RPGWatch - Spiderweb Software Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
My next interview this week is with Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software, and was requested by Gilliatt in my suggestion thread on the RPGWatch forums.

Couchpotato: Some members are curious about why you keep making re-makes, and why don't you use a new game engine? How would you respond to them?

Jeff Vogel: I will make an entirely new game engine in the next couple of years. It's a really tough job, though. Very time-consuming. That's why we try to really revamp things every 3 games or so.

As for remakes, well, our newest game, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, is a rewrite of Avernum 2, which came out in 2000. That's 15 years ago. Fifteen! It doesn't run well on new machines, and we can do such a better job with the design, graphics, etc. Also, when we rewrite it, we can port it to tablets. So I think rewrites are entirely justified, and our customers agree. They sell really well.

Couchpotato: You once mentioned you can't make games as you used to can you elaborate on that statement? I was just curious as most of your games turned out to be enjoyable.

Jeff Vogel: I just have a different brain than I did when I was 25. Back then, I was more energetic, less guarded, more willing to do crazy, off-the-wall things. I was more concerned with making neat, cool things than perfecting game balance or whatever, and that produced games a lot of my fans really love.

So when I rewrite them, I need to be respectful and leave the things the fans love the most alone.
More information.

Good interview, thanks! I need to spend some time with the spiderweb back catalogue when I get some time...

Nice interview Couch... Still haven't really played any of his games past the demos unfortunately.

I usually don't mind graphics being old, but I feel like his games lack too much for me to immerse myself ...

Nice interview Couch… Still haven't really played any of his games past the demos unfortunately.

I usually don't mind graphics being old, but I feel like his games lack too much for me to immerse myself …

Thanks for the interview Couch. Since I bought Avadon I, I've been working my way through all of the Spiderweb games. Pladio, if you can get past the old graphics, try Geneforge. It has one of the most compelling stories of a CRPG, in my opinion. It's not quite Planescape:Torment, but its pretty close.

Great interview.

I've only played Avadon I and Escape from the Pit. I especially loved the open ended exploration of Escape from the Pit.

Great interview! Thanks!
I only played Avernum 6: Escape From The Pit…and now Avernum 2:Crystal Souls. Avadon is probably going to be next. Avernum 6 is such a great game, played it for many weeks for many hours a day, and the same is with Avernum 2:CS. It has huge content, and fun to play, it's pretty immersive and I don't care how it looks. Feels good to play. And I can say it is one of the best games I have ever played. Clearly heart and soul was given into the games.
Although, excited about the new engine. That would be nice to see.
Jeff Vogel is the man!

Thanks for the interview Couch. Since I bought Avadon I, I've been working my way through all of the Spiderweb games. Pladio, if you can get past the old graphics, try Geneforge. It has one of the most compelling stories of a CRPG, in my opinion. It's not quite Planescape:Torment, but its pretty close.

I might try it again, I just have so many games to play.

I'm still in the middle of my G2+NOTR playthrough (chapter 4), in the middle of Deus Ex HR playthrough (at the end of the first chapter, I think), South Park Stick of Truth (around 10 hours into the game) and a few others I play ad-hoc.

I'm enjoying south Park right now and will likely continue my DX playthrough next.

I used to be able to finish gamesm uch more easily, but with me working now and games costing less than ever before, I have a massive backlog :D

Cheers for that enjoyable read. :) I'm playing through Avernum 1 at the moment, it's good.

Daniel.

If Jeff kickstarts a truly new, non-tile engine, I may fund the whole thing myself. I'd love for him to move his talent into something similar to the PoE engine that Obsidian has or D:OS might even be a better fit.

Good interview, Couch

He's reached the limits of what he can do with this kind of super limited graphics budget.

Disagree.

Pibbur who thinks the graphics are just fine, and who doesn't need more for an enjoyable rpg experience.

EDIT: Great interview!

Last edited:
Thanks for the interview Couch.

Very happy with the Spiderweb games (including the graphics) - prefer them over BG and DA games: easy on the mind, my old eyes and fingers.

I just wish he changes the setting - Sci fi would be a good start (laser weapons, aliens, robots .. etc.).

Agreed.

A new setting would be welcome, far more important than updated graphics.

pibbur who

Really nice interview, thanks. Oh yeah, I'd be at the front of the line for throwing money at a Kickstarter for Jeff and company. Make it so!

The thing is, I don't get the feeling he really wants to grow his business into a larger workforce that would need kickstarter funding. I think he likes keeping the business small and easy to manage. Can't blame him.

That's the great benefit of very basic engines - one talented guy can comfortably create more games, without the need for a whole pipeline of different skills.

If Jeff kickstarts a truly new, non-tile engine, I may fund the whole thing myself. I'd love for him to move his talent into something similar to the PoE engine that Obsidian has or D:OS might even be a better fit.

Good interview, Couch

Whats wrong with a tile engine? I have to say I love his games and they are yet more proof that game play is king. To hell with fancy graphics.

Back
Top Bottom