RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Spellforce 3

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Next up in our series of Gamescom articles is the soon to be released prequel to the Spellforce series, Spellforce 3.

Spellforce 3 is, like its predecessors, a mix of RTS and RPG. It is also a prequel to Spellforce 1 and takes place 500 years earlier, which means the world is not shattered yet. The story in Spellforce 3 will reveal what the reasons were for that to happen. However, knowing the previous parts is not a requirement for understanding what happens in Spellforce 3 better. If you have played the previous games, you will get to visit some known places and have a chance to see what the word looked like some 500 years earlier.

The game is divided in sectors and you can move from sector to sector by unlocking the current sector. After that you can travel to any of the connected areas from where you are now. The game will not limit you in any way with respect to what area you will visit next. Also the game will not scale opponents to your level. So you could end up in an area with way to powerful opponents.
More information.

Here is the third Gamescom article.

Thanks! This looks interesting. I'm not a fan of RTS (any more) but if there's a significant RPG part I might give it a try.

Thanks for this. Doesn't sound too bad.

Thanks again for the article. I liked Spell Force 2 enough to finish, but not enough to buy any add-ons, dlcs, or spin-offs. It reminded me of a mixture of Warcraft 2 and Dungeon Siege, and it sounds like this game stay true to that mixture from your article. Is that your impression as well?

I didn't get to play the game, so I don't know how it played. I grew tired of Spellforce 2, so never finished it. I don't know if Spellforce 3 is better in that aspect, but I do get the impression that the RPG part has been improved over Spellforce 2 and the RTS part is for the large part the same. Then again, perhaps that was due to the focus on the RPG side of things.

I loved Spellforce 2, and it sounds like it's borrowing heavily from that game, such as the skills instead of classes, Sevenkeeps (big city) and Westguard (your own city, where new factions, NPCs etc end up staying after joining). What do we know about the developers, by the way? From what I recall, the first SF2 expansion was great, but after that the quality dropped significantly, so I hope it's a different studio..

Spellforce 3 is made by Grimlor Games. It looks like they are founded by THQ Nordic specifically for this game.

Fair enough.

I see that they're based on some German studio called "Coreplay" according to their website: http://grimloregames.com/company/

Can't seem to find a whole lot more than that though, so it's hard to tell if they're good or not. Guess time will tell.

I don't play RTS games typically, but I finished Spellforce 1. I got bored in Spellforce 2 and never tried any of the add-ons. I'll keep track of this at least.

Back
Top Bottom