RPG General News - Chris Avellone’s Accusers Retract Allegations

It's called at-will employment and is an employer's ability to dismiss an employee for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning, as long as the reason is not illegal. Luckily only ten sates use this absurd law.

He could still claim sexual discrimination as that would be a loophole.
I don't know the intricacies in other states, but like I said, I don't think it matters at all since as far as I've seen, he wasn't employed by anyone anyway. We would need to know the terms of his contracts to even speculate if he had a case against anyone. Which we never will...

Hmm.. based on US law yes he can sue most businesses that fired, or removed his work based on now known false allegations. I'm sure the businesses think otherwise.

Problem is does he have the money, the patience, and the will to do so?

Look at Johnny Depp for an example of what can happen.:eek:
Thanks, I'm fairly certain in the UK that the criminal case has to conclude before any action can be taken by the organisation which is why we get things that look odd in the newspapers - (for example, police officer already serving 20+ years for murder has now been sacked).

I take your point Couch that he may not wish to pursue it any further for various reasons.

NDA or not, I don't think his work contracts are something he'd ever post just so randos on the internet can dissect them.

I guess if he does sue one of the companies he had a contract with, we might see one of them in court filings.

I've seen Teachers getting canceled by wrong accusations in Germany too without a trial happening. A mere claim by a underage girl that *he got cought looking at the girls chest* was enough for him to get him fired. Doesn't matter that he got freed of any accusations later on because the girl was actively trying to force him out of his job because she disliked his teaching methods.

Well he did win 7 figure compensation from the ladies; isn't that at least 1 million?
By various Codex accounts, neither really has any money and were represented by their lawyers pro-bono. So being awarded a million vs. getting any money at all out of them will very likely be two very different things.

I'm asking myself if Avellone is actually on the receiving end for the 7 digit compensations, or the ladies on the other side?
All i got from that statement was that he received his lawyer attorney back in the process , the rest ain't really clear for me with my non native english skills.

Last edited:
I'm asking myself if Avellone is actually on the receiving end for the 7 digit compensations, or the ladies on the other side?
All i got from that statement was that he received his lawyer attorney back in the process , the rest ain't really clear for me with my non native english skills.
Avellone gets it. It's the only thing that makes sense. Plus it's been confirmed by people who have contacted him.

Even with the money, noone really wins here sadly. Chris was always an industry darling, responsible for a lot of PR interviews. I doubt Chris will be offered many comparable opportunities going forward.

Even with the money, noone really wins here sadly. Chris was always an industry darling, responsible for a lot of PR interviews. I doubt Chris will be offered many comparable opportunities going forward.
There are some people who can get past things like this. Louis CK is one of the people who, after admitting to some shitty sexual behavior, isn't pariah anymore . I think. 🤔

There are some people who can get past things like this. Louis CK is one of the people who, after admitting to some shitty sexual behavior, isn't pariah anymore . I think. 🤔
He can sell out private venues but he hasn't had any mainstream deals and public companies are still staying away from him.

Everyone knows that contemporary social media can ruin someone's career and reputation within hours. This settlement may be confidential, but the seven figure sum and the statements made by all parties show that, when it comes to these specific claims, Avellone was wronged. Whether he will manage that "full return to the industry" remains to be seen.
And they pre-emptively disabled commenting on the article before anyone could point out the PCG hypocrisy since they were among the first to throw him under the bus.

And they pre-emptively disabled commenting on the article before anyone could point out the PCG hypocrisy since they were among the first to throw him under the bus.
Isn't that always what happens. Nobody wants facts just click bait sensualist articles. The correct way would be to investigate and actually cross check statements made on Twitter.

Then wait for the legal case to condemn or exonerate the accuser or perp. Seems the court of public opinion has a higher priority then the actual legal system itself nowadays.

Who's paying the 7 figure dollar amount to Chris?

It's kinda terrifying how easy it is to destroy someones career with a couple of wrong accusations and maybe 2-3 buddys to back them up. Even if you loose a late trial, the other guys career will still be in ruins. It's like the modern societies version of a social murder attempt.
Hopefully society will progress, not regress, towards a state where, as attempts like these are successfully met with retributive justice, they become less common and no longer tolerated. Who knows~

Back
Top Bottom