RPGWatch Feature - Spellforce 3 Gamescom Early Look

They are both great games. You can usually pick them all up at the usual sites for a pittance. Not perfect games but what is?

There were three series that i loved at Jowood. All were poorly managed, but all provided some great entertainment: Gothic (i exclude Arcania games and the G3 expansion here), The Guild (though The Guild 2 series never got the proper patching that it deserves, still enjoyable) and Spellforce.

The Spellforce universe was unexpectedly rich in lore, especially for a RTS/RPG mix. I know only one other series that is close in terms of gameplay (the Warlords RTS/RPG), but that definitely lacks the charm and the storytelling of Spellforce. The ability to import the characters through the expansions was a very nice touch and i liked a lot in the SF1 the concept of using runes. I usually recommend the games to anyone that wants a decent RTS or an RPG with RTS elements.(SF1 or SF2, depends on the person)

Spellforce series development was always troubled, just like The Guild or Gothic series. If Phenomic developed the SF1 and SF2:Shadow Wars/Dragon Storm, while Faith in Destiny expansion was developed by Trine Games (the indian company that did a horrendous job on the G3 expansion and on the The Guild 2: Venice expansion) and was finished by Mind Over Matter Studios (a studio that has some former Phenomic devs). The final SF2 expansion (Demons of the Past) was developed by Mind Over Matter Studios and you can tell that the expansion was made by someone that had some idea about how the things should work. Not sure what happened with the devs after those two expansions.

SF2 > SF1 by a fair margin if you like roleplaying elements. Also, the way enemies spawned in SF1 annoyed me greatly, as it led to some strange "rush" tactics with XP farming afterwards.

The original SF is more of a RTS with some RPG elements. The second SF2 is the right mix of RPG and RTS. The original requires more planning, while the second part of the series is more centered on the hero units. Something like Warlords Battlecry did way before SF. If you want, in a sense, SF is Warlords Battlecry formula refined.

Well a little late but thanks for the new preview Myrthos. I was starting to think this game would never be released, an looks like it's getting an engine update.

Now as for me I enjoyed the first Spellforce better, and that's only because the sequels RTS elements were simplified. Hopefully the next game finds a good balance.

Back
Top Bottom