Pithead Studio - Ex-Piranha Bytes are back

Good for them though they still don't own any past IP's. :unsure:

I guess they could buy them back from Embracer if they have the cash.

Lesson learned here is don't sell your studio to a large publisher.

They always screw you over.

Good for them though they still don't own any past IP's. :unsure:
While an existing IP gives you some benefits, the mentioning of Indy games seems to imply that they want to start much smaller than what Piranha did back last, which sounds like a reasonable plan. They have some experience with games that didn't totally suck, so there's a chance some nice things might come out of it. Too early to tell. I doubt they have the money to buy an existing IP anyway, and you would need a bigger studio to develop something there.

Yep so in essence don't expect any type of big budget RPG anytime soon.

Sad news as Elex 3 was never finished and I'm not a fan of budget RPGs.

I will keep my fingers crossed for them! :smitten:

Most members were rabid fans of their games on this small hobby site.

Hate to say it were all weird.:drunk:

Last edited:
Not owning PB's IPs isn't a major issue. Bjorn already said he wasn't going to return to Gothic anyways, and another Elex title would be a major risk considering the mediocre reception Elex II received.

Wishing them success with new studio, but I dont expect much from them. It is very long time since I really enjoyed game they worked on.

Not owning PB's IPs isn't a major issue. Bjorn already said he wasn't going to return to Gothic anyways, and another Elex title would be a major risk considering the mediocre reception Elex II received.
Doesn't matter anyway they have no intention to make another RPG based on a twitter post. Anyway it's a shit move to leave the Elex saga unfinished, but hey not surprised.

Wouldn't surprise me if Embracer hires a third rate developer to make another one.

Well, best luck to them. More RPGs is never a bad thing.

Most members were rabid fans of their games on this small hobby site.

Hate to say it were all weird.:drunk:
I think "were" is the operative word. That rabidness for me decreased with each mediocre game they put out. So dissappointing that it wouldn't have taken much to make their recent games better i.e. make them smaller - less landmass, less filler quests, less factions etc. These things would have also dramatically reduced the cost and delivery time of their games.

I would guess they either having some savings/private equity to get a demo/PoC up and running or they plan on going the kickstarter route? Of course I will keep an eye on them though. G2 is one of the best games I have played so I owe them (and all the other people who worked on it) that.

Glad to see they are back, will be really interesting to see what type of games they are aiming for yet, being "indie".

My guess is that it will be pretty much the same as before, but with much smaller scope. But I doubt we will see them doing like isometric pixelart games now.

I wouldn't mind more games in the style of Elex, honestly, even if a bit more janky. Those games never were meant to be technical prodigies, but they are good fun if you go in without excessive expectations.

Yup, I wouldn't mind seeing more sci-fi fare from this folks in the theme of Elex or even something totally new.
Agreed. Elex 2 would have been a good game if it didn't drag on in the last two chapters. In chapter 1 and 2 I was quite suprised at how fun it was. I also would have reduced the respawn rate a tad.

I'd rather see them go back to a fantasy setting. I love post-apoc, but I think they're ready for another change. Give us something similar to Gothic or Risen 1. They can do that with an indie budget.

Good for them. A pitty that they couldn't keep the name since Piranha Bytes is a fricking cool name and history in the videogame RPG world. Anyway if they are not planning to produce more Gothic like RPG games then it might be for the better.

I never got into their games anymore after the first Risen, tried a couple of them but they felt quite different. They were hardly the same Piranha Bytes that created their best games anyway but I hope the best of luck for the new studio.

I read a lot of people saying they want a more tight experience, with less filler. It must be in our little world, because when I see game developers pitching their game, they love to say an expansive world, x times bigger than before, with so many more factions,bla bla bla. I want to have a good time in a game, no filler time please.

yes , contained and reused gameworlds rock > gothic , disco elysium etc. open world or not is not that important, just reuse, make it tight and neat

Back
Top Bottom