RPGWatch - Official Game of the Decade Voting

Any way we want?? Let's see, pi votes for Skyrim, the square root of negative pi votes for South Park: Stick of Truth, and the largest prime number votes for Witcher 3!

Nah - I was a good boy and just voted for Witcher 3.

It's on my wishlist gorram it! Why did it have to release so close to the cut-off date? (Dec 2018) ;)

Kensi has been on my wishlist since 2013, but I don't do early release, and just did not pay attention when it finally got released. Glad to hear it is the good game I thought it would be.

I hereby vote for Super Mario Bros (1985).

Super Who? Ah..these guys…well…
giana_sisters_c64.png

You guys will have to explain to me how Xcom is an RPG.

Old timey debate, perhaps a decade old. At the time I voted for NOLF (no one lives forever). but it was mostly about Xcom. It wasn't to far after that discussion a number of threads followed about what constitutes a "real" RPG. A lot of good info about stats, progression, and what not but ya know . . . . some games are so good you actually feel like your in the game. You actually feel like you are playing a part in the world. You actually feel like you are in the role of the protagonist . . . you know . . . role playing . . .

However, you don't have to worry about Xcom. It will never beat out Skyrim :biggrin:

I thought about this for a while, because I often don't play games before they are already out for 4 - 5 years, which has the side effect that I still have to play a lot of the good games that came out in the past decade.

Finally I decided not to make a long list or top 10, but to make a short list with games that I found truly exceptional and have already played. All these games were played in their final edition, including all dlc’s, etc.

Mass Effect 2
The Witcher 3
XCOM 2

Special mention, because of my respect for Larian, but not included in the list because I've finally started to admit to myself that I liked their earlier games better: Divinity: Original Sin I & II

Kensi has been on my wishlist since 2013, but I don't do early release, and just did not pay attention when it finally got released. Glad to hear it is the good game I thought it would be.
I never had a better time with a videogame.
Being hungry, being enslaved, escaping slavery, losing all your limbs, crawling in the desert… Then rising again as a cyber ninja slaver hunter (with a full belly)!

You start at the bottom and later you can become a king, but unlike in every other RPG, YOU are the one that make it happen, by working hard.
And if you make a mistake, you can lose everything.

It's awesome!:)

Xcom is in the RPGWatch database together with some other games that are debatable as being an RPG. For me it is simple, if it is covered here then I can include it in my top lists. And I play it for a lot of the same reasons and feels that an RPG gives me :)

RPGWatch logic. You wont ever get a good reason.:smartass:

Believe me I tired before. At best it has RPG elements.

A game is RPG when we, RPG audience, say so. Call it logic, protest or something else, doesn't matter.

But why is XCom called out? Even if we sit down, discuss and agree or disagree on it's genre, perhaps we also decide it won't enter top of the decade list of RPGs - it's still a good game.

Instead of wasting energy on good games, why don't we discuss shills, turds and false advertising like today's PR bullshit:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-division-2/rpg-overhaul
The Division 2 gets an “RPG overhaul”

“What we mean by ‘RPG overhaul’ is making that depth more accessible to the player,” world producer Lionel Le Dain tells us. “We don’t want players spending their time outside of the game creating spreadsheets, we want players to stay in the game and for this depth to be accessible.”

At the same time, an additional info about this "RPG":
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-division-2/battle-pass
The Division 2 gets battle passes, and will keep its loot boxes

Are you saying I can "nominate" also Hentai VNs? O_O
I mean… Dozens of those are IMO mustplays of the decade. :evilgrin:

Are you saying I can "nominate" also Hentai VNs? O_O
I mean… Dozens of those are IMO mustplays of the decade. :evilgrin:
Oh my then I will have to redo my list.:embarrassed:

Anyway this an RPG site so ergo the top ten should be RPGs.:cool:
Now that we have closed our Game of the Year awards, it is time for the very first Game of the Decade and obviously we mean RPGish Game of the Decade.

So you'd like me to believe that all of the participants who have posted their list are open to listing any type of game but just happen to think only RPGs constitute their top 10 or 20 or whatever. Okay.

There simply is no rule that your games have to be RPGs. Implicitly, they should be. But they don't have to be. And that's a good thing. Otherwise we'd get bogged down in "is it an RPG?" discussions.

Old timey debate, perhaps a decade old. At the time I voted for NOLF (no one lives forever). but it was mostly about Xcom. It wasn't to far after that discussion a number of threads followed about what constitutes a "real" RPG. A lot of good info about stats, progression, and what not but ya know . . . . some games are so good you actually feel like your in the game. You actually feel like you are playing a part in the world. You actually feel like you are in the role of the protagonist . . . you know . . . role playing . . .

However, you don't have to worry about Xcom. It will never beat out Skyrim :biggrin:

I'm actually not very pedantic at all about defining what an RPG is, but I find it bewildering/hilarious to see where those lines get drawn. Dozens of posts on this site about how Disco Elysium is a text adventure and not an RPG, but Xcom somehow passes muster. And the reasons given here so far are stats (Disco Elysium has them), progression (ditto), how it makes one "feel" (subjective as all hell), being good (uh, okay) and making it "feel like you are in the role of a protagonist" (something that could be said of literally thousands of games, including Disco Elysium.)

Mostly I just wish there was more agreement so I could know how to vote. I can easily list 10+ favorite RPGs of the decade (that everyone here would agree are RPGs) and leave it at that, but if I list my favorite games of the decade, it would be an entirely different list. And yeah, I get it, there's no rule that I have to limit myself to RPGs. But with everyone else doing 99.9% exactly that, if I don't then I'm not really participating because the non-RPGs I list will all languish at the bottom of the list.

Well it is Game of the Decade not RPG of the Decade.

I've noticed a number of late posters don't have Skyrim on their list like some sort of backlash.

--

I will note, a couple of people have mentioned King's Bounty. The third and fourth King's Bounty are this decade and in my mind only the third one is playable (and I liked it a lot). I loved more of the same with that series but not after three - and I just couldn't get into it.

I will note, a couple of people have mentioned King's Bounty. The third and fourth King's Bounty are this decade and in my mind only the third one is playable (and I liked it a lot). I loved more of the same with that series but not after three - and I just couldn't get into it.

To be exact, because simple numbering can be misleading when it comes to Kings Bounty:

Before
King's Bounty - 1990
King's Bounty: The Legend - 2008
King's Bounty: Armored Princess - 2009

In decade
King's Bounty: Crossworlds - 2010 (although this is actually just an expansion pack. No problem though, "Lackblogger will sort it all out"-TM)
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North - 2012
King's Bounty: Dark Side - 2014

After
King's Bounty II - TBA

(With Dark Side being the worst on this list.)

I actually enjoyed The Dark Side more than Warriors of the North. Crossworlds is the best title though.

EDIT: And posted early and didn't include Skyrim. I never got around to modding it but found vanilla lacking (still played through it though).

Back
Top Bottom