RPGWatch favicon

Taluntain

Keeper of the Watch
Staff Member
Administrator
Do we have any artists with spare time on their hands here?

The RPGWatch favicon https://www.rpgwatch.com/favicon.ico could do with a better version; maybe just the top part of the tower, basically something more crisp, less blurry and instantly recognizable. Not necessarily a tower if the connection is still there.

What pixel-size (width x height) and color depth is allowed?

It's apparently a complicated answer but in short, it seems nice to embed 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48.

Maybe the easiest is to use this site to generate the favicon, and for the testing.
It has a little FAQ for the details.

I wanted to keep it simple for starters and just go for the basic 32x32 icon, but yea, as @Redglyph mentioned, it's complicated because different devices also demand different icons and if you want to cover them all, you have to make a bunch of different sizes with different names. If you google the subject of favicons you get a bunch of websites listing the sizes/names for different uses. But for starters, it'd be good to settle on a basic desktop browser one first and only bother with the rest after that.

The easiest way would be to make a high-res version first and then use one of the generators to generate the actual favicons.

I always liked the old RPGWatch binoculars icon - and at least the 32, 48, 64 pixel versions look good:

Attachments

• RPGWatch-16.png
    RPGWatch-16.png
    801 bytes · Views: 5
  • RPGWatch-ori.png
    RPGWatch-ori.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 8
  • RPGWatch-32.png
    RPGWatch-32.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 4
  • RPGWatch-48.png
    RPGWatch-48.png
    3 KB · Views: 4
  • RPGWatch_64.png
    RPGWatch_64.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
This binoculars icon was made by Omega when Omega created the RPGWatch Twitter account and after that tweeted about the important stuff, before it was handed to me. Our Twitter account still uses this icon.

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to make out what it's supposed to be if I hadn't seen the larger versions above:

1658336415515.png

I don't mind though, it's recognizable once we're used to it.

I bet it's fine on a 4K display. I'm just old-school with my FHD monitor ;)

I'm using Chrome on a 1920x1080 screen, but I get the same with Firefox.

I think it's just limited by the size of the tab at that resolution. I suppose there's a way to make the tabs higher but I'm using the default.

I'm pretty sure I'm on default too at 1920x1200. Your icon actually looks like the lower quality one (there are multiple versions in one file it can load). Compare with mine:

Capture.PNG

My icon is 16-pixel high, about the same as the text. It could be 32 and still fit in the tab, but it would be huge in comparison.

My display is set at 100% for the scale of apps & text; I know that on some laptops and some systems, it's preset at 125%. Maybe that's why you have bigger tabs - about 54 pixels instead of 38 for me. Or it's an option in the browser.

I'm happy with that, I prefer to leave as much space as possible for the actual content, even if that makes some icons smaller. :)

16x16 pixel leave not much room for enhancements - here's an alternative with only a W for Watch at the bottom.

Attachments

• RPGWatch-16-Alternative.png
    RPGWatch-16-Alternative.png
    369 bytes · Views: 4
My icon is 16-pixel high, about the same as the text. It could be 32 and still fit in the tab, but it would be huge in comparison.

My display is set at 100% for the scale of apps & text; I know that on some laptops and some systems, it's preset at 125%. Maybe that's why you have bigger tabs - about 54 pixels instead of 38 for me. Or it's an option in the browser.

I'm happy with that, I prefer to leave as much space as possible for the actual content, even if that makes some icons smaller. :)
Ah yes, I've got custom scaling set at 150%. I didn't think that scaling would affect the favicon display, though.

16x16 pixel leave not much room for enhancements - here's an alternative with only a W for Watch at the bottom.
I used the favicon generator that creates all the icons and packs them on the fly, so there's no option to insert a different 16x16 one into the default favicon.ico package. I would need a new large image to generate a change across all of them. Might be better to only have R and W in that case though; or maybe even just R. Looking at other favicons, it's usually just 1 or 2 characters max.

Last edited:
Hmmm..I should add this to the icons of the discord
Are there any others?

Steam group uses something that looks like the header here, so I'm thinking it's good as is.

Steam group uses something that looks like the header here, so I'm thinking it's good as is.
I made one last year based off the header but I will take a look at what HiddenX did and at that too if that's okay.

I always liked the old RPGWatch binoculars icon
Ah, ok... now I understand that icon. I didn't see the connection before.

Back
Top Bottom