Rogue Trader - Gameplay Trailer

EDIT: And can also see how much I care about things like achievements :p
I wonder how that is even possible. :D
Aren't a lot of them just given when you progress the story?

I wonder how that is even possible. :D
Aren't a lot of them just given when you progress the story?
Not sure. I do use a visual adjustment mod to change the visuals of my characters by allowing various hair and beard options and adjust scale (height). I didn't think I had added that till after my first play through but who knows. I googled WOTR achievements not working ... and found a few threads about them being broken for some people. They were older threads from summer and earlier. Supposed to be fix. So maybe it's a mix of a bug and using a mod? No idea and don't care lol :p I didn't even notice I only had 2 till I took the screenshot.

EDIT: Now I was a little curious so I did check the list and says I got those two way back in 9/2021. Since I have completed the game in full a few times my guess is its bugged and I never noticed or is related to using mods.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-23 071553.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-23 071553.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yeah, most likely bugged. I also don't care about achievements, but in my 1.5 playthroughs I got about 30.

Hmm pretty dissapointing and generic trailer, and looks very meh, some scenes dont even have shadows, its probably some rough early alpha

I have 49/110 but I probably have more because I finished 2 DLCs ;)

Alpha access is only for developer ($99) and collector ($299) editions! Owlcats get Alpha testing and get paid at the same time!

Anyway interested to hear Purpleblob thoughts.

Devs just confirmed there's no NDA - told us we can stream it if we wanted :) So watch this space

Wow, that's cool!

Devs just confirmed there's no NDA - told us we can stream it if we wanted :) So watch this space
Odd they used an NDA for the last two games. Maybe because they have no publisher this time dictating terms? Anyway look forward to reading your alpha preview.

Also looks like the full release/not fully patched version will release in 2023.

In games where basically all character progression is built around the combat, setting combat to easy equals to disregarding character progression. And because to me, RPGs are mainly about character progression, I almost immediately loose interest and get bored. I usually get that feeling, like, why bother playing RPG if there is meaningless character progression? I would rather play other genre instead. Or watch movie for story. But I get that other people feel it otherwise.
I remember when I was young, all those moons ago, I used to love bouncing from brick to brick, trying my best to avoid the spinning shells while perfectly timing a jump onto a mushroom's head. It felt so visceral and impactful.

Now that I'm older, however, I have come to realise that it was all just a time waste padding to fill the void of the true meat of the game: The dynamics of princess rescue and the interrelationship between good guy, bad guy and the inevitable Shakespearean tragedy of forbidden love.

So what I do now is use a macro to automatically do all that grindy, jumping shit so I can concentrate on the best aspects of the game: My interactions and conversations with the bad guy and my princess. My emotional connection to the drama and my immersion in my protagonist's plight.

On a more serious note, the true wonder of RPGs is that they are, essentially, the game of all games. In that an RPG really should and could include pretty much everything from every other genre. Adventure game, combat game, story game, stealth game, strategy game, ad-infinitum. Even Minesweeper (traps), Tetras (inventory), Pong (sword & board duals) you name it.

As such, it has the broadest reach of player base variety. Which is both a blessing and a curse. A truly huge double-edged sword which does indeed require a real life sense of ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting. Everybody looks for and appreciates different aspects of the gameplay but weight the RPG too far in one particular direction and you split the player-base, rendering the game unplayable or unenjoyable for a large proportion of your audience.

The biggest pitfall from such a situation is actually making a perfectly balanced game which contains the perfect amount of everything, because to please everyone is to really please no-one. Hence why the games which choose to excel in one aspect, while downplaying others, are the ones that generate the strongest core love, while the please-allers descend into bland mediocrity. Bloodborne or Disco Elysium? Both masterpieces, but both viewed with suspicion in equal numbers, yes, they are good games, but are they RPGs!!!! ??? !!! etc.

So it seems the way forward is options. And this could be why Pathfinder: Kingmaker was so successful. It does everything it should do, it has a little bit of everything. Story, plot, lore, adventure, exploration, characters, side content, combat, management, a core party, and everything else you can think of, which all, inevitably, meant that it got complaints from every aspect as well. Everyone who doesn't like one aspect could find something to moan about.

The plot was a bit rubbish or the combat was a bit rubbish or the management was a bit rubbish, etc etc etc, depending on what aspect of RPGs different people don't like the most. But at the same time, it did have all the elements that different people do like, like a good plot, good combat and good management aspects etc etc etc.

But what it did was supply options so that anyone could remove any aspect that they didn't enjoy. Don't like the management, there's an option to remove that. Don't like the combat, there's an option to remove that. Don't like the story, there's an option to remove that.

And that's where I think the future of core RPGs lay. In creating traditional cover-all campaigns but also creating options that allow so much player customisation that each player can taylor their game into whatever other genre/s they would rather it be biased towards. There will always be room for games that don't have options in preference for an auteured vision, just so long as the primary games in the genre remain broad experiences, I think it's all good.

We're only in trouble if people forget the magic of the broad brush strokes and classic basic concept IMO.

@purpleblob

Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader Alpha Gameplay Impression

In this video, I want to talk about my Alpha Impressions of Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader. I’ve been playing the game for the last few days and I want to talk about the experience I had with the game. The combat, story, performance and what I liked and didn't like. so if you are interested in hearing more about the game, watch on to find out!
Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader Alpha 4K Gameplay

The Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader Alpha is available starting December 7th to those who purchase the Developer's Digital Pack or the Collector's Edition.

Last edited:
Check out the fleet battles at 5:38 into the video. Not sure what to think yet.

Good eye as I skimmed through the videos. I have no problem with space battles fits the setting. Just like I'm sure it will probably have some type of management system again.

Well, the guy thinks they're absolutely terrible, and he wonders why after the kingomd management that nobody liked and the crusade management that nobody liked, they still keep additional stuff like this.

Well, the guy thinks they're absolutely terrible, and he wonders why after the kingomd management that nobody liked and the crusade management that nobody liked, they still keep additional stuff like this.
Simple because they are table-top nerds and love systems. Side-note I didn't dislike them. I never hated the management systems as it fleshed out the campaigns more.

In Pathfinder Kingmaker you ruled a barony then a Kingdom. Not managing it wouldn't make sense. In Wrath of Righteous it was streamlined, and again it fit the campaign.

What I didn't enjoy was the army combat and insane amount of puzzles.

What's a "system"?

And well, I think the management layer just didn't make the games any better. They would have still been awesome without that layer. So for me it's a waste of ressources, that could have been used on other stuff.
But I guess for every gamer there are game features that for them are wasted ressources, like voice overs, romances, crafting etc.

Back
Top Bottom