Pillars of Eternity II - No Longer Coming to Switch

OK, checked in to see if people who don't care about something STILL have to drop in to show off their pseudo-elitism that is actually just ignorance and arrogance.

Yep.

Exactly. If you look at the charts, last month the Switch sold more than EVERY OTHER CONSOLE COMBINED (PS5, XBOX Series S|X, PS4, XBone, etc.).

BTW @skreeg … WRONG. It is incredibly popular across ages, and western FPS and RPG games (Skyrim, Divinity, Witcher, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Civ 6, etc) have sold in the hundreds of thousands to millions of copies.

Being ignorant is not the flex you think it is.

I may be wrong, but I think you're being ignorant of the spirit in which these posts were made. At least, that's not at all how I interpreted them.

In any case, I wouldn't be so prompt to insult them.

I'm just about done with PoE (finally, only took three tries and 7 years!) and looking forward to PoE 2, but I can't see these games working well on a platform like the Switch. I played BG EE on my original Surface Pro and was amazed at how well the interface worked there, but I was able to use the stylus as a mouse.

Ohh and I'm 46 and have a switch! Wish I played it more.

@txa1265; – dude, relax. If you honestly think I'm angry that someone younger than me enjoys consoles... no, I was going for irony, that crotchety old man energy. :D

OK, checked in to see if people who don't care about something STILL

Hey, great to see you've taken this task upon you checking in every now and then to see if people who don't care still . . .

STILL have to drop in to show off their pseudo-elitism

O no. Whew, glad, YOU dropped in to show us your. . .

elitism that is actually just

:)

Right, well, good we have cleared that up. Thanks for your . . . drop.

Last edited:
Let me check if I understand:
- See a post related to a console they neither have nor are interested in.
- Intentionally enter and post condescending, uninformed, and derailing comments

Yeah, pretty much it. There are literally thousands of threads here NOT related to the Switch - and even in this thread I participated along with others in actual analysis looking and thinking about the actual news item.

Also, this is something that happens literally 100% of the time - if there is a post about CRPG gaming on Switch, Mac or iPad, you can be sure that the trolls will appear to offer snide comments while making it clear that they have no interest in the subject while derailing the discussion (but it is just a joke, right?).

Time and time again I have made a request - pease stop.. If you aren't interested in the Switch - STAY OUT OF THE THREADS. Really simple, but because of the types of people they are, they lack the impulse control to NOT crap all over these threads … and here is the thing - 100% of the time the admins WILL side with them. 100%. And yes, it pisses me off - because it shows that the admins foster a culture of hostility to non-PC gamers and gaming.

What you wrote is interesting to me because it echoes some feelings I had when posting or seeing news on some topics, and seeing replies along the lines of "I'm not interested" or "I don't like it". Which made me often wonder why they felt compelled to post that. After all, it would be easier to just skip the thread and find a more interesting one, right?

I came to realize that more often than not, the first post is a good excuse to have a discussion on the subject, rather that reading the whole article or watching the video and restricting the comments on the content (which would quickly become boring).

Also, people like to give their opinion. While it appears unnecessary to post "I'm not interested" at first, it helps knowing others and interpreting their reviews of games better. Or it's just a sign that something in the topic of the post makes it uninteresting, and knowing why could be valuable after all.

Sometimes it's just someone trying to understand the subject, but asking the wrong question, or not saying it straight.

So now I'm trying to think about that when I see those answers - that I've surely made too. Even if sometimes it's just "trolling" - or more diplomatically said, venting on a frustration one had.

For what it's worth, maybe that helps a little, even if it's out of topic.

@txa1265;
People will never stop commenting on things that they have no interest in because they (think they) don't like it, they don't (want to) know it, or whatever. They'll keep on commenting to show their dislike, their frustration, whatever. The Watch offers an opportunity to ventilate that. And because it is of little importance to the ones talking it about it in a negative way they forget they have done so x times before, or that others have done so already in the same or other threads.

You on the other hand, you remember all those times well, for you disagree, you DO like the topic, the game, the non-PC specificity. You do remember every comment because you were annoyed every time before. For it matters to you.
Which is fine.

The thing I find odd is that you are complaining about "the condescending", "derailing comments" while doing exactly the same thing.

Second thing I find odd is that by now you should have learned that whatever you do or say people won't stop ventilating their feeling about seeing stuff posted they don't like to read.

My advise to you is to save your energy and time and just focus on the things you'd like to share about the topic - the topic.
Do not concentrate on the few members that post here, you are well aware, just as I am, there are far many more readers than active members, and I am very sure that the ones that clicked on the topic on the front page or the forum page to read the comments beneath the topic are hoping to find posts from people who share their enthusiasm for a certain kind of game, or who offer more information about the topic, rather than people merely complaining in a condescending, derailing way or people compaining in a condescending, derailing way about other peoples' posts.

Last edited:
It is actually admin approved to bash any game, be it on PC, console, Mac, iPad, phone, Linux, or whatever piece of hardware one uses to play games on. It is even allowed to not like something because it is on a console, and weirdly enough it is even allowed to make an opinionated post about a game they do not play on a platform they don't have.
We have numerous restrictions on posting, but not on something like a game or a platform. I'm sure there are people who think it is a good idea to restrict what people are allowed to say about a game or a platform, but we are not going there.
When the time comes that games or platforms are identified as being persons, they fall under the restrictions of the TOS, but as long that point has not been reached, insulting a game or a platform is not off-limits.
Potentially insulting the players of such a game is something a moderator should look at, just like insulting people in general is.

Also, people like to give their opinion. While it appears unnecessary to post "I'm not interested" at first
People tend to speak about themselves and when listening/reading tend to think what that means to themselves, they take things personal (what does this mean to me).

Quite often the words spoken should NOT be taken personal by the one listening/reading: it has got nothing to do with any other person than the person who is talking, who is merely talking about his/her own opinion/feeling/experience.

Although I can definitely understand the feeling of the news editor when reading 'I am not interested' in the comments, maybe even in the first comment, it usually does not go any further than: me, I am not interested in this.
People are offered a chance to give their opinion, and so they give it. It is like getting a microphone under your chin: 'what do you think?' Answer: 'This does not interest me', 'this sucks', 'I think it is boring', etc.

Even if all comments beneath the newsbit contain that same message, it does not mean that putting up this newsbit on the frontpage was a bad decision.
Again, there are more readers than members. And more members than active posters.

'This does not interest me', does not say anything but 'This is of no interest to this one person'.

A question like 'Could you perhaps post different things as well?' could say more about a wish for a change in the chosen topics.
But even so, that is just the wish of one active member, a poster, it is definitely not a poll where all readers of the frontpage have given a verdict.

Last edited:
You know what - all I wanted to do was talk about PoE II coming to the switch.

Rest of the text removed by Myrthos: violation of the TOS

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't enjoy insulting people why do you do it so frequently?
Your original text was better, you at least pretended to be less of a victim.

This is a PC gaming focused site, of course many people are going to "look down" on consoles with their (relatively) horrendous hardware specs and closed, proprietary software environments. Granted, most won't feel the need to post about it. But if you were on a Ferrari forum and someone made a thread related to Hondas, and you actually like Hondas and are insecure about it, it's probably wise to not enter that thread.

Agreed Stingray, and I know I do it myself, to a small extent. Yet devices like PSP and Switch appeal to me in the sense that they are complete units, don't require hooking up to a telly/monitor, and I've owned/used both sets and really saw the value in them. I believe both saw roughly fifty times the use that my poor Playstation three ever saw, at least as a gaming machine. I still think this is a loss for the Switch community, though I now understand a bit more of why it all failed to materialize.

One of the many reasons I enjoy visiting rpg watch is that it is focused on pc gaming.

I "confess" (as if its a bad thing - gimme a break) that I consider pc gaming the best way to game. I never had a console except for the first Atari 2600. I just really like mouse and keyboard for gaming and every time I try gaming with a controller (ones I buy that connect to the pc at Amazon) I never can get used to them, and they don't feel comfortable to game using them.

That said, rpg watch does cover some console titles being ported over to the pc and I'm interested in those newsbits because there are a few console exclusive titles I'm interested in (such as the Uncharted series)

Though I have and will sing praises of some console devices, let me be clear: with the computer I stand stalwart. And I agree about controllers as well, I'll always default to keyboard and mouse, save where it's virtually impossible.

THe only thing I truly hate is - being exclusive.

This is marketing 1X1 : Create an exclusive accompanying product to put some pressure / peer pressure to get people into buying the main product. Like an exclusive game for a console. Which is following the "Razor And Blade" marketing method : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_model

I generally prefer PC, but I'm not hell bent if I have to use a different platform to enjoy a game. Speaking of Switch, I bought it exclusively to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and I never felt my experience was diminished or the game less enjoyable because it wasn't PC.

If anything, the elitism I see is more from people that are older than sin claiming that the only real games were antique unplayable PC/gold box shit and nowadays everything is worthless, not the other way around.

I generally prefer PC, but I'm not hell bent if I have to use a different platform to enjoy a game. Speaking of Switch, I bought it exclusively to play Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and I never felt my experience was diminished or the game less enjoyable because it wasn't PC.

If anything, the elitism I see is more from people that are older than sin claiming that the only real games were antique unplayable PC/gold box shit and nowadays everything is worthless, not the other way around.

I think that is reasonable, and I am with you with not being into the archaic goldbox games from the 90s. I am probably one of the only regulars here who didn't play those games at the time, though I don't consider myself "old as sin" , but that said, I am no spring chicken either. (in my early 50s)

That said, it is all about being a PC Gamer for me!

Speaking of Gold Box games they are coming to Steam this month.

Luckily Fire Emblem is not on Steam - because even Steam has a limit it will sink to ;)

Whenever someone talks about how great Fire Emblem, Fallout 4, DA:I, Assassins Creed etc I just make a mental note to never trust a recommendation from that person ever again :) Meanwhile if they like the Goldbox games, Ultimas, Gothics, Wiz/M&M then I also take note of what they are playing, because even if it is a new game if someone with similar tastes to me likes it then I might too.

Back
Top Bottom