RPGWatch - 15 Years old

Well I'm guilty of never visiting RPGDot many years back as I was getting my news on other sites at that time. It wasn't until the site closed that I heard about RPGWatch.

I've been a member on this site for over ten years and was even a news-poster and mod at one point. I even ran my own forum for a few months till the money went dry.

Why do you visit the Watch?

News about games I miss and to chat with a few online friends.

What is your favorite thread?

Well I'll be biased and say my own news thread.

Who do you miss?

To many to count as they left the site and stopped posting. Some I wish would leave and never post again as well, but that's usual for most online sites I'm a member of.

What's your favourite RPG?

Again to many to list but I enjoy Bioware, Obsidian CDPR, & Owlcat style of games.

I started reading rpgdot ages ago (I had just discovered cRPGs - Baldur's Gate - so some time after that) then migrated over to rpgwatch when it emerged. Tried some other sites, but always ended up back here :) Many thanks to the people who put in (and have put in) so much work over so many years to make this site what it is.

Greats selection of RPG related news, interesting artciles, reviews, community help (< - -very important!)

What is your favourite thread?

I usually scan the news first and then look for lively forum discussions on games of interest.

Who do you miss?

Hm, no one I can think of right now

Probably BG series - my intro to the genre, before that had only played some adventure games and Ultima (think it was 2?) with a friend on his Apple 2c ;) - but not for long, and it has seemed kind of tedious. BG1 was such an amazing game at the time, I'd played d&d for years and it just gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Happy 15th, RPGWatch!
Well, it's tempting to put a joke reply for all these questions, but, in all seriousness, it's probably mostly due to the front page layout being an efficient way to spend 5 seconds to see if there's any new RPGs I haven't heard of.
News comments is a thread, isn't it? That one!
Who do you miss?
It's gotta be DArt. He wasn't always right, or agreeable or even very cool but he was always engaging and could take a good trolling so I don't think there's ever been a user who's offered better entertainment value. :)
At the moment the new Pathfinder is my favourite, but I'll always have a soft spot for the goldbox AD&D games.

Wow time flies, I've been here since the beginning! (I started with RPGDot)

I come here because I love RPG's, it the best round up place on the net.

Favourite RPG? That's hard, I still have a huge warm spot in my heart for EotB 1&2, Lands of Lord, and so many other classics. BG 1&2, Fallout, so many. In recent years PoE2 has been my top, although Tyranny was also fantastic.

Daniel.

Last edited:
At the time I was operating The Locus Inn, which was focusing on Infinity Engine games (some more and some less in detail). This was the year 2000.

Wow I remember that! Doesn't seem like that long ago!

Daniel.

I found this site about 10 years ago when I was Googling for something to play after Mass Effect 2. Google recommended me this site and this site recommended the Witcher 2. I fell in love with the series and in a love-hate relationship with this site. On the one hand, I do enjoy reading what people write here. On the other hand, reading what people write here makes me understand that I have a pretty boring life because I use my time to read what people write here :lol:

To get news about games I could and do like. To read what people write here. Mostly as a form of procrastination. I ought to have better things to do, but I don't.

Couchpotato's Random RPG News.

Who do you miss?

Reason, sometimes.

The Witcher 3. Followed by TW2, Mass Effects 1-2, Baldur's Gates, Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Thank you to everybody who contributes to this site. You do not waste your time (unlike me :D)

Thanks to the RPG Watch team and congratulations on 15 years! It's one of very few sites I've visited since forever.

To get news and other users' perspectives on CRPGs and... on politics. It's very interesting to read the P&R threads as long as they stay decent. :)

Hmm... Can't think of one right now. I tend to post a little more now and then and lately I haven't posted or read much. So I have none at the moment.

Who do you miss?
Prime Junta was interesting to read posts from in P&R

That depends on what genre of RPGs. The classic Rtwp games, Fallout 2. Many more but I'm too lazy to think about them right now.

Holy shit, it's been 15 years already?

I wasn't online, as in on the internet, during rpgdot's years, but I did know of it, during my many visits to various internet caffes. I don't really consider myself being online until i got a proper internet connection from home.

By the time I got online, as in my parents got an internet connection, it was very sketchy through a dial-up modem. So, I'm not sure I can consider being online in that period. Only for very short stints where I would gather threads and information to read after I would disconnect. I still remember following Gothic 2 while it was under development, in that mostly offline manner. Gaming magazines were also a big thing in those years (2000-2004).

Apparently I joined rpgwatch in July 2007, so pretty close to the release in Oct 2006. I remember, after getting proper internet, I kept skuling rpgdot, but I can't remember if I ever made an account. My first internet gaming forum probably was on worldofgothic.com, the english sister site to the german one. That was a blast and a lot of fun interacting with that comunity. There were also a lot of people from my home country. Gothic was a special case with Romanians, since one of the most popular gaming magazines had the full game released along side their usual cds with demos and stuff. I'm not sure how they pulled off that distribution deal, but it was surprising. I got into Gothic sooner than that, but it really brought a lot of discoverability to the game in my country.

I can't remember when exactly did worldofogothic.com die, but I think I was already on rpgwatch, and I guess I made the full transition over here. I was a lot more active in the beginning years than later on, and I guess I also got tired of endless debates on various things, as things usually devolve into on forums. I think I spent a lot of time on gaming forums. A lot more than what is probably healthy. I think I got myself rid of the need to fix the age old "there's someone wrong on the internet. I need to fix that". :lol: by the time I got a few years on rpgwatch.

In the recent years I think I've mostly enjoyed reading people's opinions on various things, seeing what I'd probably enjoy or not. But mostly as a lurker, again. I did have a short burst of more frequent posting thanks to a renewed passions for some games. I love sharing what I'm going through as I'm going through it.

As for the questions:
Gaming news and discussions, mostly. Recommendations on games, movies, tv series, books.

What are you currently playing, watching, I guess.

Who do you miss?
I think I'm bad with my memory, so I can't remember who of the old people that have left I miss. Of the recent ones, Dart stands out, for me also.

I'll only go by recent ones I played. I can't be bothered to do a proper list. So, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Days Gone (yeah, it has enough systems/mechanics that I can consider it an rpg; or lets just say it has enough systems to allow me to easily role play)

Happy anniversary to the Watch! :party:

Im daily checking on the news here, which actually answers both first questions. News on the Watch is place where I get most distilled information on cRPG world out there. And experience of fellow Watchers often helps me to decide, which RPGs are worth of my attention. So thanks for that and wish for another great 15 years, at least.

Best RPGs of recent years are both Pathfinder games, dont have to think about that. And RPG games from past? BG2, Planescape and Gothic2.

• Nowadays, to keep up on indie games that may have snuck past my radar.
  • I don't really have a favorite thread, per se. Maybe the TV series discussion thread.
Who do you miss?
  • @RampantCoyote? Where's that bugger been? :)
  • Favorite traditional RPG, probably Pathfinder Kingmaker (have not yet played WotR). Blobbers such as M&M VI and Wizardry 8 hold a special place in my heart as well.

Congratulations on the longevity, Watch! If I remember correctly, Rpgdot had a list of the top 100 RPGs that was kept somewhat up to date, so I used to visit that site to decide what to buy. I found this site at some point later, and I have lurked here ever since, occasionally posting. I checked out the codex as well, only to find out that I was much more comfortable with the tenor and approach here. This site and blues News are the only two computer gaming sites I read to this day. Thank you for all your great work!

Congratulations on the anniversary!

It's hard to believe that it's been 15 years already. I discovered RPGDot when searching for information about Gothic and migrated over here shortly after the Watch was created.

The Watch provides the best source of news covering crpgs, and there's a great mix of people here.

Can't say I have a favorite, but I probably spend the most time in the news thread.

Who do you miss?
Several members over the years, but I'm terrible with remembering names.

Impossible to name just one. Gothic and Baldur's Gate are probably the most responsible for my love of the genre.

I seek info of new rpgs from here and I also use the steam curator. I watch news thread most often. Some people were quite unforgotteable i.e Dart I think. Not sure if he still visits this place.

Favorite rpg too many. I would like a new version of betrayal at krondor or ultima underworld (even arcana remake would be ok). My favorite rpg might actually be certain mod for neverwinter nights now that I think about it.

Quite the trip down memory lane, thanks for the write-up!
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the site and everyone involved, ofc!

I used to post news for a while back on UltimaDot and may just have gone awol from that job at some point, but I did make the jump in time to sport that beautiful, beautiful Join Date you can glimpse to the right.

I don't post much, but if I have anyplace that I would consider my home on the web, this is it.

Because I would've missed many a gem if I didn't check back here that other, bigger sites would not deem worth the effort. And because just reading the comments below makes me feel like I've discussed some game or other with good old friends.

Linen, actually.

Who do you miss?
A sense of wonder.

Dragon Wars. No, Wiz7. Wait, it's Planescape. Scratch that, it must be the Savage Empire. Yeah, thereabouts.

Congratulations on the anniversary!

Let's see, I came over from RPGDot like a bunch of the old-timers. I don't think I posted in the original thread since I was on vacation, but I posted that same week.

Sheer habit. It's one of the few sites I feel safe enough to visit from work.

Couch's random news, naturally.

Who do you miss?
Well, not everyone I'll mention is completely gone, but they don't post much: cm, vurt, dte, magerette, jaz, dhruin, Desslock, etc.

Skyrim :) Everything else Bethesda is 2nd. I play way more survival games now as most of those have the same things I love in crpgs: crafting, exploring a map, finding loot, showing gear on your avatar (Barbie!).

Current RPG--SCUM

Congrats on the birthday! Time sure flies. This website is my favorite little corner on the interwebz, so thanks to everyone (and especially Myrthos) for keeping this place going.

Happy Birthday RPGWatch! Kudos to long time news posters, HiddenX, Silver, Myrthos and even that irascible spud. Nice to see the baton being passed on with Redglyph who is also doing a top job in recent times with great energy.

I found the 'Watch whilst looking for a place to discuss my first amazing time playing Gothic II. This was back in around 2008. I was a member of the Ironworks Forum at the time but traffic was gradually falling away there and so I moved on. I definitely lurked for awhile here before becoming a member.

RPGs have been my dominant gaming genre of choice for many years. I like to read opinions and explore/share gaming experiences with like minded fans and folk. Keeping in touch with the 'Watch news is a vital part of my internet routine despite being an irregular poster these days.

I don't really have one - but I like to peruse News Comments and General most of the time. Any time a new game hits, I often enjoy the associated "impressions threads" and will sometimes browse such threads in between playing. Last game you completed is also interesting. I appreciate it when enthusiastic gamers write new and creative threads to engage readers.

Who do you miss? @DeepO; was a great chap who had insight and could articulate his opinions on games better than most. Haven't seen him for awhile. I loved discussing Dark Souls with him as he was playing it way before the band wagon jumpers were, come the third game. @JonNik; was another good poster who I also remember well. Have to add Dhruin into this mix too as he was the main news poster when I joined.

That's a question for the ages! Bard's Tale III, Curse of the Azure Bonds were the games that got me started and so are sentimental favourites. Ultima Underworld II, Ultima VII, Fallout and Planescape Torment rate highly. I've also replayed every infinity engine game at least 2-3 times and still go back to that gameplay style. I started my "Dwarves of Doom" party in Icewind Dale during our second lockdown in Australia - need to get back to that soon. :)
Unfortunately I'm philosophically somewhat bouncing off many recent cRPGs particularly in this Early Access era. Somewhat as a result, I like to go backwards and find gems that I've missed rather than be obsessed with what's trending today. A great example of digging into the past is MAME - where you have over 7000 titles to choose from. And so gameplay remains king for me.

I never did get around to posting stories on my Avernum 4&5 adventures. They're my last two completed RPGs. Big thanks to Watcher @Fnord; who actually gave me that classic Avernum trilogy quite a few years back. That's the kind of RPG camraderie which makes for happy memories. :)

Well, thanks again RPGWatch. Keep right on levelling up and news questing. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom