnuAlsQjXwIvFC0L-YPQ.jpg

Fortunately, because of this I cannot work on the lawn today. Have to postpone it until tomorrow when the rain comes back.

pibbur who unlike the wife doesn freeze easily.

PS. BTW, the car in the picture is not mine. I have a Hyundai. The car belongs to a guy who lost his driver's licence for a while. And no doubt was awarded a thousands of NOK's (hundreds of USD's) fine. DS.

LordKelvin would be proud of you!!

I'm p****d!!!!

Last week I had an appointment with my GP. This time she wanted to measure my height and I foolishly agreed. The result 189.2 cm which according to my sources is close to the average height of the dutch (males, probably).

WTF!! I'm 191!!!

If the measurement is correct I have shrunken (which actually happens when geting older).

Now, there are things to do about it. Too late fror growth hormones, but we can cut my femurs in two, mounting frames with screws and thus extend the bones little by little. Rumours has it that it may be a bit painful - I can live with that. But what is worse - nobody is likely to apply the proceduyre on a level 67 measuring cose to 190. I have a couple of saws, and I have clamps which could be modified for the purpose, so I could do it myself in principle. But I don't have the necessary facilities for sterilizing the equipment. Importing germs parenterally into the body is in general not recommended, but YOU ESPECIALLY DON'T WANT TO INTRODUCE GERMS INTO YOUR BONE TISSUES. So, alas, it's out of the question.

pibbuR who is frustrated.

Aww.
That's what you get when you are not whitening the ceiling every year, pibbuR.
The Dutch have known this for a looong time.
That's why we keep adjusting the height of it:
100 years ago our houses had ceilings reaching till 2mtr. high.
50 years ago, on average: 220 cm.
After that but before 2012: 240 cm.
Since 2012 they need to be at least: 260 cm.

Now you know how we became the tallest. ;)

Last edited:
If the measurement is correct I have shrunken (which actually happens when geting older).

Now, there are things to do about it. Too late fror growth hormones, but we can cut my femurs in two, mounting frames with screws and thus extend the bones little by little. Rumours has it that it may be a bit painful - I can live with that. But what is worse - nobody is likely to apply the proceduyre on a level 67 measuring cose to 190. I have a couple of saws, and I have clamps which could be modified for the purpose, so I could do it myself in principle. But I don't have the necessary facilities for sterilizing the equipment. Importing germs parenterally into the body is in general not recommended, but YOU ESPECIALLY DON'T WANT TO INTRODUCE GERMS INTO YOUR BONE TISSUES. So, alas, it's out of the question.

pibbuR who is frustrated.

That's a serious predicament, and don't worry, this will remain between us.

The first method can be visualized in the film Gattaca, that I recommend to watch anyway. It should provide you with interesting details and may give you ideas, but I suspect you've already watched it.

Don't bother with the keyboard clean-up and other side activities, that's only if you want to go to space. ;)

I've been told once that the measurement depended on the time of day, we are longer just after getting up, and shorter in the evening. I think the doctor said it could make 1 cm of difference, which seems like a lot.

I was told that no-one wanted to buy the old house of my grandparents (country side), because the ceiling was too low. And the room entrances too small.

Me, I'm under 1,70, and it was fitting always very nicely to me. All these modern flats are so huge to me ... ( I mean their height ... )

I lost nearly two inches in height almost twenty years ago, when I had a vertebrae removed and replaced, and another shored up with titanium rods. Something that certainly wasn't mentioned before the surgery, yet not much you can do about it after the fact. Then again, it was sort of the least of my issues. -p

I'm p****d!!!!

Last week I had an appointment with my GP. This time she wanted to measure my height and I foolishly agreed. The result 189.2 cm which according to my sources is close to the average height of the dutch (males, probably).

WTF!! I'm 191!!!

In some ways things didn't seem that bad for a while. Based on the red glyph's information (which I actually knew) about shrinking during the hardships of the day, I've made a decision:

For our next appointment with the GP, I will demand that we start at 07:00 (24 hour cycle). And I will arrive at her office by ambulance, in order to stand upright as little as possible. That should do the trick.

So for a while things were looking good. But then, this morning the wife blatantly insulted me. She asked me to put the waffle iron, which we had used yesterday, back in place on the upper shelf in the kitchen. If I could reach it without using a ladder. Hah!!! I CAN REACH EVERYWHERE INSIDE THE HOUSE WITHOUT USING A LADDER!!!!. This is worse than asking me to carry something while at the same time claiming it's heavy!!!

pibbuR who despite the insult is not contemplating divorce

So for a while things were looking good. But then, this morning the wife blatantly insulted me. She asked me to put the waffle iron, which we had used yesterday, back in place on the upper shelf in the kitchen. If I could reach it without using a ladder. Hah!!! I CAN REACH EVERYWHERE INSIDE THE HOUSE WITHOUT USING A LADDER!!!!. This is worse than asking me to carry something while at the same time claiming it's heavy!!!

Is the shelf or the cupboard made of wood? I have noticed that wood had a nasty tendency to dilate with humidity, and I know that up there in the North you have a lot of water.

It's a fact, last Autumn we couldn't close or open a few doors anymore because they were too tight in their frame, I had to sand others before it was too late (I'm not joking). Thankfully after a dry Winter, the seized up doors shrank back to normal as if nothing happened.

So if one day you cannot reach this shelf anymore, it's likely due to humidity and nothing else. In which case, you just have to wait for the next Winter.

(I don't know why this perfectly logical reasoning reminds me of the "witch argument" by the Monty Python...)

Is the shelf or the cupboard made of wood? I have noticed that wood had a nasty tendency to dilate with humidity, and I know that up there in the North you have a lot of water.
And we build things to compensate for that. Seldom a problem.

(I don't know why this perfectly logical reasoning reminds me of the "witch argument" by the Monty Python…)

Always time for something completely different.

pibbuR

Hm. I am a bit disappointed in you pibbuR. I had hoped to see you writing that now your body is acting in such a treacherous way you are finally beginning to see a glimpse of the reality your wife has had to live in for her entire life, a reality which consists of getting ladders, stools, steps etc. Even when going to the bathroom in a public place sometimes means having to stand on toes to see just the upper part of your face in the mirror because the guys hanging that thing only check whether THEY can see their reflection. :wall:
But hey, maybe that is just a Dutch problem, with (apparently) dumb guys of 1.80 - 2 meters (5.9-6.56 feet) working at building sites.

Me, I'm 1,65 high, I'm used to not being able to reach everything.

I may have mentioned that I'm currently on the train from Oslo to Bergen (after having visited my oldest who lives in the eastern part of Norway). Just left Nesbyen (the city of Nes), which as you can see isn't much of a city.

proxy-image

The good thing is that we're now approaching the mountain regions which is much more intresting than the rather boring 3 hours spent in the lowlands on the journey so far.

pibbuR who assumes the Hurls can confirm that.

PS. Another "interesting" aspect of my visit was yesterday at the hotel, when I was waiting for the lift to come to my 6th floor. Out came two younng women, who was visibly and auditively shocked (scared?) when they saw me. They even forgot where they really were going, it seems. So now I know this is how women react to me (innocent looking 190 cm tall man, long greyish hair and beard, dressed casually in black) these days. PS.

I may have mentioned that I'm currently on the train from Oslo to Bergen (after having visited my oldest who lives in the eastern part of Norway). Just left Nesbyen (the city of Nes), which as you can see isn't much of a city.

proxy-image

The good thing is that we're now approaching the mountain regions which is much more intresting than the rather boring 3 hours spent in the lowlands on the journey so far.

pibbuR who assumes the Hurls can confirm that.

PS. Another "interesting" aspect of my visit was yesterday at the hotel, when I was waiting for the lift to come to my 6th floor. Out came two younng women, who was visibly and auditively shocked (scared?) when they saw me. They even forgot where they really were going, it seems. So now I know this is how women react to me (innocent looking 190 cm tall man, long greyish hair and beard, dressed casually in black) these days. PS.

I thought the entire trip was interesting. The change from city to country 5en rising into the mountains and then down to the fjords. All just stunning!

I thought the entire trip was interesting. The change from city to country 5en rising into the mountains and then down to the fjords. All just stunning!

I understand.

pibbuR who OTOH has travelled the distance 200+ times and (sadly) no doubt is a bit more|too picky these days. HE DEMANDS MOUNTAINS!!!!

Aww.
That's what you get when you are not whitening the ceiling every year, pibbuR.
The Dutch have known this for a looong time.
That's why we keep adjusting the height of it:
100 years ago our houses had ceilings reaching till 2mtr. high.
50 years ago, on average: 220 cm.
After that but before 2012: 240 cm.
Since 2012 they need to be at least: 260 cm.

Now you know how we became the tallest. ;)

What do you do with all the houses built 50 years ago and before?

Back
Top Bottom