Rogue Trader - Official Trailer

Both of their Pathfinder games were instant buys for me, but I think I'll hold off on this until there's a good sale. I'm not that familiar with the source material honestly.

I may or may not finish it depending on how much I enjoy it :p
You, not finishing an Owlcat Game?! That would be a strong message, almost heresy indeed. :D

Well, I hope you'll enjoy it. No matter the setting, they must have worked their magic on the story and the companions, at the very least.

You, not finishing an Owlcat Game?! That would be a strong message, almost heresy indeed. :D

Well, I hope you'll enjoy it. No matter the setting, they must have worked their magic on the story and the companions, at the very least.
I will say 2 words: Space combat

Even though I can't wait for this to be released, I won't play the beta either, same as I haven't played any BG3, so that I can experience it as fresh as possible when it releases. I did poke around for a bit in the alpha build they gave some keys for a few months ago. In that one, you were given a premade high-level party, so it was confusing to have a ton of skills that you didn't naturally learn and develop on your own, so I didn't care for the combat, but I liked the rest. To me, WH40k is not about the combat anyway, they could have made it a graphic novel for all I care. They seem to have improved a lot of things in the last few months, which bodes well - The UI looks already much cleaner now than it did back then, for example.

Hopefully, it will release near the end of the year so it doesn't conflict with BG3 because that's probably the only thing that can keep me from playing this on release.
I'm the opposite as I'd probably play Rogue Trader first. But since I own both, I'd also really like a nice amount of time between the releases.

Seems the game is closer release with the beta news. So a 2023 release is possible.(y)

Is it likely to be the weak point of the game?
From past talks and experience with the alpha I agree with her, because it becomes a time slog. Just like how Kingdom managemen't and Crusader mode divided players online.

Ah yes, the dread crusade mode in Pathfinder games. I do love HOMM/King's Bounty kind of games, so I didn't mind, but you can tell a lot of people had trouble with it.

Can only hope it will be a bit less dull this time around, but even then it's hard to imagine it would be the deciding factor on whether the game is enjoyable or not, more like a tiny rough spot in the larger picture, much like in the Pathfinder games.

Is it likely to be the weak point of the game?
I didn't finish alpha content because I needed to win a tough space conbat to progress the story.

And believe me I did try - I attempted that stupid combat like 20 times before flipping the table. Its such a time sink as well - each space combat took me like good 10-15mins complete. At least crusade combat was much quicker.

Beta video seem to indicate ship combat may have been changed so I will cross my fingers and hope for the best. I might even install ToyBox mod to enable cheat if its possible to brute force win it.
but even then it's hard to imagine it would be the deciding factor on whether the game is enjoyable or not, more like a tiny rough spot in the larger picture, much like in the Pathfinder games.
I can see why it would be a deciding factor for some players - especially because these management systems are crucial part of the game.

In Kingmaker, your DC rolls decided fate of your kingdom. I had to reload much earlier save once because one bad DC roll resulted in my kingdom circling the drain. Thankfully they added more kingdom difficulty options etc later to make it a bit easier for players.

Similarly, as I described above, space combat is a crucial part of RT that blocks your progress. They also have colony system which also blocks progress - if anything, management/combat portion is larger in RT than Kingmaker and WotR imo.

From past talks and experience with the alpha I agree with her, because it becomes a time slog. Just like how Kingdom management and Crusader mode divided players online.
I ended up playing through both games with the strategic modes turned on and then off. It definitely was a different experience with those turned off, making it much more of a (fun) tactical RPG as a result. Hopefully they have a similar option for space combat.

I didn't finish alpha content because I needed to win a tough space conbat to progress the story.

And believe me I did try - I attempted that stupid combat like 20 times before flipping the table. Its such a time sink as well - each space combat took me like good 10-15mins complete. At least crusade combat was much quicker.

Beta video seem to indicate ship combat may have been changed so I will cross my fingers and hope for the best. I might even install ToyBox mod to enable cheat if its possible to brute force win it.
That bad eh? :( I wasn't convinced about the space combat when I read about it here after the alpha release, and when watching a video, but I didn't know some combats were actually difficult. So far the meta-games took some time but they weren't that hard. Though in Kingmaker they could ruin the game entirely... but at least it was easy to ruin the game. :p

I'm afraid that space combat may be uninteresting or even a hindrance in Starfield too but we'll see.

I completely disregarded first pathfinder game during development, just because of announced kingdom management gameplay layer. After release it took me completely by surprise how good game was and later even more when I found out Im actually enjoying the kingdom management part as well. Although it definitely wasnt perfect, it had some depth and influence on rest of the game. In second game, which I also like a lot, I didnt have such positive feeling about management part. It felt shallow and I didnt feel its really connected to rest of the game.

So, regarding Rogue Trader, I hope they make managememt layer complex enough and connected to rest of the game, to be interesting and significant part of gameplay, or dont bother at all and make it avoidable as much as possible.
In any case, I appreciate the setting is rather unique for the genre and its one of my most anticipated games.

first pathfinder ... it took me completely by surprise how good game was and later even more when I found out Im actually enjoying the kingdom management part as well. Although it definitely wasnt perfect, it had some depth and influence on rest of the game. In second game, which I also like a lot, I didnt have such positive feeling about management part. It felt shallow and I didnt feel its really connected to rest of the game.
It's more the surprise that made you feel PF1 fake strategy layout not shallow, and I don't remind why it wasn't "widely disconnected to the whole game", it could open an extra chapter that's that? Well I had the infortune to unlock it at first play with many big load back because of some bugs, and I'd prefer never have unlock this chapter, last two chapters are awful chapters from outright kill key characters of party to "they fall on their head" design decision to disable magic, plus some other terrible designs.

Now I'll never replay or play any game of this dev or it remind me they banned me until my death which remind me I'll die in not so many years. Just some despotic/tyrannic mentality from people obviously too much influenced by their leader, madman poutine, shame on those dev.

It's more the surprise that made you feel PF1 fake strategy layout not shallow, and I don't remind why it wasn't "widely disconnected to the whole game", it could open an extra chapter that's that? Well I had the infortune to unlock it at first play with many big load back because of some bugs, and I'd prefer never have unlock this chapter, last two chapters are awful chapters from outright kill key characters of party to "they fall on their head" design decision to disable magic, plus some other terrible designs.

Now I'll never replay or play any game of this dev or it remind me they banned me until my death which remind me I'll die in not so many years. Just some despotic/tyrannic mentality from people obviously too much influenced by their leader, madman poutine, shame on those dev.
Thx a lot for informative reply. You even bothered yourself into thread about game you will never play. Appreciated!

Many Hype Points!! :D Can't wait for a well patched future version! :)

Out of curiosity, any of Watchers participating in beta?

Not me. Are you participating?
Yes, pretty sure I will get a key. But also curious if anyone else will be playing as well.

Back
Top Bottom