RPGWatch Feature - Dungeon of Naheulbeuk Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is a well known IP in France, but not so well known in the rest of the world. I had the game presented to me at gamescom to find out more and to write something about it.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is a parody on the likes of Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings and others. It features a band of travelers that are very inexperienced and have no names. They are only known by their class or race.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos is a new story in this series and is made in cooperation with the owner of the license. It is an RPG with turn-based combat and is fully voiced, which is good as there is a lot of banter between the party members, where they are bickering and disagreeing with each other most of the time. All the dialogues have the intention to be humorous, although I do think that some things were funnier than others. I didn't roll on the floor of laughter, but I did smile occasionally.
More information.

This is the last Gamescom article I have prepared.

You're doing the gods' work, Myrthos, as usual.

If the game is well done it might be fantastic but if it is badly done it will suck :)
-
Not really enough presented to tell one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
the IP and the game as well, are about not taking stuff, like this game and it’s characters, seriously. Whether or not that is well done, I can’t say yet. There are a number of things that can make people not like this game. If the humor isn’t spot on for you personal, I can imagine that the constant banter between the characters gets on your nerves.
That the characters are stereotypes, might also result in the characters not having much depth.
What I did not put in the article, because I didn’t notice it when watching the presentation, but noticed it when listening to the recording, is that the voice acting appears to be off for one or two characters. It sounded a bit too emotionless. That could be a disturbing factor for some, but it could also be just me.

I guess in France people will buy it just because it is a game in the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk universe. Outside of France I don’t think the IP alone is a reason to buy the game.

This is the last Gamescom article I have prepared.

The last? But you had more studios in your schedule, right? What about Mutant Year Zero, Pathfinder, CP 2077?

You must have missed the messages about that. I couldn’t get an appointment for Pathfinder as the right persons were not responding to me in any way and form. I screwed up my calendar somehow and swapped Thursday afternoon with Wednesday. The result was that I missed Mutant Year Zero and was unable to make a new appointment as they were full.
I have the Cyberpunk article ready, but there is no point. There is nothing new it adds beyond what the video and the voiceover in the video mentioned. It is basically the same information.

I guess in France people will buy it just because it is a game in the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk universe. Outside of France I don’t think the IP alone is a reason to buy the game.

Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk is pretty famous over here in french-speaking canada, too ;-)

Some cool stuff coming out of France recently like this and the Mutant Year Zero game.

edit: oops I misspoke. Mutant Year Zero is from Sweden. Dunno why I thought it was french, I guess it just had that vibe about it.

The best thing coming out of France this year is Call of Cthulhu

I could see confusing the Swiss with the French but ....

Still some interesting games.

Some cool stuff coming out of France recently like this and the Mutant Year Zero game.

edit: oops I misspoke. Mutant Year Zero is from Sweden. Dunno why I thought it was french, I guess it just had that vibe about it.

Looks good to me. Only thing I didn't like from the description is that you can't heal between fights. I have a healer, I probably have potions, why would a bleeding character not get patched up in between?

That actually looks somewhat interesting. A well executed parody can be excellent. A poorly executed one is.. not.

Back
Top Bottom