RPGWatch - Official Game of the Decade Voting

@purpleblob; , I summon you to assist your fellow pathfinder voter drithius in coming to his senses. He is currently on a plane too distant for many here to reach and perhaps your femanine charms can access places us dumb blokes struggle with. While the solitary vote for Minecraft will undoubtedly not be missed I feel sure you're the person to call upon should any major votes for pathfinder be in danger of vanishing.

Unless we add in MMO games, Skyrim also sold more copies than most of the rest of the titles…combined. I confess to being impressed by capitalism though.
Skyrim and Diablo 3 have both sold the same number of copies, 30M.

Think about how absolutely, gut-bustingly hilarious it would be if someone argued with a straight face that Diablo 3 is the best RPG of all time. Because it sold the most copies!

And now you know how the rest of us feel when it gets said about Skyrim, using the same reasoning.

What a bummer as I would never call Diablo 3 the best RPG/ Game of the Decade.:p

More importantly : let's go back to the "decade" debate, please. :)

In fact, I hereby suggest that we do weekly "game of the decade" votes. Each considering the 10 years previous to that week.

Think about how absolutely, gut-bustingly hilarious it would be if someone argued with a straight face that Diablo 3 is the best RPG of all time.

*puts on straight face*

So …

*cough*

The best ...

*cough*

Nope. Can't do it.

What a bummer as I would never call Diablo 3 the best RPG/ Game of the Decade.:p
Diablo 3 might actually be the Worst RPG of the Decade, at least among games of a similar budget level. Although I'm ashamed to admit: I actually got more enjoyment out of it than Skyrim. Skyrim isn't going to beat out D3 for Worst, but as someone said earlier, it's definitely taking home the Most Overrated RPG of the Decade award.

Yeah well the only reason I love Bethesda games is mods.

Without them I don't think I would enjoy them as much.:(

I'd say overall, real world "value" would have to include what players have provided, but when critiquing a game I think you only consider what the developer provided. So for example, when voting for RPG of the Decade, personally I'd consider it inappropriate to take 3rd party mods into account. Unity is not the RPG of the Decade because someone created Kingmaker inside of it.

The developer provided a really good modding system that is known, fairly easy to use (well relatively), and so this also needs to be taken into consideration - that mod support. Without this great game to begin with there wouldn't be a single mod. Something so many forget. The overall foundation is great, mods are what add all the fun decorations and accessories.

Sure, I wouldn't have a problem taking the existence of a mod system into account. But not the mods themselves.

Yeah, I'd also not add additional value for really good mods. Unless you are voting for a total conversion like enderal. That vote then goes to Enderal though and not to the original game itself.

Another question would be if you are to vote for a game at it's release state or a patched state. ^^
Or...if a game was fixed afterwards...does it get a reduction for being released in a horrible state?

Another question would be if you are to vote for a game at it's release state or a patched state. ^^
Or…if a game was fixed afterwards…does it get a reduction for being released in a horrible state?

To me the games current state would be what counts in this kind of poll. Most polished at release is another category.

For me it would be the state of the game I played.

Since the main point of this kind of exercise, in my opinion, is to point people to games they haven't played, it would be the state they will be able to play the game.

I stand corrected. That's what I should've said. Unless I replay a game no bug fixing will matter if it's done after I'm done. I will however adjust my opinion accordingly if I replay at a later date. WL2, PoE and DOS comes to mind. I think no less of any of those games because how they were released, because all of them were a lot better the second time through and I base my opinion solely on that.

I WILL think less of the developer for not releasing a finished product though, but that's another discussion.

Yup,

I have played through a lot of plain vanilla games and loved them to death and then when it gets all fixed and patched up, folks fall in love like I did.

See: Gothic 3, Skyrim, Shadow Run.

I'm like one of the Property Brothers where I can walk in to a wreck and see the beauty that layeth before. It sucks that you guys don't have the vision that I have . . .

I'm like one of the Property Brothers where I can walk in to a wreck and see the beauty that layeth before. It sucks that you guys don't have the vision that I have . . .

But then I would need (rose tinted?) glasses as well! ;)

Didn't love Skyrim, but in no way because of bugs which I actually saw very few of. And I love Arcanum, that has to be worth something?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom