RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2022: Most Promising RPG - Visitors Vote

The top two are games I'm looking forward to. The third, I wasn't having that much fun with the pathfinder games: too long and very uneven in storytelling quality, so I'm taking a definitive wait and see on that one. I should try to get back to WotR, but it just got too boring to me after 30-40 h something.

Regarding Harry Potter being low, I'd guess a lot of the people who visit this site has a high enough age that they aren't such huge fans. I'm guessing most people above 40 haven't read the books unless it's for their kids.

Personally, when the first book came out, I wasn't reading kids books anymore, even though I was only 13, and the first book was aimed at kids. And the films, while entertaining, were also aimed at children and teenagers. For me it is just one successful and competent franchise among others.

Based on what I can gather and remember, BG III sold three million in Early Access probably more since then. What matters is how many will buy it after it releases.

As for Bethesda RPGs I can't recall a single RPG that sold as much as each of their games, except for Elden Ring. It helps they release new versions and have mod support.

Now a for BG III it was mentioned the game might get mod tools but not before it launches. So in reality it might never happen like it did with the Original Sin games.
If BG3 gets good mod tools, the mod scene might get absolutely gigantic. The only thing I can see against it is WotC and Larian not being able to monetize DLC as well if there's a large amount of good quality mods; so maybe they won't allow it?

Looks like a good set of results. I am quite surprised SKALD placed so highly!

If BG3 gets good mod tools, the mod scene might get absolutely gigantic. The only thing I can see against it is WotC and Larian not being able to monetize DLC as well if there's a large amount of good quality mods; so maybe they won't allow it?
I don't see that as a concern in this situation. It's rare that mods have the same quality as DLCs, and when they reach the same quality level it's usually long after the DLCs have stopped coming. Besides, given the quality of Larian's work I doubt that players would pass up the opportunity of getting more official content if they like the game.

I'm talking about DLC that extends the story, not small DLCs adding a class or other items that small indies make because they have limited resources.

Based on what I can gather and remember, BG III sold three million in Early Access probably more since then. What matters is how many will buy it after it releases.

As for Bethesda RPGs I can't recall a single RPG that sold as much as each of their games, except for Elden Ring. It helps they release new versions and have mod support.

Now a for BG III it was mentioned the game might get mod tools but not before it launches. So in reality it might never happen like it did with the Original Sin games.
You can mod BG3 now and it is integrated into Vortex, the Nexus mod manager, which makes modding a lot easier for the user. Now for mod authors I suspect it is a lot more difficult then a Beth game. Perhaps not as difficult as C2077 ... but that's guess work since I mod both games but have never made a mod for either - outside of my skill set by a large degree. One nice thing about Beth is even a couch jockey can learn to make basic mods and there is a lot of support.

For all the hate against the engine the fact that they have kept it fairly consistent has meant a very rich modding scene with lots of support, tutorials, and the like. I will be curious how modding is for Starfield and ES6.

BG3 does have a couple of nice mods but like C2077 it seems more complex to do outfits, hair, character stuff ... although modders are finding a way. There are currently 301 mods for BG3 with 2.2 million downloads and that is in EA which is more painful due to patches. I wonder if they will release some tool to make it easier, like CDP did with RedMOD (although not sure how much easier that made thing - right now it causes confusion from mods pre/post RedMOD). I don't know enough about how mods are made for either C2077 or BG3.

Anyhow point being there seems some decent interest in modding BG3.

I called it in the vote BG3 wins for the 3rd year in a row, with any luck it might actually be released in 23, I will definitely get it when it actually comes out in full release. I'm definitely looking forward to Stalker 2 and atomic heart, definitely no shortage of potential releases this year.

Mods will be mostly different outfits for characters, stuff like that. Nothing that would interfere with the substantial content Larian themselves might produce.

Anyhow point being there seems some decent interest in modding BG3.
Well in my defense Wolf I never said there are no mods just no official mod tools. See when I think of mods for games like this I'm reminded of Neverwinter Nights 1and 2.

The reason I play both of those games a decade later is the campaign modules.

I just used the next number.
It's of course no biggie, but that doesn't make sense.
If (as a minimal example) you have two things being on a joint 1st place, then the following thing is at 3rd place, because 2 things are before it. This is also the default for sports events.

It's just a ranking number to sort stuff - as a data scientist / database developer I use this kind of ranking on a daily basis. I could have used a,b,b,c,c,c,d ... instead.

Last edited:
Both system are perfectly fine. One means it's the "third" best game. The other means the game has the third rank, with many games able to share the same rank.

It's similar but not exactly the same, and both works.

bi-pop... delete

Both system are perfectly fine. One means it's the "third" best game. The other means the game has the third rank, with many games able to share the same rank.

It's similar but not exactly the same, and both works.
Eh, kind of a weird position to take. The whole point here is to rank the games in order of how many votes they got. If two games tied for 1st place then the next game in line would be called 3rd place, not 2nd place. Pretty sure that's how it even works here at RPGWatch. I think I understand HiddenX's stance, he never intended the number in the tables he posted to be the game's rank, it's just a sort key for him and a piece of data to show the viewer which games tied, I suppose. But you're taking it a step further and saying both systems are equally fine? No, not really, one is accurate about a game's position in the voting ranks, and one isn't ;)

Well the key peice of info is to remember none will never be a winner. It would be useless to call any number none in a top list, but if we did two games would rank lower.

Maybe the "None" option needs to be renamed, to make it clear that an active statement is being made, as opposed to just refraining from voting. Something like, "Actually all these games suck a fat one"? And then give it its rightfully-earned rank.

Could actually keep "None" around as well, in case people just want to vote for 1 or 2 games and skip the rest.

Yeah logic says that would be the proper route to go, but again in top lists that will never happen. Sure we could do our own poll on a personal forum thread to get that result.

Anyway the Codex already calls our tastes and picks shit. :LOL:

Elden Ring and ELEX 2 are gonna be the top 2 picks on Codex, just like here.

Could be but they are mocking Elex 2 and Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness.

The term :poop: tastes on RPGWatch is being used a lot.

In sport, you have another type of information: you see who comes first, second and 3rd.

Here people vote, so everyone gives points to the nominees. It makes sense not to ignore those points. You can see that as adding 1st-position scores to 2nd-position scores and so on.

Could be but they are mocking Elex 2 and Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness.

The term :poop: tastes on RPGWatch is being used a lot.
I thought they love Black Geyser

Back
Top Bottom