Return of the Daily Smile

Certainly two posts where a thumbs down would be useful.

Certainly two posts where a thumbs down would be useful.
I dare say we'll be getting a thumbs down button, in due course. In which case, I shall be needing a two fingers up button. If we're going down that road, let's go all in. 😈

I dare say we'll be getting a thumbs down button, in due course. In which case, I shall be needing a two fingers up button. If we're going down that road, let's go all in. 😈
Why don't you see my reply as humor then. In which case everything is allowed.

Why don't you see my reply as humor then. In which case everything is allowed.
Not sure how you figure that one. But if pibbuR's post pissed you off, it pisses me off to see him feel the need to take down a bit of gentle humour. If we could stab buttons at each other, I'm not entirely convinced that improves the situation.

I don't think people post stuff here that they disagree with. So, they believe it to be a correct statement about women. Let's all have a laugh.
My statement is about that I disagree with that and don't think it is funny. I don't think everything is acceptable because it is apparently 'humour'.

I'm not a moderator, I don't moderate anything. I'm also not a team member. I think I have made all of that clear a couple of times already. My admin badge only exists in order to be able to maintain the site from a technical perspective. For the rest I am not using the abilities I have on this forum. I'm not even deleting spam.

I haven't asked anyone to take anything down, nor am I going to do that. If my reaction led to PibbuR taking his post down, that is a choice he made. Maybe he felt compelled to do so because of my previous role. I don't know, but there are no actions taken from my site towards anyone, besides me reacting by means of a post.

Don't care about any of that. You might feel the need to make a negative comment in the Daily Smile thread, I might feel like responding to that. So it is.

I am hoping this attitude won't dominate on the new site, though, as I'm sure that was doing us no good.

for me this is about principles. And your principles on the subject of these 'humorous' posts are, from your reaction, different from mine. I also speak for myself and not for 'us'.

Indeed. But if people are going to be scolded on that basis, I might push back. Bit of a shame not to just have a bit more tolerance for jokes one doesn't enjoy, so this doesn't happen too often.

You know, I once noticed another member whose avatar says 'Chicks rule', with an image of a female figure knocking a male's head off. I didn't see anyone making a fuss about a little sexist joke at our expense.

I find them insulting, you just look at them as a level of enjoyment you get or don't. That is where we think differently. I don't deny you the right to disagree with me, but for some reason I get the message that you would like to deny me the right to disagree with what is posted.

I'll convey your message to Mrs. Myrthos. I guess she, like I, will take it for what it is.

I guess she, like I, will take it for what it is.

A display of double standards?

Not that I have a problem with her choice of avatar - that's no problem to me. I'd just like a bit more tolerance of other's jokes when they trespass into sexual politics in a lighthearted way.

Last edited:
The joke in question was to me merely a geeky reference to the Thing movie (one of the questions many fans are occupied with). A refence that only some would get, probably (hence the little hint in my signature). It's comparable to finding references to 42 in books. I like things like that.

That it was or could be perceived as sexist didn't cross my mind. Perhaps i should have seen that, but I didn't. I only saw the geeky reference to the cult movie, not something making fun of female and male stereotypes. I wouldn't have posted the joke if I had seen that. Again, maybe I should have, and I'm sorry for the insult.

Deleting the post was my choice. It has nothing to do with Myrthos, or him being an ex moderator. But I don't want to offend anybody. Therefore, justified or not, whenever someone reacts negatively to a post I make (or I think they do), I will delete my post. I can't handle not doing that. This is to some degree due to my very dominating conflict avoiding personality. It's not an entirely rational reaction, and as such not predictable. I don't expect anyone to foresee when I will react to what, and I don't blame anybody for triggering that response in me. So, no reason to blame Myrthos, I certainly don't.

pibbuR

Last edited:
Yes, and I'm certainly not trying to speak for you pibbuR. This is purely my reaction. pibbuR posts being deleted on that basis seems a bit of shame, to me. If there is anything with regard to you personally, I just think long term members might realise this about you, and also that your good-natured and good-faith posts probably deserve the benefit of the doubt.

And your views on never giving offense are of course your business, but in general terms, I'd rather we had a higher bar for offense when dealing with jokes.

dogs.jpg

I don't like being dragged into this.

Trying to get at my husband by aiming at me and something I did in the past. Without even having the politeness of mentioning me via an @

So, if I understand this correctly, because you, Ripper, took my avatar at the old RPGWatch site, as a sexist joke, my husband is now no longer allowed, in your view, to disapprove sexist jokes without getting thrown 'double standards' at him.

FYI, 'chicks rule' was never meant as a joke:

When I first made an entrance at the former RPGWatch site, it was to thank people for donating money, after Myrthos and I payed for it for quite some time. People donated generously and I, like, Myrthos wanted to express my gratitude.

Since nobody knew me, I thought it would be nice to choose an avatar that showed people I was not just anybody, pretending to be the site owner's wife as some sort of joke, but someone who really had an important say in site's matters.
'Chicks rule' made that pretty clear.

I could not find an image with 'wife decides', or something like that in the singular form in the time I was busy managing my profile but I was sure people would get the message of Myrthos not having exclusive power.
I assure you if I felt strongly about something related to that site my voice was not ignored. I was siteowner, legally. We both were.
And like in any good, healthy marriage, when one of the two involved opposes something strongly it does not happen. At least that is what happens in our marriage.

The avatar was more of a wink to Myrthos than a joke, let alone a sexist joke.
Btw, when siteownership was moved to @Taluntain I changed my avatar. Like Myrthos I now have no say in this site.

Like in any normal marriage my husband and I do not have to agree on everything nor do everything in the same way.
But we do agree on the posts above. And we have two beautiful daughters, young women, that would not accept sexist jokes likes those. Who would speak up. Perhaps the lack of opposing voices here, the silence, besides the one of my husband, is telling.

In over 15 years of the site's existence there have been sexist jokes unfortunately. Some unnoticed by Myrthos or moderators. Sometimes Myrthos did see it and moderated it or made a remark showing his disapproval.
I can not remember ever being mentioned in that regard before.

In all these years you have rarely seen me, and one of the reasons was I did not want people to start complaining to me about Myrthos' behaviour.
Now that the reigns have been given to someone else: look what happens! Someone called Ripper is starting to complain to one spouse because the other did something (and did not act). Something that this Ripper took as a joke (no it was serious). To be more specific something that Ripper took as a sexist joke (no there was just an s too many).

It is hard not to see me challinging authority, Myrthos' authority, by using that avatar - who on earth would take that wink, a wink with a serious undertone, aimed at Myrthos, for a general joke related to all men and all women?
Imo only a person that considers it beneficial dragging it in to the discussion, dragging it, that avatar not seen for quite some time.

Last time I used it was autumn 2021, 'pointing' Myrthos to the 'junk' still laying around that might be welcomed by some members. 'Chick rules' still applied.

I did not engange in any discussions in the past (I made seven post there?) and I have no desire to start posting now.

Leave me out of it.

I think that a thread about jokes should be relaxed about subjects that we normally avoid in serious discussions, caricature is a form of humour and it's rarely flattering. But I don't see why someone who disagrees should not be able to express it; it's bound to happen and it's only fair. As long as it's not aggressive (and the interpretation for that can vary a lot, we just need to be aware of that).

I don't like being dragged into this.

Trying to get at my husband by aiming at me and something I did in the past. Without even having the politeness of mentioning me via an @

So, if I understand this correctly, because you, Ripper, took my avatar at the old RPGWatch site, as a sexist joke, my husband is now no longer allowed, in your view, to disapprove sexist jokes without getting thrown 'double standards' at him.
Well, all of that can be addressed by the simple fact that I'm not aiming at you, which is entirely misrepresenting my argument. Having a dispute with Mythos, and having a go at you, would not, IMO, be acceptable.

But, if you look at what I said, I specifically said that was no problem - no criticism of you. IMO, that sort of thing is fine; I'm simply saying that if in your case it was to be interpreted in the most charitable way as "more of a wink to Myrthos", then perhaps the intent and purpose of other people's postings (which might be interpreted the "wrong" way, as yours certainly could be,) should also be given a more charitable and tolerant reading.

To reiterate, I'm not criticizing you at all; but I am saying it seems a bit rich for that to be OK with Myrthos, but for others to be deemed sexist.

Last edited:
Yes, of course, you were right all along and my old avatar was sexistic, "a little sexist joke at our expense.", at best debatable in terms of intention, but still fine. Stereotypical jokes are fine. Stereotypical jokes about women are fine because true, in essence. Sterotypical jokes about blacks are fine, because the intent is never bad nor personal. Jokes about Jews should also be given a more charitable and tolerant reading.
As long as "we", for example those with the wish of "a higher bar for offense when dealing with jokes", can laugh about stupid others not noticed around here, everything is fine. And it is a bit rich for Myrthos to say something about our jokes and us laughing. He is supposed to be one of us, him tolerating jokes at the expense of others, wasn't he the one tolerating "a little sexist joke at our expense?
/sarcasm.

But of course, the above is meant to be a laugh, to create a smile. At your expense, Ripper.
Good intent though. If you get my drift.

Back
Top Bottom