RPGWatch Feature - Knights of the Chalice II Review

After ragequitting the tutorial on normal difficulty, I wasn't sure if or how much of the main campaign I'd finish,
This was my experience as well. KOTC1 is one of my favourite RPGs of all time, and I backed KOTC2 on Kickstarter at the Hero level. Running into a brick wall on the tutorial after 10 or so attempts counts as my biggest gaming disappointment of the last several years. Maybe I should try again on easy, but fundamentally unbalanced and unfair encounters is not my idea of a fun game. ☹️

Great review Forgottenlor, I'll make a more full reply when I have more time.

Running into a brick wall on the tutorial after 10 or so attempts counts as my biggest gaming disappointment of the last several years. Maybe I should try again on easy, but fundamentally unbalanced and unfair encounters is not my idea of a fun game. ☹️
I didn't try the tutorial but I think if you just give the main game a try on normal with maximized ability scores for all your characters you should have a good time. Forget about min/maxing and just max/max! :) Pretty much the same thing but with a bonus to saving throws. Make your own 6 then you get another 2 companions. There's plenty of summon spells for even more.

I think "fundamentally unbalanced and unfair encounters" is a fundamentally unbalanced and unfair perspective. :p Consider, if an encounter was PERFECTLY balanced then you'd expect both sides would have a 50% chance of winning. That's about as fair as it gets. Flip a coin a few times and see what you're in for when the balance is perfect. Most of these encounters are finely tuned and just brilliant, really.

If you need any help with designing a good party I'm sure there are... At least a couple of us here who'd be happy to help!

@SirJames I've noticed over the years, that you are a fan of difficult games, so I'm not surprised that you like KOTC2, but I think its important to recognize that there are a large number of players who are used to playing D&D type games on normal difficulty, and KOTC2's normal is very difficult for that type of player. I would recommend to @Notorious to play on easy, if he gives the game another shot. Like me he may be surprised and be able to enjoy the main scenario on that difficulty level, which I still found very challenging.

Thank you for the review, I'll wait for a "story mode" :) (even if I finished the first one)

Max stats would certainly make the game a lot easier. I remember back in the GoldBox days you could "edit" your characters before starting the game and set all your stats to straight 18's and 18/00 strength for your fighters. Made the game a lot easier for a young boy that is for sure!

I didn't try the tutorial but I think if you just give the main game a try on normal with maximized ability scores for all your characters you should have a good time. Forget about min/maxing and just max/max! :) Pretty much the same thing but with a bonus to saving throws. Make your own 6 then you get another 2 companions. There's plenty of summon spells for even more.
Thing is, that's not fun for a lot of people. D&D fans like to roleplay. I don't want to have create a party with 18s across the board just to have a chance.

8cPuCnd.png

I think "very hard" looks the most like D&D "normal" with an extra ability score every 4 levels, no free healing after combat, etc, etc.

I think "very hard" looks the most like D&D "normal" with an extra ability score every 4 levels, no free healing after combat, etc, etc.
Yeah. There's nothing unfair about the rules in KOTC2, what really makes the game so hard is that enemy AI is completely insane. No D&D game, possibly no turn-based RPG in general, has ever implemented enemy AI this good. In particular, enemy spellcasters are free to use all the spells they have, do so fairly intelligently, and really just go to town on you if you actually allow them to get casts off.

On a related note, in the difficulty explanations you quoted, one of the items is "enemy Negative Levels" (turned on in easy and normal). What that means is that in certain encounters, some enemies have been configured to get a -2 (or whatnot) level penalty. It usually gets applied to enemy casters to knock one level of spells off their repertoire - which ends up being fairly huge.

Last edited:
Yeah. There's nothing unfair about the rules in KOTC2, what really makes the game so hard is that enemy AI is completely insane. No D&D game, possibly no turn-based RPG in general, has ever implemented enemy AI this good. In particular, enemy spellcasters are free to use all the spells they have, do so fairly intelligently, and really just go to town on you if you actually allow them to get casts off.

On a related note, in the difficulty explanations you quoted, one of the items is "enemy Negative Levels" (turned on in easy and normal). What that means is that in certain encounters, some enemies have been configured to get a -2 (or whatnot) level penalty. It usually gets applied to enemy casters to knock one level of spells off their repertoire - which ends up being fairly huge.
Its not the rules being unfair. You also make a good point about the A.I. in KOTC2. What makes things so difficult is that you are often facing a band of enemies with more than double your numbers (often more than triple) and equivalent level. I would never give that kind of encounter to my players when DMing my tabletop Pathfinder campaign. The chance is too high that even fudging numbers, I couldn't keep the party alive and my players would be understandably upset. The fact that you have situations like these in other computer D&D games is made up for by the fact that the enemy A.I. is so stupid. If you have good A.I. then you need to tone down the amount of enemies you throw at a party, unless you have a party of expert tacticians who know how to work the rules.

KotC 2 reminds me of how we played D&D when we were 12. Kill your friend's characters because it was funny and the old rules were so unforgiving. Miss a saving throw for poison and your character is dead. That gets old pretty fast.

Last edited:
Miss a saving throw for poison and your character is dead. That gets old pretty fast.
I remember that! Had me terrified of clerics. Then when I could finally learn Slay Living I thought I got the most overpowered spell ever but the enemies always seemed to make the saving throws. :)

Back
Top Bottom