RPGWatch Feature: Two Worlds Reviewed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
If you were to simply read the feature list, Reality Pump's Two Worlds looks the perfect game for those who love free roaming action/RPGs, but the response from players and especially critics has been decidedly mixed. So, how do we see it?
Where the game shines brightest is in the overwhelming number of diverse and sometimes inter-related side quests, which are kept track of by a very well set out journal. One of the things I liked about the game is that it doesn't take itself too seriously and if you pay attention, you'll notice lots of tongue-in-cheek humour. This is frequently in evidence from the comments made by your PC when every person you talk to during a quest wants you to do something for them before they will help you out. You'll find all the standard conventions being used, but it's all part of the fun. Many of these side quests are far better constructed and offer more choices than the main one, and I could have easily played the game for another 20 hours before completing them all.
Read it here.
More information.

Great reviews. I have been having a lot of fun with it, but have to agree with the list of flaws it has. I think the size of the world keeps me going more then the story line. I love riding my horse as well. I do get tired of meeting up with the same opponents over and over. But the xp makes me kill them all the same. There is just something about it that once I start I keep playing as long as I can.

I agree with the consensus. The game is flawed, but I found myself playing it for over 60 hours before I got tired of it. The main quest is the weakest link IMHO.

From the end of the review:
It is not an easy recommendation - unless you were able to enjoy Dungeon Lords despite the flaws I would recommend caution and waiting for a bargain price.

I'm one of the ones who absolutely loved Dungeon Lords. I waited for the "collector's" edition (don't worry I know it's not really a collector's edition in the traditional sense of the word). I know I'm a serious minority on this, but I thought that was a really good game... great, no... but really good.

I love Two Worlds even more. I don't really find that many flaws with it. It's just darn fun. :)

I do agree that most of the side quests are more interesting than the main quest, but so what... I'm having a blast. I also have no problems with horses... as a matter of fact I probably won't get the next update since it sounds like it's going to drastically change how horses work.

Anyway... good review Corwin.

Oh, and by the way... thanks for not telling us how terrible the game is compared to the Big O... it was nice finally reading a review that rated the game on it's own merits!

Really great review. You guys don't release reviews that often, but when you do they're always top-notch!

Indeed, that was an excellent review, and the followup comments from Mike and Dhruin definitely added to the read. Thanks much!

From the end of the review:
I'm one of the ones who absolutely loved Dungeon Lords.
That was actually from me - I readily admit to enjoying DL more than logic would suggest.

That was actually from me - I readily admit to enjoying DL more than logic would suggest.

oops... I think I got confused as I was reading... sorry for quoting the wrong person there...

Anyway it's good to know there's at least one other nut out there who enjoyed DL ;)

oops... I think I got confused as I was reading... sorry for quoting the wrong person there...

Anyway it's good to know there's at least one other nut out there who enjoyed DL ;)
Not a problem - I just didn't want to stick anyone else with my DL enjoyment :D

Now, where's my nutcracker!! :biggrin: Thanks for the kind words folks!!

Yes, good work Corwin and follow ups, Dhruin and txa1265. :)

So, multiplayer doesn't seem to get talked about, is it just bad netcode or is it some how different than the single player game?

I plan to get this because it's multiplayer Coop and I have to support Coop games, but the demo was enough to keep me away till it was patched up.

I keep hearing about the 1.6 release soon, which would be great, I would have something till they get The Witcher patched enough for me to play, maybe I should just get started on 1.5. :)

Ahh, too bad that leaves only DL with full Coop campaign.

Cool, very informative.

I think Corwin plans to try the MP aspects of the game when he gets the chance. That will finish off a the complete info we always get here.

Looking forward to starting on Two Worlds as soon as I'm done with my current playthrough of Gothic 3, that is if I don't do The Witcher first.

Nice review, but I personally miss the remark about the Patch 1.5 - and whether the game was tested with or without the latest Patch.

Which means hat the experince might be different from the unpatched version - so if someone buys the unpatched game, he or she might be wondering if this was the same game ?

I believe that Corwin's version - like mine - was the release with 1.5 integrated into it.

I believe so.

But if someone reads this review and a buying decision is based on that ...
You know, there are still editions without that patch integrated out there ...

(I'm a bit picky right now ...)

Back
Top Bottom