RPGWatch Feature - Din's Legacy Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Forgottenlor has checked out Soldak's Din's Legacy, which might be worth your time, but maybe not be a game for everyone.

On the surface, Din's Legacy appears to be a very similar game to the original Diablo or Fate hack and slay games. In both of those games you travel with a single character through a dungeon with random floor layouts, encounter a variety of random creatures, find all manner of random loot and deal with the occasional trap or other surprise. However, Din's Legacy has a few things which sets it apart from other ARPGs. First, you're playing through a sequence of short scenarios, most of which feature your hero in charge of defending and saving a town and second the game features dynamic monster factions which are not only trying to destroy your town (or other towns), but also fighting amongst themselves. Also, in Din's Legacy, you play a mutant and the game introduces a mutation system, which lets you multiclass your character to a certain degree and gives your character random advantages and disadvantages over the course of the game. Din's Legacy is in many ways different from genre leaders like Diablo 3, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn or Path of Exile and those differences are great enough that they may interest or turn off fans of those games.
More information.

Thanks for that in-depth review.
I was a bit on the fence about the game, not sure if it was different enough from their last game.

x20191016200056_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.WaiNdx5x4B.jpg

Lol. Pretty impressive for the work of just that one Peeler guy. Funny how two decades ago I'd've found these graphics quite serviceable but now it's a definite barrier to enjoyment for me.

Thanks for that in-depth review.
I was a bit on the fence about the game, not sure if it was different enough from their last game.

I haven't played Zombicite, so I can't say. I have played Din's Curse, though. The biggest differences in Din's Legacy for me were the mutation system (character building) and the variety of scenarios, and of course the graphics are better. I'd say there are a lot of similarities though. Its nowhere near as radically different than Drox Operative was when it came out.

Thanks for the review. I played earlier variants of this series a while ago. It was always fun but... clunky. Interesting take on this genre. But clunky.

At least, I have to say the graphic really seems to be an improvement. I'm tempted to add this to my backlog. ;)

I gave it a spin and, well.. wow, does this game drop you in the middle of everything.
That's quite crazy, really, I can't imagine anyone not being very familiar with the format enjoying their first hours here.

You are getting bombarded from the get-go with loads of help messages, event pop-ups, people and monsters running around, dozens of interactable town items, level-up messages, mutations, equipment …

The dev really should have spent some time on creating some entrance level/tutorial to ease the player into the experience (skippable, of course).
Depth is awesome, but don't use it to drown new players.

I didn't even knew this existed, seems like a try when it's on sale

Just checking this game out now..
always the best and most helpful reviews Forgottenlor!
Currently playing and highly enjoying Shadowrun: Hong Kong based on your review of a few years ago..

Back
Top Bottom