RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

Yeah I got that Spy DNA update as well, I'd about given up on that one entirely, to be honest. I had to pour through some old folders just to refresh my memory on just exactly what it was!!

Yep I came to expect that most of my funded kickstarters are in development limbo at this point. Some have released something completely different like Sui Generis.

At this point in time the only games that were released as promised were from Larian, Inxile,Obsidian, and a few non RPG games. That's very disappointing in my book.

Last edited:
Where the Hades is the rest of Alternate Reality!? It's thirty years late now! I'm starting to wonder if it will get done in my lifetime.

Aliens: Crucible RPG - Obsidian

wow.. would have loved to see that..
Seems Obsidian was the company who always made great prototypes/demos of RPGs just to somehow mess it up during development,or the publisher pulled the plug.:disappointed:

I love Obs, but this really looks terrible.
Someone never heard of a prototype/vertical slice presentations?:p

Remember this is leaked game-play of a game that was canceled way before it even entered Beta. So it's not even complete and needed a lot more work to be done.

It's also made right after working on Dungeon Siege III, and their own in-house onyx engine in 2011. So tech was nothing like it is now almost eight years later.

Last edited:
Someone never heard of a prototype/vertical slice presentations?:p

It's not even complete and needed a lot more work to be done.

Well true, but when you consider Mass Effect and Dead Space were released before it, I could see why MS wanted to pull the plug on this.
Kind of what happened with Alpha Protocol: it came about year or two too late.

You really don't. :)

I love Obs, but this really looks terrible.

Not a huge Obsidian fan, but i'd love to see an Aliens RPG. Yeah the video looks crude, i mean a proper, finished version with good budget and plenty of dev time ;)

Well true, but when you consider Mass Effect and Dead Space were released before it, I could see why MS wanted to pull the plug on this.
Kind of what happened with Alpha Protocol: it came about year or two too late.
Cant argue that but Obsidian wanted a true Aliens: Crucible RPG not a ME hybrid.

So take into consideration Alpha Protocol was a commercial failure, and that's probably why Sega pulled the plug. Cant blame them but Obsidian and publishers don't mix well.

I'm still bummed about Alpha Protocol's failure as it did some things right. Seems we will never a a Spy RPG of that scope ever again with the new dialogue system.
Not a huge Obsidian fan, but i'd love to see an Aliens RPG. Yeah the video looks crude, i mean a proper, finished version with good budget and plenty of dev time ;)
Anything is better then those FPS Horror games with mixed reviews in the last few years.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a non-russian-voiced, actually playable, mostly bug-free version of Precursors. (just fyi, its in a horrible state: https://store.steampowered.com/app/547930/Precursors/)

I know I am bending the definition of vaporware, but since it is not really playable I'd say this counts.
Och I remember playing the unfinished English version and I agree.:nod:

This is what I talked about in another thread about Russian developers. Great ambitions, little funding, poor translations, and a shit ton bugs that never get fixed.

Still it looks to be getting better with some developers so I can't just generalize, and say all developers are crap. Should of mentioned this in my other thread at least.:)

Yeah, Precursors is a text book example for great ambition and poor implementation.

Otherwise, it's mixed (edit: wrt. russian devs.). If you look at 1C, they released a bunch of crap but also some nice gems (especially Kings Bounty:Legend and Armored Princess). Nival is also not too bad, they did Rage of Mages and the (not great but palatable) Heroes of Might and Magic V.

Last edited:

( Lack of their own)Tech/engine seems to be always Obsidian's core problem. Reason why their best games are sequels of someone else's IP.

Ultima 8: Lost Vale expansion. :( I wish it would show up on an old hard drive of one of the developers!

That all the software/date was completely deleted for the Lost Vale is a huge travesty, to this day. If I remember correctly, I think the only thing that survived was the box art, which is simply incredible to believe. I mean, this expansion was all but completed when Electronic Arts pulled the plug, I think this might have been the first sign for me that this company had seriously changed, and not for the better.

Just checked the Prisonscape blog and it seem they just released Alpha version 6 a couple weeks ago. From the brief description it sounds like they have a way to go but at least progress is being made.

Also Couch recently reminded me of another Vaporware title in the KS forums, That Which Sleeps. I didn't back the Kickstarter but it definitely sounded like an interesting concept.. Too bad that it seems to have been completely abandoned.

Just checked the Prisonscape blog and it seem they just released Alpha version 6 a couple weeks ago. From the brief description it sounds like they have a way to go but at least progress is being made.
Glad to see its not dead at least, but development is at best a snail pace.
Also Couch recently reminded me of another Vaporware title in the KS forums, That Which Sleeps. I didn't back the Kickstarter but it definitely sounded like an interesting concept.. Too bad that it seems to have been completely abandoned.
Yeah that game had potential but was redesigned to much, and given the developers lack of any update in two years. It's safe to say it's dead, or as we call it vaporware.

Don't think anyone has mentioned it in this thread, but Mage's Initiation Reign of the Elements is a Kickstarter game (QfG style RPG / point & click adventure hybrid), which I backed years ago and has been delayed forever. There were many reasons for delays, but one of the major ones was that it apparently took many months for the dev to lip-sync the character's with their voiced dialogue. I just checked the comments and dev posted a mini update just two days ago:

Himalaya Studios said:
Hey guys. I've just finished lip-syncing the very last line for the game. Woohoo! We're currently doing some final retakes with the D'arc voice actor and I'm also going through all the scenes in the game, listening to the voices, and adjusting them for timing in their respective scenes (i.e. so that they match up with musical cues and so that the pauses between dialogue lines with other NPCs sounds natural). I'm fixing any bugs along the way, too, and addressing the remaining bugs found in alpha testing to polish it up.

I'm anticipating a few weeks more of prep-work and then we'll launch beta v1.0 for testers, with all the voice-work intact. I'll hold off on doing a pushing a proper Kickstarter update until the beta is ready, so the next update should serve as a notification that the beta is available for testing. Thanks for your continued patience, eveyone!

Back
Top Bottom