WotR Purpleblob's Wrath of the Righteous review :)

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

purpleblob

Princess
Well done and very thorough. I also tended to like the Angel and Azata the most myself and Reg also really grew on me - and he is usually in my party when I play now.

Course talking the choir anyhow as WOTR is one of my all time favorite games now.

Nice job on review, WotR deserves all positive attention it can get. I have to say that I didnt manage to finish reading it as I was scared away by some spoilers as my first playthrough still remain unfinished.

Nice job on review, WotR deserves all positive attention it can get. I have to say that I didnt manage to finish reading it as I was scared away by some spoilers as my first playthrough still remain unfinished.

I tried my best to keep away from spoilers and even asked my husband for his opinion if its too spoilerific (he is also yet to finish the game, just started chapter 4) - he said I did pretty good job with keeping it spoiler free but I guess he might been trying to be nice to me ;)

I tried my best to keep away from spoilers and even asked my husband for his opinion if its too spoilerific (he is also yet to finish the game, just started chapter 4) - he said I did pretty good job with keeping it spoiler free but I guess he might been trying to be nice to me ;)

Might be Im just too sensitive and got scared for no reason. I will make another, less cowardly, attempt to read it later :). Also it might be quite difference if you read such review when you didnt play game at all. Then those minor spoilers just make no sense at all and it could seem less significant then to someone who is in middle of game and the bits of information *click* in your head with what you already know.

Might be Im just too sensitive and got scared for no reason. I will make another, less cowardly, attempt to read it later :). Also it might be quite difference if you read such review when you didnt play game at all. Then those minor spoilers just make no sense at all and it could seem less significant then to someone who is in middle of game and the bits of information *click* in your head with what you already know.

Good point - about the info clicking for those who are in middle of the game :) maybe you should wait until you finish the game lol

Last edited:
Great review, thanks Purpleblob! :)

You managed to find just the right balance, not an easy feat with such a complex game!

There are just a few minor spoilers as you said, but it's not ruining anything at all and it gives an overview of how the chapters are organized and a few parts to look forward to, which is nice. This is obviously a big game, and it's not easy for someone to see what to expect from only playing the first 2 chapters. Games usually go down after a few hours of gameplay because everybody knows that they're not even half-played on average, but thanks to this review we see that it has a lot in reserve, in each chapter. So knowing that may be important.

I've been so tempted by Angel, it's such an obvious choice to make in that setting, and perhaps the most classic option? I didn't take it so far because I had a ranged character, which was somewhat off with some of the advantages of Angel. And mostly because Azata is so tempting and so fun. :) I was initially tempted by the Trickster mythic path as well but now I'm not sure anymore, it looks too silly.

My feelings are still a little on the fence about the crusade system, especially the combat and army part - not the council and decision-making parts. But I yet have to see the rest of chapter 3 and the next ones.

Are you ready for another run?

You managed to find just the right balance, not an easy feat with such a complex game!

Thanks, that's a relief to hear :)

I've been so tempted by Angel, it's such an obvious choice to make in that setting, and perhaps the most classic option? I didn't take it so far because I had a ranged character, which was somewhat off with some of the advantages of Angel. And mostly because Azata is so tempting and so fun. :) I was initially tempted by the Trickster mythic path as well but now I'm not sure anymore, it looks too silly.

Angel is definitely a good choice for a 1st run but some people also found it a bit too cliched. I played a melee Angel so I can't be sure but from what I've heard each mythic cater for all play styles (melee/range/caster) relatively well. Trickster does seem silly but I think it can be very fun if you go into it with a similar mindset of the Lantern King - do anything to have *your way* of fun even if its cruel to others.

My feelings are still a little on the fence about the crusade system, especially the combat and army part - not the council and decision-making parts. But I yet have to see the rest of chapter 3 and the next ones.

Army combat improved a lot since the initial release but it is still much weaker aspect of the game. I went from dreading army combat in my 1st run to enjoying it somewhat on occassions in my 2nd run.

Are you ready for another run?

Absolutely :) I've been holding off my 3rd run in case I never finish the review, too busy playing WotR instead lol

Warning - there are some minor spoilers - it was really difficult to talk about WotR without any spoilers since the game is very story driven with lots of C&C.

Really enjoyable review - well, I only read about half of it as I started to get into spoilers for new areas (still in Act II right now), but look forward to reading the rest later. Thanks for sharing!

I went from dreading army combat in my 1st run to enjoying it somewhat on occassions in my 2nd run.

Yeah, I can tolerate it now but still not something I look forward to ... though I did grind out enough gold for a second general.

A solid and thorough review, from what I scanned, Purple. I did skip some parts, as I didn't want to be spoiled for when I acquire this for myself. I'll just be looking for a juicy sale to happen at some time.

A question popped up again when reading the review:
You have just arrived in Kenabres injured and helpless, when a powerful demon lord and his minions burst into the city in middle of some festivities.
I missed getting any background on the MC when starting the game. Or was it an oversight by me?

A question popped up again when reading the review:I missed getting any background on the MC when starting the game. Or was it an oversight by me?

There's no specific background set for you (IIRC) - just that opening dialogue with Hulrun where he asks who you are and you can give whatever answer you prefer. All we know for certain is, you are chosen to be Areelu's creation for whatever reason and that's why you arrive at Kenabres injured as a result of her experiment on you

There's no specific background set for you (IIRC) - just that opening dialogue with Hulrun where he asks who you are and you can give whatever answer you prefer. All we know for certain is, you are chosen to be Areelu's creation for whatever reason and that's why you arrive at Kenabres injured as a result of her experiment on you
Ok, then I didn't overlook anything. My problem in hindsight with it is, that MC's background plays a crucial role in the main plot and we didn't get any info about it in the beginning. Obviously I wouldn't have wanted to know about Areelu. But I would have wanted to know what MC knows about his past. That would have made it a lot easier to actually care about his past and ask questions myself what the link to Areelu could have been. By knowing nothing, nothing was a surprise in the end.
It's not a simple problem to solve but they could at least have gone the simple (and somewhat) lame way and give MC an amnesia.

Ok, then I didn't overlook anything. My problem in hindsight with it is, that MC's background plays a crucial role in the main plot and we didn't get any info about it in the beginning. Obviously I wouldn't have wanted to know about Areelu. But I would have wanted to know what MC knows about his past. That would have made it a lot easier to actually care about his past and ask questions myself what the link to Areelu could have been. By knowing nothing, nothing was a surprise in the end.
It's not a simple problem to solve but they could at least have gone the simple (and somewhat) lame way and give MC an amnesia.

I think it makes sense to not give MC any background. MC has no connection to Areelu at all which gives us freedom to build MC whichever way we want and give whatever background/backstory.

She chose MC to experiment on because she felt kinship in you (for whatever reason) and hoped her child's memory will come back eventually - thats why she despairs and calls MC a failed experiment unless you convince her otherwise after the initial phase of the final battle.

I chose the dialogue option that maybe I'm not her child reborn (all memories of past life coming back etc) but enough of her child's soul still lives on in me therefore not a failed experiment. Then the game checks series of dialogue/skill checks I passed throughout the game - I passed enough checks which made her rejoice that I am her daughter after all (unlocks "So much of me" achievement).

I thought it was brilliant :) explains why I am half elf or aasimar who is not an arcane caster and look nothing like her but can be her daughter at the same time.

But to make Areelu more happy, I will play a human (kellid) bloodrager (arcane caster) to make the whole thing more convincing in my 6th run as Areelu's daughter reincarnated ;)

I liked not knowing as it is my character. I didn't need the game to tell me what my past was (at the start I mean) as I determined that myself, or at least some of it.

Of course one could come up with a backstory that then doesn't fit but one has to be somewhat flexible and know that eventually the story will reveal more things.

I thought they did a good job of really keeping things open, as much as one can in a story, so that you can mesh in your own backstory.

I also am used to this process in games so most of my background is more related to personality, morals, etc., for the first play through. So I just go with the flow and let the story fill in things. I really enjoyed all the surprises and reveals the game had. It was a huge part oft he fun for me.

If I happen to play again then its easier to fit things in with the game story.

Back
Top Bottom