RPGWatch Feature - ATOM RPG Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Forgottenlor had some time on his hands and decided to review ATOM RPG to find out if it was what he exepcted of it.

The digital age and crowd funding have supported a market for retro games and ATOM RPG is a perfect example. Anyone who has played the classic Fallout will feel very familiar with the game's UI, color pallet, overworld map, and the general gameplay including its combat, character system, and branching dialogues. For anyone who hasn't played Fallout, ATOM RPG is a post-apocalyptic isometric RPG. It features a well balanced mix of story based quests, which can often be solved without violence for those characters with the appropriate high skills or attributes; also, exploration in a big open world via world map, and turn based combat featuring an action point system. Unlike many other post-apocalyptic RPGs, ATOM RPG is set in the Soviet Union, and its tone is less grimdark, which isn't that hard since most post-apocalyptic games feature a world fallen into total savagery. Gameplaywise ATOM RPG doesn't do anything revolutionary, but in a retro game, that is exactly what the core audience wants. In this case, ATOM RPG offers fairly complex character mechanics, and a number of ways to build a character that will reveal itself as a failure at some point during the game. For those looking for a lengthy game with a balanced mix of combat, story, and exploration, Atom RPG has a lot to offer.
More information.

What can I say. An awsome and detailed enough review with a conclusion I have to agree.
Thanks f.

I still have to play this one to the end. Thanks forgottenlor!

I agree. This is a great game with lots to see and do. I think they are working on an expansion right now and I plan on revisiting it once that's all done.

This wasn't really on my list at all. Great review, I have added it to my play list as it sounds fun and challenging.

Played through the game twice by now.
Well worth the money and the time.

Great game! The combat is Fallout 1&2 and I wish it had a bit more depth than that. Or at least a cover system.

I have this and maybe played 2hrs....for whatever reason I just haven't played it much.

I have this and maybe played 2hrs….for whatever reason I just haven't played it much.

I think the first few hours are kind of like a tutorial. You have a real system tutorial and then a first area with fairly simple quests. I think the game becomes much more enjoyable when you get to start traveling around the world map.

I think the first few hours are kind of like a tutorial. You have a real system tutorial and then a first area with fairly simple quests. I think the game becomes much more enjoyable when you get to start traveling around the world map.

Yeah, I got to the first town, and did a bunch of quests there...so maybe a bit more then 2hrs...nope steam says 2 hrs....

Great game! The combat is Fallout 1&2 and I wish it had a bit more depth than that. Or at least a cover system.

I find that most games that spend more time developing a complex combat system fail in some other aspect, whether its depth of character development, story, exploration or what not. Atom RPG really is a complete rpg when you look at quest development, story, oexploration, character development. The game might not excel in one area, but it does bring a lot of content in all sorts of areas, which I find also to be pretty good. Also I think there is a fair variety in the combat. At times you fight hordes, other times small groups of tough opponenets, and some times one very difficult opponent. I've played plenty of rpgs with less entertaining combat.

I find that most games that spend more time developing a complex combat system fail in some other aspect, whether its depth of character development, story, exploration or what not. Atom RPG really is a complete rpg when you look at quest development, story, oexploration, character development. The game might not excel in one area, but it does bring a lot of content in all sorts of areas, which I find also to be pretty good. Also I think there is a fair variety in the combat. At times you fight hordes, other times small groups of tough opponenets, and some times one very difficult opponent. I've played plenty of rpgs with less entertaining combat.

Yes, there is truth in that. The RPG mechanics are great. The game would be even better if the combat mechanics were a bit deeper. As of now you just stand in the open and hope you don't get hit. The only advantage over your opponents comes from your choice of weapons and armor.

Thank you for another great review, Forgottenlor! Will surely play the game :)

Last edited:
A little bit off topic. Does anyone else recognize the Nikolai in the circus reference? If you played the game it refers to, you'll probably remember as it was a legendarily annoying quest. I remember running around the gameworld for hours before I finally figured out how to solve it.

Though attractive at first look on the videos, I found ATOM shallow, boring and having the usual horrible writing for Russian games. Also the screenshots on Steam have been doctored to have more contrast, because the game engine looks more bleached. :(( Refunded.

Though attractive at first look on the videos, I found ATOM shallow, boring and having the usual horrible writing for Russian games. Also the screenshots on Steam have been doctored to have more contrast, because the game engine looks more bleached. :(( Refunded.

Well I've barely played past the tutorial so can't comment much on the game itself, other than I worry it may be a bit boring, and certainly a samey color palette might get old. However I noted the comment that said the game gets more interesting past the first few hours.

Having said that, "usual horrible writing for Russian games"?
Call it what you will, but I loved the first Stalker game, yes it was more atmosphere than story but good story and authentic dialog nonetheless.

A little bit off topic. Does anyone else recognize the Nikolai in the circus reference? If you played the game it refers to, you'll probably remember as it was a legendarily annoying quest. I remember running around the gameworld for hours before I finally figured out how to solve it.

I assume that it refers to M&M 6 where the little prince runs off to the circus which moves around the map each season!! :)

I enjoyed this game a lot. For me it was "RPG of the Year" most definitely. Being a big (original) Fallout fan, this was like putting on a comfy pair of slippers.

The beginning is a bit tough. You have to push through it.

Back
Top Bottom