RIP Internet Explorer ...

Only plus side it was easier to use and less clunky then Edge. I haven't used it in many years but it was a staple of most jobs I had. Nowadays I use the Firefox browser.

I only stopped using it maybe three years ago, it served me well and I've nothing but gratitude for the service it rendered. I'm with chrome, now.

In truth, IE had already been dead for quite awhile. Most websites stopped supporting it a long time ago.

It was a sort of catcher's mitt for viruses.

…I won't miss you.

Sell your soul to Google (which I have) and use Chrome. Stay mainstream punk (like Green Day), use Firefox. Be a (reasonable) nerd, use Chromium or even better the more secure derivatives…Evil is everywhere: Edge, Safari, sell your soul to Microsoft or Apple, respectively.

Has anyone used Brave?

Has anyone used Brave?

Actually, I tried it now since I took it up. Recommended. A lot faster than Chrome and you can browse through Tor when you don't want to be seen. Easy, responsive, imports everything from your previous browser and still lets you sell your soul to your favorite company. Try it!

I'll go with Brave from now on.

I think Brave is pretty solid, but I'm a bit more reticent about some of the other Chromium-based browsers. Some of the security advice I've seen says to bear in mind that although these may be good faith attempts at more secure and private browsers, they are likely to lag behind in applying fixes from upstream, and are often run by very small teams. There's something to be said for having a fairly substantial organisation behind something as complex and risk-facing as a browser.

Another perspective is that it's a good idea to support Mozilla, because if all browsers become Chromium based, that's too much power for Google as the prime browser developer, even if people tinker round the margins of their code.

I am in the Firefox camp. Use it at work and at home for many years now and see no reason to look for an alternative.

I use Brave for everything work related as not all business applications work on Firefox, which I use for all my personal browsing. On my work laptop that personal browsing is limited as several sites, like this one, are blocked. To get to RPGWatch I have a VM installed with Linux, where I can run a VPN to hide from Cisco Umbrella what I am browsing :)

As to Internet Explorer: Good that it is gone.

Firefox is my personal browser of choice. I was reading an article the other day that use of Firefox has been in decline and Mozilla might be facing some financial trouble soon. They apparently get most of their money from a contract they have with Google (to make it the default search engine), which is set to expire in 2023, and it is unclear whether it will be renewed.

The only time I used IE was to watch Netflix when 1080p was only available on that browser. The resolution was initially lower on Chrome and maybe Firefox too, but now it's not the case anymore. It won't be missed.

I'm fine with Chrome and derivatives, I only wish the cookies, history and perhaps the bookmarks were only available / visible when logged in.

I really liked Internet Explorer back when it was the main browser and the main game in town.

That said,it obviously had been on its Last Legs for a while now.

*Semi-Rant follows and only read if bored and want to hear how a super picky person thinks about Browsers in general*

I am one of those odd people who care very much about the browser in terms of customization, and how it looks and works, and I don't like any control taken away from me in favor of centralized control.

So at first I was a Firefox person but unfortunately they started sucking more and more and then started becoming more centralized with attitude of -

"This is the way we are going to do X now, and no more choice for you!" "Like it or not!" Yea, sorry, but that doesn't work for me. (Same with government telling me to do X or Z by the way "for my own good" -- I'm one of those stubborn and difficult people who question everything, even (or especially!) what the all-powerful Government/Media tells me)

So Firefox became a no-go for me eventually. So then I moved to Pale Moon, which was an awesome alternative to Firefox...but then, even Pale Moon owner/founder started to do crap and say "I'm putting my foot down, and this is how it will be!" type (authoritarianism) attitude, so he then lost a ton of independent-minded users like myself of his browser.

Funny thing is they recently admitted defeat, reversed himself completely, and put out a whole new Pale Moon version, basically going back to how it was, and so it is back! Now it is good again and lets people use old beloved Firefox extensions once again, etc.

So the good browsers for people like me today are Pale Moon and another alternative called Waterfox. Waterfox is another Firefox alternative that became popular among niche audience like me (weird, unique and picky people who want full control of their browser)

I still have fond memories of Opera.
It has changed a lot since then, though.
I still kind of miss Netscape. The animated logo. The "blink" tag

One thing that perhaps may be of concern when choosing a browser:

Firefox and Chrome are squaring off over ad-blocker extensions (https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/10/...google-chrome-privacy-manifest-v3-web-request)

It has something to do with a new standard for extensions (Manifest V3), which allegedly (according to Google) will improve security. Chrome/chromium will drop support for the previous standard (Manifest V2). But, also allegedly, this will make ad-blocking more difficult, and some (what we in Norwegan call "onde tunger" - evil tongues) claim that is a huge motive for Google, since ad blocking may reduce revenue.

Firefox will continue supporting the old standard.

pibbuR who of course is a bit confused. And who hopes more qualified watchers may cast light. And who for the moment will continue using Firefox.

In the late 90's/early 2000's I remember just visiting a site with IE was enough for them to pretty much take over your entire PC. I think it was IE4. Pretty much any dodgy site had a chance you would get unlucky.

Basically it was mandatory to have a decent antivirus back in those days.

Talking about Netscape, this just popped up:

I remember using Netscape on Sparc stations, Macs and PCs, it's true that they released that on a lot of platforms.

EDIT: Of course he's talking about the others too, and his conclusion about IE is "eventually IE would just become the one-use browser you'd start once, download your chosen browser and then never use again". :)

Last edited:
I think I've used Mosaic a little bit. Netscape was a big improvement, but it took some time before the sites showed more images, and the plugins remained very limited for a long time. Java applets mostly looked like demos but were not that useful.

Actually, even the university network wasn't that fast, so we were disabling images most of the time. Thankfully at the time there were no ads yet to clutter the pages. I even thought it was forbidden but I can't find any evidence of it now, maybe it was only in Europe? (from what I found, ads existed way before my first contact with Internet but it took a few years before I saw the first ones)

He didn't mention the work done at the CERN, though I think he mentioned it in another of his videos.

Back
Top Bottom