RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2018

Shallow?! :rotfl:

I don't play it for the shiny bait. I already have everything. I play it for the depth of the combat. I use all 14 weapon types. If you're getting bored then you're probably the repetitive one sticking to a single weapon and build.
That's the problem if the the feature that is given an assessement isn't properly stated.

You are refering to combat which appears to be deep. (I don't know the game so I can't judge.)
@Andrew23; most likely was talking about another feature like story and/or quest design.
So... you both could be right.
If a game is worth playing just depends on if the features that are important to a gamer are well done.

It is a sort of light-hearted story. They're more worried about having fun than creating a believable world.

For example, having Geralt from the Witcher games appear through a magic portal breaks canon but it's sure to be fun and entertaining.

Having a MHW character appear in Witcher 3 would never happen because they take things more seriously and it might break immersion.

It did take me a while to "get" the combat in MHW. It has a very unique feeling to the movement and weapon swings which can seem sort of clunky at first but then you realise it's just something you haven't played before and requires that you learn the system. In most games you can just jump in and instantly use your expertise from another game to play well, but MHW has an all new learning curve. I thought it would be a lot like Dark Souls but it's far more complex and, if anything, Dark Souls has only taught me to roll into weapon swings using invincibility frames rather than to quickly move out of the way like you need to do in MHW.

That's the problem if the the feature that is given an assessement isn't properly stated.

You are refering to combat which appears to be deep. (I don't know the game so I can't judge.)
@Andrew23; most likely was talking about another feature like story and/or quest design.
So… you both could be right.
If a game is worth playing just depends on if the features that are important to a gamer are well done.

Ofcourse, combat is the strong point. But not just that, I would say that monster design is great and also level design is very fine. I enjoyed it, apparently, as its in my top 3 games in 2018 based only on time played according to Steam. But I consider it more of a guilty pleasure.

There are numerous options with regard to weapon sets and equipment. And each weapon set is different and plays in different way. So far so good. But. Looking on each weapon set alone, as soon as you get familiar with those few special attacks and mechanics each set has, you are there. Thats the end, its not evolving anyehere from that point. All you can do is upgrade the weapons or armor, making them more efficient. No more no less. Also the game itself is guiding you to use most efficient weapon as many hunts have to be finished in certain time limit. And making the weapons more efficient means upgrading it. And collecting upgrade materials, that is grind in its purest form. Ring closes, rinse and repeat. And when you finally get that upgrade you worked for, new one pops-up in front of you. Suppose its subjective, but for me that is not enough to call it deep experience.

It is a sort of light-hearted story. They're more worried about having fun than creating a believable world.

For example, having Geralt from the Witcher games appear through a magic portal breaks canon but it's sure to be fun and entertaining.

Having a MHW character appear in Witcher 3 would never happen because they take things more seriously and it might break immersion.

It did take me a while to "get" the combat in MHW. It has a very unique feeling to the movement and weapon swings which can seem sort of clunky at first but then you realise it's just something you haven't played before and requires that you learn the system. In most games you can just jump in and instantly use your expertise from another game to play well, but MHW has an all new learning curve. I thought it would be a lot like Dark Souls but it's far more complex and, if anything, Dark Souls has only taught me to roll into weapon swings using invincibility frames rather than to quickly move out of the way like you need to do in MHW.

I agree with you actually. Combat is probably satisfactory enough to keep me going while there is at least some story development and while I can look forward to next magnificent monster. Comparison with Dark Souls is not bad, but for me personally, DS was story wise and "secret-behind-next-corner" wise much more intriguing to me. So after the main plot was done, my interest in MH deteriorated pretty quickly.

"Fun" is thrown around quite a lot here when it comes to reasons why certain features are simple instead of complex.

Your statement doesn't make sense for gamers who have fun in believable worlds only.

I agree with you actually. Combat is probably satisfactory enough to keep me going while there is at least some story development and while I can look forward to next magnificent monster. Comparison with Dark Souls is not bad, but for me personally, DS was story wise and "secret-behind-next-corner" wise much more intriguing to me. So after the main plot was done, my interest in MH deteriorated pretty quickly.
The real game doesn't start until after the main plot is over!

I do know what you mean, though. After I finished the campaign I remember wondering what to do next and felt a bit burned out, played some other games, but then I came back and found that I really missed it and it was good to be back.

I had missed a few events in my break and I'm glad they're all coming back for the anniversary in 2 days so I can get my Devil May Cry jacket and stuff. :)

"Fun" is thrown around quite a lot here when it comes to reasons why certain features are simple instead of complex.

Your statement doesn't make sense for gamers who have fun in believable worlds only.
Semantics! You know what I mean! The crossovers from other game series, like Final Fantasy, are "fun" events rather than "serious" events. Even if you don't personally find them enjoyable. Fun in spirit. What's a better word than fun to describe it? I don't recall any other games doing crossovers like this.

The voting is over. Somewhere next week you'll see the results.

So now we start guessing the outcome? Kind of tough, there are several games with vocal fans on this forum, but the people who post regularly might not be representative of the majority. But my money is on:
1. Pathfinder Kingmaker
2. Pillars of Eternity 2
3. Kingdom Come

Anyone want to bet against me? ;)

Last edited:
So now we start guessing the outcome? Kind of tough, there are several games with vocal fans on this forum, but the people who post regularly might not be representative of the majority. But my money is on:
1. Pathfinder Kingmaker
2. Pillars of Eternity 2
3. Kingdom Come

Guess the same games, but different order. Kingmaker further down, maybe even Kingdom higher.

1. Pathfinder Kingmaker
2. Pillars of Eternity 2
3. Kingdom Come

Sounds about right.

Of course, Kingdom Come deserves to be number one between the three.

Sounds about right.

Of course, Kingdom Come deserves to be number one between the three.

I wouldn't know since I haven't played it, and I wasn't planning to either before it came up on the top of so many Watchers GOTY list. To me the setting seems boring, and I prefer isometric or 1st person view, 3rd person to me is the bastard middle ground that doesn't make sense. Of course I do realize that 3rd person is probably the best for more in depth melee combat, but that has never been at the top of my wish list either.

I do think I have to try KC though, I have a hard time believing such a large part of the Watch could be wrong.

I wouldn't know since I haven't played it, and I wasn't planning to either before it came up on the top of so many Watchers GOTY list. To me the setting seems boring, and I prefer isometric or 1st person view, 3rd person to me is the bastard middle ground that doesn't make sense. Of course I do realize that 3rd person is probably the best for more in depth melee combat, but that has never been at the top of my wish list either.

I do think I have to try KC though, I have a hard time believing such a large part of the Watch could be wrong.

Ehm, it's 100% first person from start to finish ;)

I'm wrong every single day. However, when it comes to KCD and how good it is - I'm extremely correct.

Ehm, it's 100% first person from start to finish ;)

I'm wrong every single day. However, when it comes to KCD and how good it is - I'm extremely correct.

Huh, shame on me for not getting my facts straight before disregarding a game. And no, you're not often wrong as far as I can tell. Not that I always agree with you, but you can only be "wrong" in regards to facts, and you tend to stick to those as far as I know.

So of you say It's a fact KC is a great game I guess I'll have to believe you. That you and Joxer are actually agreeing about it kind of scares me though. ;)

Huh, shame on me for not getting my facts straight before disregarding a game. And no, you're not often wrong as far as I can tell. Not that I always agree with you, but you can only be "wrong" in regards to facts, and you tend to stick to those as far as I know.

Oh, believe me, I'm very, very wrong EVERY single day. That said, because I know I'm wrong - I tend to keep my vocal claims relatively measured ;)

So of you say It's a fact KC is a great game I guess I'll have to believe you. That you and Joxer are actually agreeing about it kind of scares me though. ;)

Obviously, it's all subjective - but I really think KCD is something special.

But you're quite right. When Joxer and I are in agreement, there's cause for concern ;)

Back
Top Bottom