RPGWatch - Official Game of the Decade Voting

And the best way to prevent me from giving any hints is for me to not know the algorithm beforehand anyway.

There are text statistical analysis tools that I have and use on occasion (statistics is part of my job, current work is almost entirely numerical process/product research) ... so if you need any help distilling words down, let me know.

which edition?
I was combining every copy of each game on each system and discounting anything with multiplayer aspects. For instance, I don't think Skyrim outsold Minecraft or DOTA, but it smokes The Witcher, TW2, TW3, and all Divinity games combined; at least with the available numbers that I could find.

However, I'm a Skyrim Worshiper and Bethesda pre-2016 fanboi, so my results should be taken with a grain of salt, praise Kynareth! :biggrin:

...okay, let's be honest. Every post of mine should be taken with a whole saltshaker!

Yea… If we'll vote for bestselling or most popular games I'd pick Candy Crush Saga as #1 followed by Maple Story and Sims.
But somehow I don't think RoI is the criteria we should care about. :)

I understand, but with loose specifications and rules I fear that votes will be interpreted not the way the voters intended.

What do you mean? How can I misinterpret what someone has told me specifically to do?

For instance, I don't think Skyrim outsold Minecraft or DOTA,

Which is ironic in the grand scheme of things, because without Minecraft we wouldn't have the onslaught of the survival genre you enjoy so much, Nut ;)

I would think your vote would be solidly in Notch's creation! 176 million copies sold fyi.

Anyway, here's the reminder for the other 20 odd people who haven't voted yet so as to not let people feel forgotten or out the loop:
@gabrielarantest;
@SSIGuy;
@khaight;
@Kylex;
@Hastar;
@Dolby;
@ChienAboyeur;
@screeg;
@Terry;
@fatknacker50;
@spiraling69;
@Farflame;
@DarkELVES;
@Skally Wag
@Heckle;
@Zogar Sag;
@daveyd;
@Mordegar;
@booboo;
@theSHEEP
@duerer;
@Caddy;

And if I've still forgotten someone, maybe I'll catch them in the next round-up.

Fun fact: In some countries it is illegal not to vote, these include: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Costa Rica, Luxemburg, Uruguay. Although this isn't the case at The Watch I guess we could always have a vote to decide if we should go down that route ;)

Imho it's much more useful to have multiple votes, with or without weighting (just the "system" excluded, which was mentioned before, where the weighting is split up among the titles, as that doesn't make sense :p)
With multiple votes it's just much easier to find a compromise more people are happy with. A single vote by everyone, especially in such a small voting group, just doesn't leave much common ground. When 5 out of 100 people chose the same game as their one favorite of the decade that would already be a lot.

Which is ironic in the grand scheme of things, because without Minecraft we wouldn't have the onslaught of the survival genre you enjoy so much, Nut ;)

I would think your vote would be solidly in Notch's creation! 176 million copies sold fyi.

Agreed. I owe a huge debt to the guy. I personally can't do minecraft, but it's a graphics issue, nothing about the game itself.

What do you mean? How can I misinterpret what someone has told me specifically to do?
Imho not everybody told you specifically what to do. I don't think that a sorted list is well defined in the regard that it's clearly specified which weights to assign to each item.

"Best game" simply does not exist. It's a pareto optimality problem : too many orthogonal criteria. (in short : you can't make a plane that is both fast and silent)

I'm happy with this "set of good games people discuss", I'll filter them out with my own restrictions (and 30+ years of gaming experience), thanks everyone.

No-one actually used the term 'best' in either the OP or the entire first page of the thread.

The first mention of 'best' was from @wolfgrimdark; on page 2, @Drithius; on page 2 and @you; on page 2.

And all three have been examples of people struggling with the concept here, along with @Morrandir;, problems that seem to be completely invisible to literally everybody else.

& to reply to @Morrandir;'s latest post, I still don't know what you're talking about, your post reads as fake news followed by gibberish. Yes, everyone has specifically told me what to do with their vote, and, no, I have no idea what you're follow-on collection of random words means.

Can you clarify with examples?

& to reply to @Morrandir;'s latest post, I still don't know what you're talking about, your post reads as fake news followed by gibberish. Yes, everyone has specifically told me what to do with their vote, and, no, I have no idea what you're follow-on collection of random words means.

Can you clarify with examples?

I think it's clear, unless I'm confused. He means that in my list of 20, for example, which I specified to be in descending order from 1 best to 20 worst, I didn't specify (and most people haven't) how much better 1 is than 2, and so on. Is the game above the next on the list twice as well loved? 1.2347 as much? You get the idea.

I don't have a problem with it or think it matters all that much, but I figured I'd jump in and explain the random words.

Well the normal routine for numbered lists is:

1=10pts
2=9pts
3=8pts
etc to
10=1pt

Or some variation thereof. The exact number is irrelevant, it's assumed the person is giving an even grade of decline when they are providing numbered lists without any clarification otherwise.

And many have given clarification otherwise.

The percent of people who have provided unclarified numbered lists is so small anyway that 0.37pts from %5 of respondents is hardly going to change overall numbers that are pretty self-explanatory anyway. It might be useful for tie-breaker'ing but, again, with such a low turn out, even if it makes it to 125 voters, it's unlikely many, if any, tie-breakers are even going to be needed.

AKA: Semantics. Storm in a tea-cup. Autism-jokes/memes. etc.

More importantly : let's go back to the "decade" debate, please. :)

The first mention of 'best' was from @wolfgrimdark; on page 2, @Drithius; on page 2 and @you; on page 2.

And all three have been examples of people struggling with the concept here, along with @Morrandir;, problems that seem to be completely invisible to literally everybody else.

The only thing I've struggled with is determining what exactly you want from the extraordinarily open-ended and vague "game of the decade" title and, thus, I prefaced my vote(s) with categories.

Game you enjoyed most?
Game that influenced the decade the most?
RPG? FPS? Survivial? Walking simulator?

It's just such an open-ended and ambiguous question as to make the results all but meaningless and merely a (communally) self-serving tool of affirmation.

The only thing I've struggled with is determining what exactly you want from the extraordinarily open-ended and vague "game of the decade" title

Well try reading the text below the title then... :despair:

Yeah, I did, and I also looked for clarification based on conflicting stories and got met with the same patronizing attitude.

Forget it. I'd like to rescind my vote. Don't want to be a part of this circlejerk.

Back
Top Bottom