Places to go to when/if RPGWatch is no more

Prelude to Darkness' source code being released there was… 0 posts or any other response.

Can you point me in the direction of this? I never got around to playing PtD when it was released but I am keen to rectify that. Might be worth a newsposting as well?

Can you point me in the direction of this? I never got around to playing PtD when it was released but I am keen to rectify that. Might be worth a newsposting as well?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/ptd-source-code-download-link.142859/

I completely missed it, which is a bit of an oversight since my thread there is the only stickied thread in that sub forum. (links to the game)
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/prelude-to-darkness-v1-7-v1-8-download-link-mediafire.68859/

Ah yes, the vaunted "honesty" that lets half of the Codex (sorry, the 'dex) be as racist, misogynist and homophobic as they'd like, because they're "just being honest". I won't lose any sleep over missing out on trying to talk about RPGs with people who are half as smart as they think they are, thanks.
Just avoid the politics subforum to avoid most of these. Then GD for the rest of it.
We talk about non AAA RPGs here all the time, btw, which you'd know if you actually cared to look instead of preferring to feel superior (a Codex specialty).
Funny you're saying that while accusing the 'dex of being "racist, misogynist and homophobic" when it's mostly contained to some odd subforums and particular posters there, and most of the forum (especially these related to games) are relatively free of that.

I've read plenty of 'watch, and there is much less talk about non-mainstream RPGs than on 'dex, many are never mentioned.

But you strike me as the type that'd be happier on ResetEra than on 'dex, so I'm definitely not trying to convince you otherwise. Enjoy whatever you choose!

Just avoid the politics subforum to avoid most of these. Then GD for the rest of it.

Funny you're saying that while accusing the 'dex of being "racist, misogynist and homophobic" when it's mostly contained to some odd subforums and particular posters there, and most of the forum (especially these related to games) are relatively free of that.

I've read plenty of 'watch, and there is much less talk about non-mainstream RPGs than on 'dex, many are never mentioned.

But you strike me as the type that'd be happier on ResetEra than on 'dex, so I'm definitely not trying to convince you otherwise. Enjoy whatever you choose!

I posted about RPGWatch shutting down.
I think one third of the thread is about that. Another third has turned to be about Fallout. The rest is racist, sexist, homophobic crap … (some in the form of 'funny' memes)

I do agree the Codex is much better for discussing games than here, but you need to be able to filter out this crap as almost every single thread has it contrary to your claims. Most people, including myself can only do that in very, very short doses.

It's a bit like harmful rays. It's ok to sit in the sun for a bit, get some Vitamin D. It's not good to stay in the sun all day without sunscreen. The UV will destroy your skin and in the longer term worse.

Back on topic - The Discord is doing alright. Many people have joined. I suggest @Couchpotato; gets his own channel on there to post his news.

I'm downloading Discord for my mobile now. Will pop in to see how it works.

Edit: guess I'll have to do it at home, since I have to authenticate my account through a code.

The Watch has been a huge resource for me in regards to finding new games in my favorites genre. It will be sorely missed. I’ll throw Fextralife in as a decent news source about RPGs, although they tend to produce a ton of content for popular games, which can clog the feed sometimes. I used to like Rock Paper Shotgun but they have gone to garbage since they were bought out. Gamebanshee is also good. I’ve also found that I get a ton of good recommendations from watching a couple of streamers. Especially Splattercat and Mortismal. I watch Rhykkers Saturday updates videos too (although I’ll never trust his reviews again after Wolcen).

Erm, actually... Your description did that accusation much better than anything else probably could. I even was thinking about poe's law there, to be honest.

Well, I hang out on the PC Gamer forums (https://forums.pcgamer.com/) quite a bit now. The RPG section is pretty small, but the forum is well moderated, and the software is good. No politics at all.

Letting me post so many of my screenshots in this topic has earned my undying loyalty. ;)

I've only ever read the general rpg codex forum and find it incredibly puerile and pretty much exactly as described by JFarrell. There's so much noise in most threads reading them becomes a chore. Horses for courses I suppose.

Edit - here are a few examples from the first page of posts in the RPGWatch is closing down thread over there. So yeah, I'll pass.

[removed, not in line with our TOS]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no other place like it, to be honest.

However, I frequent other forums (I don't participate anymore, though).

QT3 forums (https://forum.quartertothree.com/)
ResetEra (https://www.resetera.com/forums/gaming-forum.7/)

These two are both quite Woke and nauseating in their own ways - but if you want actual gaming news - they're quite good.

For something a little more Codexian, there's Nfohump (https://www.nfohump.com/forum/index.php) - but I can't really recommend it for the exchange. It's like the opposite of Woke around there. It's all negative and damaged.

I can't recommend anywhere for decent exchanges - as there's no place like the Watch.

Certainly, there's no place like the Watch used to be.

That has little to do with the URL - and more to do with the people.

I originally came from Gone Gold - which was shut down. But that was also a great place.

Let's not despair just yet

Maybe that's just me, but I would wait a little bit before posting the RPGWatch newsbits on Discord or starting little sites on reddit and whatnot. (not talking about the Discord in general which is a lot of fun for chatting)

There's a very high chance we get a solution, but that will not work if everyone thinks the site is dead and scatters away. :-/ Shouldn't we keep this as alive as usual?

I wish we'd edit and add some hope in the 'The End is Nigh' first post, because that's the message 95% of our usual readers see, and they're probably oblivious of the ongoing discussions to upgrade and move to another host.

Last edited:
Yes, I do think The End is Nigh thread is a bit unfortunate, and I kind of wish we'd looked at possible solutions for the community first. While that's the message, people might well be drifting away, migrating to other options, and so on - which won't do any favours for the ongoing community.

Clearly, people want to keep this going - and I doubt anyone will migrate unless they were already looking to do that.

This site will remain functioning as it has been functioning since 2006. I am sure that people will not change their habits and will stick around until the end of July.
Sure, people might check out other sites to see what would be a good alternative, but I am very sure they will check this site before the end of July to see where the news editors and the majority of our members will go to.

And everybody knows that if there is an agreement to pass the reigns on to someone, it will be a breaking newsbit on the front page, and Twitter.

Well, I think we can't really know how people might respond, or how many might, for example, find they prefer the Discord experience, and the forum dwindles. I've certainly seen that before. I just think that having the message be that the end is nigh, when it isn't, is not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom