RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Eternity: The Last Unicorn Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The third game I saw at the 1C booth was Eternity: The Last Unicorn, which is an action-RPG coming from Brazil, but I found the RPG elements to be a bit thin.

Eternity: The Last Unicorn is labeled as an action RPG, based on Norse Mythology. It has two playable characters. The first is a female elf, who is the fastest of the two, using a sword and a bow. The other is a male viking warrior, who is strong, but slower and likes to use a sword and a shield or a two-handed sword. Both characters are needed in order to play the game from a certain point onwards. There are parts where you need to play with viking or the elf, but for the rest of the game you can choose who to play with.
More information.

Here is the third game in the 1C booth, I saw at Gamescom

Screenshots do look nice, but checkpoints killed any chance for me to buy it.

Interesting. You mentioned that it was somewhat linear. Do we know if this is mainly the demo area and the rest opens up, or is the whole game like that?

I can live with checkpoints but the rest sound pretty yucky. Specifically 'must stay on path' and when you level up you don't get to develop your character.

Looks a bit like a 3d Golden Axe.

Interesting. You mentioned that it was somewhat linear. Do we know if this is mainly the demo area and the rest opens up, or is the whole game like that?
As far as I understood it, the whole game is quite linear.

I can live with checkpoints but the rest sound pretty yucky. Specifically 'must stay on path' and when you level up you don't get to develop your character.
The only development you have is trough skills of you and your weapon. I sent the devs a mail for more clarification on that topic, but did not receive an answer.

I generally don't mind if a game is somewhat linear, but this is sounding pretty heavy to me. The RPG element being thin also sounds like a cautionary tale to me, so I'm likely to listen to it.

I don't mind the fact the game is linear as long as it manages to tell a good story in the process and that there is room for variety of gameplay (customisation) within the linear narrative. What does worry me is the inconsistent quality of the animation in the trailer. Some of the animation looks fine but some look really floaty, as if the characters are sliding. I hope this aspect improves before release.

I don't mind the fact the game is linear as long as it manages to tell a good story in the process

I agree insofar that Adventure Games (Monkey Island etc.) are often linear as well, but some are famous for telling good stories. That Intro of Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis alone ...

Back
Top Bottom