RPGWatch - 15 Years old

First of all congrats, RPGW!
Love you all!

Why do you visit the Watch?
For the latest RPG News and to meet like-minded people.

What is your favourite thread?
The news thread.

Who do you miss?
Nobody atm.

What's your favourite RPG?
Baldur's Gate II for the story and atmosphere. ToEE for the combat system.
The Pathfinder games will be contenders going forward.

Loved crpgs ever since I first played one. This site is both a great way to stay current on upcoming titles, as well as learn about older games you may have missed out on.

In all honesty, I don't have one. I tend to focus on whatever thread catches my interest at the moment. Either because it's about a game I am already interested in, or because the topic/game sounds like it could fit my tastes.

Who do you miss?
Nobody I can think of, anyone I could name is currently active on this forum.

The toughest of questions, there are dozens of games deserving serious consideration.

However, I think "Kingdom Come: Deliverance", "The Witcher 3", "Baldur's Gate II" and "Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous" are the titles that would compete for my gold, silver & bronze rankings.

Many thanks to everyone keeping this site alive, active and in tip-top shape.:thumbsup:

I appreciate getting news on RPGs I just don't see anywhere else.

I've been getting news updates from RPGWatch in my Feedly feed lately, so it's hard for me to say. The periodic giveaways are always encouraging to participate in, as a giver and receiver!

Who do you miss?
I'm not very social online, just IRL. However, I appreciate the incredible amount of work Myrthos does with the giveaways and the rest of the site!

So many! Chrono Cross, Baldur's Gate II, Planescape: Torment, Alpha Protocol, The Wicther(s), Chrono Trigger, FF7, DQ8, Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, Wasteland 2, Fallout 2..

Appreciate chatting with fellow RPG enthusiasts, discover hidden gems and of course, lurk threads (which I've been doing years before this profile was created).

Ones with a few @Couchpotato; comments

Who do you miss?
I have a terrible memory

Fallout 2, Torment, Arcanum, Original Sin 2, Gothic 2 and the likes

Happy Birthday Everyone :party::cake::highfive:
Why do you visit the Watch? News and community
What is your favourite thread? Couch's news - best when he throws his 2 cents in.
Who do you miss? Dart between visits.
What's your favourite RPG? BG2, Morrowind, ME2, Witcher3 and many more.

Happy Birthday and congrats - my favorite RPG news site ... and really the only site I visit daily. I was following since 2001 or so but always a lurker for the most part until I finally got up the nerve to start posting years later.

Get gaming news, enjoy discussions, a sense of belonging to a community, sharing a passion for a common hobby

Couch's random RPG news

Who do you miss?

I miss Dart, I always enjoyed his long debates and insights

So hard - especially comparing nostaglic memories of past games to the more current games that are fresh in memory.

Guess I have to say BG games, which had been holding the crown since they came out, has been replaced with WOTR as my favorite RPG, at least right now.

Easier to say my favorite games (plural) are: Baldur Gate 1, 2 and expansions; Dragon Age: Origins; Skyrim; Fallout 4; SIMS 4; and Wrath of the Righteous (while I really enjoyed Kingmaker I have to say WOTR has sucked me in far deeper, I just love how epic and detailed it is).

Happy Birthday Everyone :party::cake::highfive:
Why do you visit the Watch? News and community
What is your favourite thread? Couch's news - best when he throws his 2 cents in.
Who do you miss? Dart between visits.
What's your favourite RPG? BG2, Morrowind, ME2, Witcher3 and many more.

You posted this while I was writing mine and so after I posted mine I saw your post and saw we matched up pretty close.

We all have shared interests but the variety of personalities keep things interesting. There is always a new way to look at something. Especially if @wolfgrimdark; has a screenshot for it ;)

Happy 15th birthday! Time flies...

Best place to gets news on the type of games I like. I also value the opinion of certain people here, even though I have not had any personal relationships with any of them. Atmosphere is always nice (mostly :p ) and there is no hate speech of any kind.

News comments and general game tips and tricks, depending what I play
What games are you playing now?
Last game you finished, tell us about it

Who do you miss?
I do not miss anyone really, although I do remember Dart and his arguments a bit, even though as I mentioned, didn't have any relationship other than some exchanges on games

Some of them are: Both Pathfinders, Baldur's Gate II, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Wasteland 3

Because I have always been here? Nah, I come because it is a place of like minded(mostly) stubborn rpg fans. We may not always agree with one another but I think everyone adds something(even couch). It doesn't feel like 15 years though does it?

Any thread that showcases something I haven't heard of or shines a light on a game I wouldn't normally care about.

Who do you miss?

I miss Dart as well...though I suspect he is here in alt mode;)

This is where I wax poetic about Ultima 7. The first game on computers to try and have a religion/sandbox that was way beyond it's time. No one has been able to recapture that magic so far...though larion has tried, though I think they miss the mark in the fact they don't take themselves seriously enough without coming across as pretentious. Hard line not to cross.

One regret I have had over the last 15 years is never actually becoming that game maker I wanted to be...I even posted thought threads on how to develop a blober world.

Happy Birthday, RPGWatch :party::party2::cake:

May another 15 years come again!!

Like most of us, for RPG (actually, gaming) news. But funnily enough, my first time here wasn't due to this reason. I was googling something like "RPG of the Year", and among all results, I noticed a site which I've never been to before. This one.

Back then, IIRC the results for the "RPG of the Year" survey were located on the rightmost column in the RPGWatch home page (old-timers here may or may not confirm this, please). I glanced the results and sometime after I decided to join the community. :)

News section (of course)
Pricewatch
TV Series/Movies discussion threads
CouchPotato's RPG News Thread
and sometimes I browse thru the trio "Last Game(s) You Bought', "Last Game You Finished" and "What Games Are You playing Now?"

Who do you miss?
I do miss Aubrielle. Apart from her, most of the people I relate to/talk to are still actively here.

In no order of importance: Wizardry VIII, Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Heroes of Might & Magic II and III, Ultima Underworld I and a few more that I'm surely forgetting about at this moment :)
EDIT: System Shock I & II as well :)

Last edited:
Why do I visit the Watch?

I lurked for years and years, and finally decided to join in. I don't visit many places on the internet, losing a computer some years ago to some icky virus made me wary of roaming, so this is the only site I use for entertainment purposes.

Favourite thread?

Pretty much all of them, to varying degrees. You'll likely find me most often in the reading and music threads, so perhaps those two win out.

Who do I miss?

No one, really. If Pibbur ever leaves again, I've threatened to hunt him down, though, if that counts!

Favourite RPG:

One? I have to pick one?? Fine....Wizardry Four, the Return of Werdna. It took such a novel approach to the game, just always resonated with me. I'd be playing it now if I had my old computer!!

All I have to say to this is YAYYY!!! Still my favorite RPG site, and the only one I visit regularly.

Hmm… Says my account's been registered over 10 years, but I was lurking long before that. I think it started when Dragon Age Origins was first announced, as that was the first game to return to the RPG glory of the 90's, and I wanted more inside info. I also like that it's European as it give me a non-American perspective on gaming, and is the only interest forum I regularly post to.

Anyway, happy anniversary!

Favorite RPG remains the Mass Effect series, followed by Witcher 3.

My sincerest thanks to Myrthos and everyone who helps keep this site running - it is hugely appreciated! I've only been posting here since 2016 but I have been visiting daily since the early RPGDot days. In fact, back then I lived in a very remote part of the world where all we had was an incredibly slow satellite connection and I'd sit there for about 5 or 6 minutes eagerly waiting for the site load load every morning. =)

News and announcements. This has been the primary way I've stayed tapped into what's coming and what's out there. I also enjoy the discussions and banter, especially when Couch and JDR13 get on each other's nerves. =)

Don't think I have one.

Who do you miss?
No one in particular, though I often liked Dart's perspective on things.

Wow, too many to list one. Gothic, Fallout 1, DA:O, FFT, Breath of the Wild, Morrowind, Tactics Ogre, KotOR.

I'm a huge RPG fan and RPGWatch is still the best source for PC-RPGs.

Movie thread
Last Game You Finished

Who do you miss?
I quite liked Pink Eye

Icewind Dale, Hoards of the Underdark, King's Bounty: The Legend, Blackguards, Avernum 3, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, The Banner Saga 1.

And I agree, thanks go to everyone who contributes content to the site.

This is a great site, recommended for anyone who enjoys crpgs. I visit the site frequently so that I won't miss rpg-related news, and sometimes I even learn of games I would otherwise miss altogether.

Happy Birthday. Thank you to everyone who makes the site tick.

Originally in 2012, because I was tired of all the grandiose action RPGs and was desperately in search of something like Wizardry or Baldur's Gate, and found out a lot of information here about games I had never heard of.

I pretty much only read the news these days.

Who do you miss?
Aubrielle was the article editor when I posted my first few reviews and she did a wonderful job and was extremely kind and helpful.

For years I'd say Planescape:Torment and Wizardry 8, because I simply could no longer relate to AAA rpgs and went back and replayed old ones. Now I am not so sure, I recently really liked both Pillars of Eternity games, as well as the Legend of Heroes Jrpgs, Might and Magic X, Stranger of Sword City and Lords of Xulima. Currently I am really enjoying Pathfinder:Wrath of the Righteous. There are a lot of really good rpgs, in my opinion that have come out in the last 8 years.

I have been lurking here and at the previous site rpgdot for years and years. I didn't participate in forum discussion though when it was rpgdot, but I just read the news, and as a rpg enthusiast I loved the site, of course.

So then I migrated here when it became rpgwatch, and finally registered and started participating in the discussions. I like this site because I love rpgs, and it has good discussions, and good news articles, and everyone seems pretty cool here.

I miss most of the regulars who have left, but I don't remember their names most of the time, but I miss them if they were regulars here. One of them was a guy who always said "UgoIgo", yea, I know its weird, but I miss them too. One that does come to mind is Eye, she was a moderator, and I thought she was an awesome moderator.

I like most of the classic rpgs and those with an old school sensibility.

If I had to name favorites -- Baldur's Gate, Gothic 1,
Fallout 3, Witcher 3, Icewind Dale, Deus Ex: Human Revolution,
Dragon Age: Origins and Divine Divinity. (roughly in order of my top rpgs)

If talking about more modern rpgs, then my favorites are:

Wasteland 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and I can see both Encased (its a shoo-in, to be honest, I love this game) and
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous as strong candidates to make my favorites list as well, once I do full play-throughs (after they get patched/polished up by the developers)

One note: I loved the combat in Divinity: Original Sin, maybe the best rpg combat ever, but the reason it doesn't make my favorites list is its too cartoony for my taste, but its a great game, regardless

Just another quick note, now that I read the whole initial post -- please no hurry in making a site redesign! Part of the reason, in my humble opinion, that this site is so good and popular is the clean and simple design. This is a beautifully designed site, to be honest, and change for change's sake often, in my opinion and experience from what I have seen in past site redesigns of other websites, often is not an improvement, but a step backwards.

People have been brainwashed or trained to think "change = always good" but its not true. It really isn't. I shouldn't have to bring up "New Coke" as the most memorable example either, lol.

Anyway, my 2 cents on that.

Back
Top Bottom