Risen - Demo Released!

Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself, and now it's done! It took a whopping 22 min.

I'm using µTorrent, am based in Sweden and have a 10Mbit ADSL connection…

That's fast, I wonder if which client you use makes a difference. I think location is probably the biggest factor though.

Even if not, there's a workaround. You can unrar the file and then extract the .exe with Universal Extractor.

Use at your won risk.

Still all old links. There is no new version yet.

Finally gave up trying to get the demo, it was going to take about 10 hours at the speed I was getting. Doesn't really matter, I should have the retail game by tomorrow.

I downloaded the original demo and it installed fine for me on Vista 64.

Madness! The download request must be madness! I am getting nothing from any source, it always says all connections full or something.

100.000 people are trying to download the demo today. ;)

Demo doesn't matter to me since I got the full game already but I think they did a pretty poor job on the demo.
First, it was (at least unofficially) delayed since it was the stated goal of PB/DS to release the demo approximately two weeks prior to the game's release.
Secondly, despite the delay the demo seems to not have been properly tested (installer issues).
Thirdly, why did they not team up with some big download sites (Gamer's Hell, FileFront, FilePlanet, K-Files etc.) for the release of the demo? Seems pretty dumb to offer up only three mirrors. They could have avoided a lot of pissed off people if they would have distributed the load and posted a list with a dozen mirrors right from the start.

It seemed from comments by DS community reps like the "delay" of the demo had to do with extra careful planning and precautions regarding the release of the demo but I guess that can't have been the real reason looking at the poor handling of the demo's release...

Hmmm, no go here. Installation failed on C++ Redistributable… guess I might try this universal extractor work-around, or the new links.

Also the same error if you use the default install path?

Also the same error if you use the default install path?

Retried it and now I'm using default install path. Same issue, the installer seems to hang with 0% progress at the installation of the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (run-time libraries, I assume). Clicking Cancel after a while cancels the whole installation. I remember having similar problems with the installation of another game, so maybe it's my PC. After all, it's been running XP without a reinstall for 4,5 years. ;)

I'll let it run for a while now, it's taking 100% CPU. Let's see what happens; the new links don't work yet anyway.

Looks like I was just impatient. The installer just sat there, not moving for minutes… but it's done now. Seems to work. I'm gonna try it now! :)

Wow, what's even more remarkable is that the demo runs pretty well on my PC. I wonder if the whole game is this smooth. Who'd have expected!?

Last edited:
Runs great on my rig with maxed out options @ 1920x1200.

Core i7 920 w/ 6GB Ram and Geforece GTX 280.

I wonder if the demo saves will work with the full game. Anyone know?

I got some sort of "feature transfer error" after the visual c++ installation and then the installer crashed.

I guess I'll try the new link. No torrent for that one?

Runs great on my rig with maxed out options @ 1920x1200.

Core i7 920 w/ 6GB Ram and Geforece GTX 280.

Runs great on my Athlon 64 3500+ with 2GB RAM and a Radeon 4650 video card... and almost maxed out settings! Who said the game was CPU-bound? I can't believe this. Will the game suddenly eat frames further in? I won't even have to upgrade my PC if this framerate keeps up. So infinitely better than Gothic 3.

Oh yeah, this should have been Gothic 3. :D Same sort of feel, but everthing feels much better. Liking it.

I got some sort of "feature transfer error" after the visual c++ installation and then the installer crashed.

Had some problems there, too. Try again, maybe?

Runs great on my Athlon 64 3500+ with 2GB RAM and a Radeon 4650 video card… and almost maxed out settings! Who said the game was CPU-bound? I can't believe this. Will the game suddenly eat frames further in? I won't even have to upgrade my PC if this framerate keeps up. So infinitely better than Gothic 3.

Oh yeah, this should have been Gothic 3. :D Same sort of feel, but everthing feels much better. Liking it.

Had some problems there, too. Try again, maybe?

Tried it a few times now and it crashes at the same place. Oh, well I'll just wait for version 2 to download.

Interesting about your rig. I have almost the exact same specs and I thought I wouldn't be able to play Risen on this computer. Keeping my fingers crossed that I wont have to upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom