Risen - Demo Released!

It should run okay. I have a nearly identical system, just slightly slower, and I was positively surprised.

what resolution is he driving? What OS? My Vista 64 can chew up to 2.1GB. Drives me insane, which is why I have 4GB. I wouldnt want 3GB. I believe 3GB can't run in double data rate because of the mismatched slots.

Risen is clearly gated graphically because of the requirement to perform acceptably on the xBox360. Don't get me wrong though, I think Risen looks great though.

I'm not sure this is true, seeing as the Xbox 360 version apparently has much poorer visuals than the PC version. Having received the game today, Risen might be a little less detailed than Gothic 3 but I'm happy to sacrifice some details for the vastly improved loading and saving times and complete absence of the horrendous stuttering that plagued Gothic 3.

It runs quite well on my system on maximum settings and 1680x1050, no lower than 20 fps so far and usually from 25-30 fps.

Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz
Geforce 9600 GT
2gb RAM

Now I read impressions from somebody who actually has Risen on XBox. He says Risen looks approximately as good as Oblivion.

Graphically this is more like G2 with incredible textures, bumb mapping, shaders and depth of field.

You mean boob mapping?

Here on AMD Athlon II X2 (Phenom architecture) , Radeon 4850 1GiG, 2 GiG ram and XP SP3 I have mediocore performance on high setting, no AF, no AA - avg. 21 fps in resolution 1280x1024 and sometimes (however not often) noticeable drops to even 12 - 14 fps :/ And I've just upgraded my rig exclusively for Risen :/

It's interesting - I thought from the prerelease videos that they'd reined in their ambition to make sure they avoided the performance problems of G3. And it kind of looks like they've gone a bit too far, targetting PCs below XBox 360 spec.

I've only played the demo so far, too early for much of an opinion. It runs fine so far, about 40 fps on a GTX 260 at 19x12, and neither CPU core was being maxed out when I checked. I was impressed with the initial foliage/lightning/water/shadows impression although I do get a weird effect with lightning inside a nearby cave... Combat is obviously better than G3 at release, though the animation/physics is not quite A-list... If my steam copy would only unlock, I could play the damn thing...

I was impressed with the initial foliage/lightning/water/shadows impression …

Same here, I think Risen looks great, and graphics aren't the most important thing in a game like this. I can't comment on the Xbox version, as I haven't seen it, but I would never consider getting a console version anyways.

It's alive!!!

*laughs maniacally*

The demo seems to run pretty okay on medium settings on my system (apart from that GF7 fog glitch), which is a pleasant surprise for me. I've only played it for a few minutes so far, so I haven't experienced much of it, but I can already tell one thing for certain, and oh gosh, lemme say this:

Kairo's music is just perfect!

For those with low-end systems, these days I game on a laptop: C2D 2.4Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 256Mb 8600GT - on medium settings @ 1280x800 (except "high" draw distance - I like to see where I am going) - I get around 20fps. It's perfectly playable and generally "feels" higher than that because it doesn't seem to glitch or drop much (in the demo, anyway).

I'd say it's well worth trying on low-ish systems if you don't mind medium settings.

It's perfectly playable and generally "feels" higher than that because it doesn't seem to glitch or drop much (in the demo, anyway).

I wholeheartedly agree and my system specs are below yours. That is, I have a single-core CPU and a modern low-end graphics card (4650). I'm pretty tolerant of low framerates, though, but the game is indeed perfectly playable on near-max settings for me (only the texture filtering is set to Linear, have yet to try higher settings). It doesn't glitch or drop, like you said, which is a huge plus for lowish framerates.

The actual game performed as well as the demo did, too.

The actual game performed as well as the demo did, too.

Nice. I am downloading now to gauge performance at my old system (I am not getting
my hopes up though).

I can't wait to see it in action and I doubt my amazon.uk preorder will be here before
next friday…

Edit: Yep can be made playable at low settings but they don't do it justice so I'll be
playing it a month from now (on a core i7 950 ATI 5870 rig :) ).

At 1680x1050 all maxed out the game looks very good. I am perfectly satisfied and
the atmosphere is simply great (lighting, weather effects, sound effects, all great),

btw methinks I am gonna love the combat system. Why did the idiots in the prerelease
demos just clicked clicked through it when there is so much variety even from the
moment you grab your first stick ?! They must have wanted it to be a surprise…

Last edited:
I have played the demo on the ancient rig:

Intel Pentium 2,4 Ghz
2GB RAM
512 MB 3650 ATI Radeon graphics card

The demo for Risen played great on this machine; I didn't expect this, but it was nice to find out :) The demo was great, it played liked the old Gothic games. Unfortunately, it ended way too soon...

The game sees only 2 speakers in the settings even though I have 5.1 dolby surround. Perhaps it doesnt understand the digital output on my soundcard.

EDIT: I tested it with unconnected analog 5.1 output on my secondary soundcard and it confirms it. Risen demo defaults digital output as 2.0 and works only with analog 5.1 output. Id call it a bug.

Ok I managed to get 5.1 working by defaulting my sound output to analog 2.0. Somhow my soundcard still defaults this to digital since the analog isnt connected and risen defaults this as 5.1. Doesnt get any more confusing than this but I guess I got lucky.

Last edited:
Gorath, I would probably do that (and also I'd love anotber gig of RAM) but my system is a laptop (forgot to mention that in this thread). I love being able to play and browse the internet in bed, and I got this basically for half-price thanks to a salary-sacrifice deal, so don't get me wrong, I love having a laptop, but I'm not sure if upgrading is really possible. It's a Dell Inspiron 1520, and when I was customising it I put in the highest graphics card it would allow.

Maybe I should contact Dell and see if I could do an upgrade for this system, because it's still in excellent shape and the processor stands up very well, I think. I kinda regret onl getting 2GB of RAM, though. 2 gigs is not a lot when you run Vista. I was considering 3, but then it wouldn't have been dual channel. 4 would have cost like $300 more or something :eek: I know desktop RAM is dirt cheap now, I wonder if laptop RAM is...

mmm... if I could upgrade this machine I'd love that. If I got a new box then I could connect it to my LCD TV and play on the couch.... but lying here in bed with the doona is so comfy, it would be hard to go back desktops.

I have An Inspiron 1720 and have been able to play anything and everything on it. For some things it works better than my mid to high end desktop!!

Back
Top Bottom