RPG General News - More SSI Games available again

Interesting that the latter four games are being released individually. I wouldn't think there's much interest in those. I'll be curious to see how they price them.

When it tries to save your game, does it default to the A or the B floppy drive?

Fantasy Empires still has some fans but the others not so much. Either way as long as the price is right I'll be happy to bulk up my collection. I quite like that they all share the same mini-launcher that is integrated with Steam.

When it tries to save your game, does it default to the A or the B floppy drive?
Whoa, look at Captain Two Drives over here!
Luxury.

Spelljammer just got a new pen & paper RPG box !

And of course - once you do that you need the last one in that series/category - "Legend of Blacksilver". I'm pretty sure that was the first RPG I played (or at least the first I really got into).
Questron and LotA were published by SSI. Legend of Blacksilver was not published by SSI, instead it was released by Epyx, which is why I doubt it would be included since SNEG seem to only release SSI games. However, he also missed Questron II (the 3rd game in the series) - which was published by SSI!

I didn't mention Questron II because it was already released on GOG!

Questron and LotA were published by SSI. Legend of Blacksilver was not published by SSI, instead it was released by Epyx, which is why I doubt it would be included since SNEG seem to only release SSI games. However, he also missed Questron II (the 3rd game in the series) - which was published by SSI!
I actually didn't know they were published by different companies. I knew Blacksilver was from Epyx so assumed the others were too since they all were created by Charles Dougherty.

Learn something every day

I remember buying Deathkeep, and it having the "honour" of being one of only a handful (two or three) games that I ever returned to the store on the grounds of being rubbish. Well, perhaps that is harsh, but it promised much, and delivered very little - was super disappointing.

My friend had dragonstrike, but it was so complex/fiddly/clunky that we gave up trying to play it. I'm sure some folks got to grips with it, but not us.

As others have said, it is very odd to release these individually, when none were particularly well received originally. I think the SpellJammer game mostly scored for novelty, but IIRC an interview with the programmer explained that it was super-rushed. Fantasy Empires might have been OK, although I think I'm confusing it with Fantasy General.

Why not release all games on both platforms? Can't fathom their reasoning here...

Even the lackluster SSI games tend to tower over anything in the same genre. These days we simply don't realize how fortunate we are to have so many choices.

I think the SpellJammer game mostly scored for novelty, but IIRC an interview with the programmer explained that it was super-rushed.
Of these titles, that's the one I'd be the most interested in trying just because I find the setting interesting. By most accounts though, it's pretty mediocre game.

The Spelljammer universe was so cool, as a pen and paper game I loved it, yet the computer version didn't even come close to capturing that , if I remember right. Of course, anything using the second edition AD&D rules usually struck my fancy in a good way!

Back
Top Bottom