RPGs and the next generation

MAHak

Sentinel
I’m in my mid 30’s, I have 2 kids, and the oldest one is about to turn 7.

So I think he is coming to the age where I want to teach him, or begin to talk to him about fantasy role playing, how it works and the basic western canonical lore (elf, dwarfs, magic and so on).
He has already seen me play some RPGs on my PC, and he was rather curious about it.
Yesterday I bought him/me* a Magic (the card game) beginners pack, and he thought the cards were rather cool. I was about the same age when I got my first Magic cards (in 1994-95).

*I realised that my collection of Magic
cards, that I discarded/passed on, one way or another about 10 years ago, was/are actually worth a good penny nowadays 😩.

My next idea is to start reading “The Hobbit” to him, as a bedtime story.

My parents didn’t actively try to push the fantasy/RPG phenomenon upon me, so I was about 13 when I finally started reading “The Hobbit” on my own.

At the same time Diablo 2 came out.
D2, is the game that almost single-handedly is responsible for me learning English, as a second language.
I was only allowed to play an hour, or two, every day, but there were no restrictions on reading the rather comprehensive manual that you received with the game, over and over again.
Even today I think that localising video games, hampers the huge potential for video games in helping people to learn English.

So in the end what I think is useful about telling kids about RPGs and made up lore, is that it is a helpful tool for learning how to view existence in different ways, and sort of be better to understand how people goes through their lives.

TL;DR

What are people’s experience with teaching children (theirs) about fantasy and role playing in general?

Last edited:
I think it is good to start with choose-your-own adventure style books and then move on to more elaborate ones like Fighting Fantasy/Lone Wolf.

But yeah, reading the Hobbit would be right up there. Pretty much every study out there says that one of the best things you can do is read to your kids.

The other thing that I have done is give books like the Monster Manuals/Bestiary type books as well. Kid's love the ones with great artwork but those although that might be better left till they get a bit older (say 9-10) as some of the content in there can be a little scary for the younger ones.

The Hobbit cartoon from 1977 made me fall in love with the fantasy genre. I was seven years old back then. :) Maybe try that cartoon or some newer ones.

As a teenager, I loved The Hobbit. But that's late, I agree.
It is, however, a book primarily written for children - Tolkien's children, to be exact, as far as I know, and thus - in my opinion - has a writing style that suits children, clear, simple language, not many difficult words.

Poin't and Click Adventures or games like The Settlers are good games for kids.

Used a range of books with my kids to establish what topics got them interested but the early PC games tended to be adventure. Slower paced, time to think and avoided the repetitive and loud brainless games.
Fantasy never really kicked in but sci fi and world building type games did.

D2, is the game that almost single-handedly is responsible for me learning English, as second language.
I were only allowed to play an hour, or two, every day, but there were no restrictions on reading the rather comprehensive manual that you received with the game, over and over again.
Even today I think that localising video games, hampers the huge potential for video games to help people learn English!
Out of curiosity, what is your nationality?

I'd also introduce him to science-fiction soon as well not just fantasy. Though you have to be careful because a lot of sci-fi isn't made for kids that young.

My parents didn’t actively try to push the fantasy/RPG phenomenon upon me, so I was about 13 when I finally started reading “The Hobbit” on my own.
So in the end what I think is useful about telling kids about RPGs and made up lore, is that it is a helpful tool for learning how to view existence in different ways, and sort of be better to understand how people goes through their lives.
It was the same for me, and it must have been about the same age. :)

I think it's fine that parents share their passion with their kids, but they should also encourage them to try other things to give them a chance to discover their own, that they share with friends for example.

I'm not sure about the "helpful tool" bit. Kids roleplay naturally, that's how they learn. It's great to develop imagination, but I fail to see how that would help them understand how real people think or live, because it's something else entirely. I would even argue that it may encourage them to live in their own RPG bubble rather than mingle with different people and develop a good grasp of social relationships.

Even today I think that localising video games, hampers the huge potential for video games to help people learn English!
I have mixed feelings about it. I'm always playing games in English, not French. Mainly because nothing is lost in translation and because it's a pleasant and more compact language (for those reasons, I also use it as default for my OS). And maybe a little to learn or at least maintain the knowledge of the language.

But I think it's also important to preserve our native language. It's already a constant struggle against the invasion of (mostly) US movies, series, events, life style... so I'd rather make it a choice in everything cultural, including games.

Besides, English is not liked nor necessary in all countries either. To give some perspective, wouldn't you hate it if each game was only in Chinese or had voice-over with a difficult-to-understand Indian accent? Yet perhaps it would make more sense today.

Out of curiosity, what is your nationality?

I'd also introduce him to science-fiction soon as well not just fantasy. Though you have to be careful because a lot of sci-fi isn't made for kids that young.
I'm Danish.
He likes Star Wars, and has different SW toys (LEGO and plush-toys), but since I don't want yet another streaming subscription (while also not being to keen about Disney either) he hasn't seen any movies/animations from the franchise yet, but some day I'll probably cave in and get that stupid Disney+ subscription.
I did bought the video game SW:Fallen Order, that we sometimes play together before bedtime. The protagonist has this small assisting robot that sits on his back, as he runs through the different levels. So once we're done playing I let him ride on my back, a practise that's not going to be feasible much longer, to the bathroom and then to his bed. Which he finds hilarious.

I do agree that most sci-fi is generally more mature content, so I’ll probably wait a few years with that, unless he sorts of develops an interest of his own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom