Precursors - ongoing report

mprod

Sentinel
When I read about the fan-translations some months ago (at this forum by the way) I placed a request with a Leningrad bound friend of mine who promptly returned with the games in question

I have now enjoyed them for a while although I haven´t given them very much time due to it being summer (and now indian summer) and doing a lot of traveling myself

So far I like them although if you´re scared of morrowind or daggerfall that is to say dislike being set adrift without a rudder in a rather unfriendly world (I suck at the fps part) these games are not for you

Anyway just wondered if anybody else where playing them

cheers
M

I'd like to know more about Precursors. Can you be more specific about your experience with that game?

For instance, what other games, besides the aforementioned titles, would you compare it to? Also, how good is the translation?

As I said I´m not that that far ahead in the games for example I haven´t got my own spaceship in precursors yet although I can see that the main quest-line is going there

Precursors:
The first world is a run down town with some strange mysteries situated in a desert valley somewhat Mos Eisleyish.
Sofar the town have been safe while the desert is crawling with rather unfriendly creatures everything seems to be handplaced although the enemies probably respawn
There´s a faction system which tracks your standing so far I haven´t made contact with all the factions at least not the alien ones
You can drive sand-buggys and some kind of flying thing that reminds of the thopters from dune
They have eschewed the skill-system from boiling point in favor of a perk system where you choose one perk every level

The translations are "babelfishy" often they are okey if somewhat strange at other times completly confounding on the other hand if you can read my english it should be bearable

PS. For those that didn´t know the gamesystem is identical between WG and P it´s only the setting that is different

Last edited:
If there is an interest I will try to keep you appraised of my quest to unravel the mysteries of the precursors

M

If there is an interest I will try to keep you appraised of my quest to unravel the mysteries of the precursors

M

Thanks.

You have White Gold as well? I haven't heard anything about that one in a long time. I had no idea the translation was already finished. Do you mind pointing me to where you found those? I googled it and only found this.

Precursors continued

I have now, at least for now, finished with the first planet (Goldin), recieved my fathers spaceship and left for new frontiers.

Goldin:
There´s a lot of side-quests although most are of the variety drive to the other end of the desert and kill/fetch/find something. Some are also at least for me quite morally dubious ex. a very misogynic quest to kill an adulterous wife and her lover that had no other out and was required to finish a longer quest-line and also upon completion raised your standing with the civilian faction.
A lot of this ambiguity might be blamed on the translation which as said is very rudimentary but not all I doubt very much that I misunderstood the one above.
Anyway there are a lot of the side-quests and many of deal with adult matters like sex and drugs.

There are a lot of npc:s and most will talk with you unless you´re an enemy of their faction. The dialog are like a tree (can´t remember the correct term please help) and quite limited in all the cases I´ve seen so far although every npc seem to have some unique line even if it´s just a few cursewords.

The first world is big (perhaps San Fierro with badlans big from GTA San Andreas) and it has a lot of strange sites to explore a lot of which expect I won´t be able to unravel until much later in the game.

Space
I will return to the space part later since I´ve just started on it but some initial impressions.
The Galactic map holds as of now about ten other star systems I can travel too. Each system holds a lot of spacestations, planets and moons that can be visited (Ar-Ferra where I´m now 3 planets, 7 moons, and 4 spacestations so far I´ve visited planet Goldin and station Nerra).
Judging from some clues it also seems that I will unlock a lot of more systems.
So even if the first planet is the one that got the most attention and most content it would seem like there´s a lot to discover as the game unfolds.

Some other things:
At it´s heart it´s a fps game which I suck at but since I lowered the setting to easy I´m able to muddle through
I wished you could zoom the map It would really have helped sometimes
Also I would have liked to be able to set different controls for different vehicles meaning fps/car/"thopter"/spaceship

I´m not used to writing this kind of texts but I hope you´re able to glean something from it.
And also it would be easier if you gave some questions so I know what you want to know

cheers
M

Last edited:
A small question if you want me to continue my impressions of precursors perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to something more appropriate

Who do I contact about that?

Would appreciate if you kept us up to date on your adventures in Precusors and White Gold as well.

One question, are all missions solved with 1 option, or are there multiple solutions ever?

So far almost all sidequests have been one solution a few have had shoot or talk/bribe alternatives.

The main quest sometimes split in different faction lines you´re forced to choose one or the other with very different quests as result but still mostly one-solution ones.

I would have loved to see the sneak, hacking and lockpicking features used as alternative quest solutions but so far they haven´t.

Since I got the requested title change I feel I owe you a quick update

I have arrived at the second major planet, my previous assumption that only the first world would be fully fleshed out seems to be wrong

The second world is a world of rainforests and (this isn´t a spoiler) presents a dilemma of a burgeoning civil war among the natives instigated by one of the major human factions.

When you approach the planet you are offered two landing points, I would recommend the second. If for nothing else you should spoil yourself with a night at the local hotel, this un-named town is the most gorgeous tree-town I´ve ever seen in a game think Trynton done today. Placed in the djungle at the edge of a mountain-range above a chain of a small lakes feed by the waterfalls that falls down and through the city, I haven´t seen this care for the vertical in world design since Gothic.

Bah.. I can´t really put it in the proper words It is beautiful let´s leave it at that

Ps:s

1: I have encountered some bugs one was almost a showstopper. I´ll return to it
2: If you read the post above I just got some sidequest by using the charm/deception feat

Ds
M

Last edited:
Thanks for the action game report. I was at one time interested in this game but then it feel completly off the radar. And I of course completly forgot about it. Good to see that it looks to be a fun game.

Great news!!!

Thanks a lot for the link.

Got this game as a gift for my birthday. Still downloading since it's 5.5 GB. It amazes me sometimes just how much information can travel through the net now. 5.5 GB would have taken over a year to download just 10 years ago :)

Anyway, if bad translation is the only problem with the game then I'll still like it. I've already played and enjoyed Prince of Qin. POQ had a horrible translation and even worse voice actor, yet that one was still fun because of the gameplay and unique setting.

I'm rather hopeful about this one.

Thanks again, mprod. Your summary of the game and a few other reviews are what made me ask for it as a gift.

I'm also playing this.

Essential tip for people getting the English Gamersgate version - your game will have audio problems. Not only is there silence during dialog, many other sound effects often cut out, i.e. gun fire and footsteps. You can fix this by dropping in two files from the Russian version, which will give you Russian voice work (to which you can add Wesp's translation) and the rest of the sounds too. I don't know why this is, but that seems to be the way it is.

The two files are called gf_sounds.grp and main.fat.

Back
Top Bottom