02:08 Enotria
03:12 Once Human
04:23 Kill Knight
05:20 Kriegsfront Tactics
06:06 Beyond These Stars
07:09 Mirthwood
08:10 Wrap Up
More information.

Kind of underwhelming so far, but so were the last few Next Fests imho. The only demos I've bothered to download are Flintlock and Metal Slug Tactics.

I played 2 hours or so with The Alters (it's not in the list above). It could be fun for who like the resource gathering & crafting genre. It seems to go a little deeper than that and deal with the psychology of the companions, like they did in This War of Mine. It's still a bit rough here and there, but it looks quite promising. The graphics are rather good; it's another Unreal Engine 5 game with nice effects without going overboard.

In summary, you're stranded on another planet and you must move the base to deadly escape sunrise. For that, you need resources to build stuff and survive, and you also need altered clones of yourself with other skills because you're alone at the start. The game has mixed modes: a 3D outdoor exploration/mining mode and a 2D-ish/platform indoor management/crafting mode with several activities, one of which is quite original (the clone management).

I'm not sure it's for me, as I'd be quickly bored with all the mining and simcity-like business. It's typically the king of game I like at first, then I lose interest after a few hours. On the other hand, the story and the relationship with the other companions could add enough to keep the motivation going. But in a somewhat related genre, I'd rather play UBOAT, which was inspired by This War of Mine.

Goof: When you first clone a sheep to experiment the procedure, they name it 'Molly' instead of 'Dolly'. ;)

Last edited:
Kind of underwhelming so far, but so were the last few Next Fests imho. The only demos I've bothered to download are Flintlock and Metal Slug Tactics.
Have you played them? If/when you do, please post your impressions (y)

Have you played them? If/when you do, please post your impressions (y)
I played 3 missions from the Metal Slug Tactics demo. It's ok, but it's not something I'd buy. The battle maps are quite small, and it's one of those tactics games that has a sort of puzzle-like feel to it. Fwiw, it's only 850 MB to download and install.

Flintlock is a soulslike, but it's on the easy side compared to other games in the genre. It even lets you choose from 3 levels of difficulty. I played on the middle setting, and it was challenging but not frustrating. The setting is a sort pseudo-WWI meets fantasy thing, or at least that's what it reminded me of because you start out in a battlefield full of large trenches. Combat is mostly melee, but you have a firearm as your secondary weapon. I couldn't relate to the protagonist at all, and I don't plan on buying it, but it seems like a solid title.

Ones that I'm going to look at that aren't on that list:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1900250/Demonschool/ :p

I kind of like the Alters. I'd say it is more narrative driven Sims in Sci-Fi survival settings + This War of Mine base management.

Demo was fully professionally voiced. Inventory management is rudimentary, crafting too. Survival is mostly about time/work stamina and radiation, at least in the demo.

One thing was annoying, inability to save anytime. Like if you have to quit and come back later, game reloads the morning autosave, not where you quit.

Ones that I'm going to look at that aren't on that list:
That looks promising. Not sure how I missed it, but I'm downloading it now.

I played 2 hours or so with The Alters (it's not in the list above). It could be fun for who like the resource gathering & crafting genre. It seems to go a little deeper than that and deal with the psychology of the companions, like they did in This War of Mine. It's still a bit rough here and there, but it looks quite promising. The graphics are rather good; it's another Unreal Engine 5 game with nice effects without going overboard.

In summary, you're stranded on another planet and you must move the base to deadly escape sunrise. For that, you need resources to build stuff and survive, and you also need altered clones of yourself with other skills because you're alone at the start. The game has mixed modes: a 3D outdoor exploration/mining mode and a 2D-ish/platform indoor management/crafting mode with several activities, one of which is quite original (the clone management).

I'm not sure it's for me, as I'd be quickly bored with all the mining and simcity-like business. It's typically the king of game I like at first, then I lose interest after a few hours. On the other hand, the story and the relationship with the other companions could add enough to keep the motivation going. But in a somewhat related genre, I'd rather play UBOAT, which was inspired by This War of Mine.

Goof: When you first clone a sheep to experiment the procedure, they name it 'Molly' instead of 'Dolly'. ;)

Thanks for the impressions.

I'm also generally not very into these sorts of resource management games, but the narrative, if it's good and intriguing and has some philosophical flare, might keep me doing it until the end.

Cool! This one has a HoMM2/HoMM3 vibe :)

I tried a game called Die in the Dungeon.
It's a dice-based game, a little bit like a cross between Dicey Dungeon and Slice & Dice, but I didn't find it as satisfying as those. (I play the mobile version of Slice & Dice on my phone quite a bit)

I just finished the demo for Tower of Mask. Nice old-school dungeon crawler. It's like Legend of Grimrock except you're solo.

I really liked the atmosphere, and it was the best demo I've tried from this Next Fest. Wishlisted.

Another decent demo I played recently is Zephon.

It pops up in the Next Fest list, but it was available prior to that. If you like 4X games, definitely try it. I enjoyed it despite not usually being a fan of games like this. It's from the same guys who made Gladius, and it plays very similar, but I think the setting and factions are more interesting.

OK, I installed some demos mentioned in this thread. I probably won't get to finish them all by the time the Steam Next Fest ends. I just hope the demos I've installed remain available after the event. I know that some demos kept available to play even after the end of the previous Next Fest.

I had another go of The Alters, and some of my progress wasn't saved. I'm not sure when it saves, but not enough for my liking. Couldn't be arsed doing those bits again, so bye bye game.
I hate it when games do that. It seems games are not able to implement a simple game saving feature any more.

Back
Top Bottom