Phoenix Point - Review @ Kordanor's Gaming Lair

Thanks for the review, Kordanor.

I'll definitely have to give Phoenix Point another try someday. For me, it didn't seem as fun as XCOM. To be fair though, I didn't play it very long, and I might have been a little burned-out on tactics at the time since it was immediately after finishing XCOM 2.

Good job, Kordanor. I usually don't watch video reviews, but I was curious as to your conclusion (so I only watched that bit).
I really liked Firaxis' XCOM, so I'll definitely take PP for a spin as well once it's complete (probably at the Year Five Edition or so). :)

Thanks for the review @Kordanor;! It was a good idea to include the little piece of history, it's always interesting to see where they are coming from, and it explains the similarities.

Thanks guys! At least for now no additional docs are planned. The last one from the expansion pass was just released on march 1st (and a hotfix thereafter to fix some of the new issues). I think it's possible but unlikely that they do additional DLCs. I would hope for a few more patches though.

Like JDR13, I kinda bounced off this quickly but keep thinking it deserves another try at some point. Maybe this will be the motivation I need!

Hey Kordanor, I did listen you talk about the DLC and how you had to have them before you start a new game.

Is your review based on all DLC enabled? It looked like Festering skies/Kaos engines were not enabled at the start of your video?

Nice comprehensive review. I could tell from watching it, that this game has too much juggling to do, all those different things you have to keep track of and do. And all those different screens you have to use, and the endless scrolling and such with that interface....yikes! Not for me.

I enjoyed the historical angle in your review as well. Regarding that, I played and liked (2012 edition) X-com, at first, but then found several issues that basically led me to not play it anymore.

Great game concept though - an invading hostile extraterrestrial force.

For anyone waiting because you don't have the last two DLCs yet, don't. The reviews for Festering Skies are terrible, and Kaos Engines doesn't add much to the game.

Thank you for the review, I admire your tenacity :)

I tried it 2 times at different level of DLC availability and was pushed back.
More you progress in the game and more you are punished by the interface for doing so. Managing units, planes, items, progression, bases.. Everything becomes a chore, not only because of the endless scrolling but because as you mention the information is split in different screens.
The chore of managing your organization scales better than the difficulty of the game itself at latter stages.

are there any mods to cut down on those chores ? like craft rename/organize

Was really excited about this one because I'm an Xcom fan, but like others it just didn't work for me. Felt like they came up with a lot of really cool ideas but didn't take enough time making sure they meshed together into a fun game. Still I may give it a try again once the last DLC is out.

I've never found anything particularly compelling about the game back early or with recent GP attempts. There's nothing immediately compelling, interesting, fun, or anything with the game to me and these days I'm wanting that out of games right away, not after I've spent 20 hours wallowing in mediocrity, if ever.

I jumped on the chance to refund when they whored out to Epic and have never regretted it - glad they gave folks the option.

I too feel like I haven't given this game a fair shake but at the same time, I'm only willing to invest so much mental energy in trying to find the good in mediocre games when there are so many great games around. In the big scheme of gaming priority with a constant flow of new, weaksauce like this game sits forever unvisited.

Hey Kordanor, I did listen you talk about the DLC and how you had to have them before you start a new game.

Is your review based on all DLC enabled? It looked like Festering skies/Kaos engines were not enabled at the start of your video?

I only played with the docs included in the year one edition (the base edition on steam after one year of epic exclusivity). My playthrough took well over 200h and you don't want to restart for just a few rather minor changes. I did look into the content of the docs though without playing them, and their additions are rather minor for the biggest part. Some even dislike them and disable them for their playthroughs. I don't think they add much value or would change anything mentioned in the review. But they are also rather cheap so if any of them appeal to you, then sure, give them a go. The last dlc for example adds new vehicles but I hardly used them in my playthrough. It also adds a few new weapons though. Guess there is no damage in using the expansion, but it won't change much.

I've never found anything particularly compelling about the game back early or with recent GP attempts. There's nothing immediately compelling, interesting, fun, or anything with the game to me and these days I'm wanting that out of games right away, not after I've spent 20 hours wallowing in mediocrity, if ever.

I jumped on the chance to refund when they whored out to Epic and have never regretted it - glad they gave folks the option.

I too feel like I haven't given this game a fair shake but at the same time, I'm only willing to invest so much mental energy in trying to find the good in mediocre games when there are so many great games around. In the big scheme of gaming priority with a constant flow of new, weaksauce like this game sits forever unvisited.

So a guy who lives in some point of Phoenix doesn't like Phoenix Point? :p :p

Thanks Kord, I got all the content for "free" because it was part of the Kickstarter early bird pledge so I guess I will wait a bit more till they patch Kaos Engines. It's a bit sad to hear that the quality of the DLC may not be great though. I'll still wait for the "complete" edition though...

Back
Top Bottom