RPGWatch - The End is Nigh

I'm very sorry to hear that.

But I get it. Nothing lasts forever and there comes a time when we need to move on.

Best wishes for whatever you do next, Myrthos.

Long time lurker with no posting cred. But still feel the need to say this site will be missed. You and your team's efforts at keeping this site going for as long as you all have is amazing, and greatly appreciated.

I'm most concerned about what I'm going to do without my daily Pibbur fix. His posts always amuse me to no end.

Ah this is sad news. I am not good with death and this feels similar. I have nothing but high regard for all the work you and others must have done to keep things going for so long. 22 years is a very long time.

Must be like raising an unruly large family and keeping every thing going as well as tiring at times.

Ah well not really much can be said except thank you for 20+ years of public service to the gaming community and providing my favorite hangout on the net. As others have said the family is dysfunctional at times but still family.

Things do move on and at some point you would have had to let it go anyhow so might as well do it when you have time to pursue some other interests that bring you enjoyment.

Best wishes on your future endeavors and thanks again!

PS - As a reminder to others, if worst case happens and you need a place to regroup there is the discord RPGWatch channel. Not nearly the same, and discord doesn't work like a forum, but at least its a place available:

https://discord.gg/zAggJCse

But seriously, is there someone you trust amongst the current admins that can continue this thing?
Oh, just realised that the rest are probably only moderator level (or at least, not full admins) and it's not just a matter of handing over the reins. Oh well.

This is incredibly sad news to me. While I've never posted much RPGWatch is like the only website I go to almost everyday for the latest rpg news. I've been coming to this website for such a long time that to see it pass would be like losing a beloved pet.

I sincerely hope that you will be willing to hand over the reigns of operation to someone else who embodies the will and drive to see the website continue to remain and flourish. If that doesn't happen I would at least like to say thank you creating and running this website that has been instrumental in providing me with so much happiness throughout the years.

Sad news indeed! Thank you for all the years!

Yeah, the end has been nigh for a while with forum activity dropping every year. It's still sad to see it all go, though. I've been getting my specialized news curation from this site and RPGDot for so long, I'm not sure what I'll do without it.

I wonder what becomes of the RPGWatch Curation on Steam? @HiddenX; has put a ton of work into that and it's technically a separate thing.

This is sad news. I haven't been coming here as long as many of you, but checking in here nearly daily for several years will be a hard habit to break. I'm not a Codex kinda guy, so I'm not sure if anything could or will replace it. Gaming can be such a solitary hobby as it is, so that's a bummer.

But of course the main response should be gratitude, as it has been throughout this thread. Creating something with this kind of staying power, putting in the effort to maintain it all these years, giving hundreds of people a chance to share in a common interest (and sometimes battle over it), these things shouldn't be underestimated. It's a lot of work, and I very much appreciate that you gave so much of yourself so that we all had a place to hang out.

Very sorry to hear this news, but like many have said above, nothing last forever.

A hearty thanks and best of luck to you and everyone who worked hard to make this site such a great community. The Watch has provided me with a considerable amount of entertainment over the years and will be sorely missed.

If this is indeed our fate, perhaps we could do a few "the last ____" polls or posts as a fun send off. Like a last "best RPG of all time" poll and definitely a "If RPGWatch goes into retirement, where will you go to geek out about RPG games?" poll.

Brilliant title for this thread by the way. Just perfect.

I'll be lurking around the site until the lights turn off and I'm left alone in the dark with deep thoughts on the mythic path I chose in my first Pathfinder WotR playthru with no one to share them with........

As much as I would like to say I'm surprised I'm not. Now I wont go into details or get to negative but will just say thank for providing a site for me to visit for over12 years.

Might be time to dust off Couch's RPG Playground. I seriously need a new forum name.:biggrin:

We, your friends, at RPG Codex, stand ready to take over take control of acquire through completely legal and non-nefarious means the rights of RPG Watch.

Barring some sort of completely unreasonable negative reaction by your leaders to the very notion of RPG Codex swollowing whole absorbing lovingly carrying on the tradition of RPG Watch, I offer the alternative of placing some sort of public notice directing your newly-wayward members our way, where we will receive them with the tender loving care that they (you) so much deserve.

With Respect and Admiration,

Your pals,

- RPG Codex

As a lurker of the Codex for over 10 years I highly doubt I will ever join.

Thanks for the offer though.

First, thank you very much for 16 years of being my primary source of RPG news. I respect your decision and wish you the best in the future. Life is too short to waste time on a task that you no longer enjoy doing. Thank you for the work you have put into this site.

I know in my own life as I have gotten older that I no longer have the passion for RPGs and computer games in general since I first set foot in Sosaria almost 40 years ago. Maybe it is knowing my time is getting shorter and I want to spend it doing more meaningful things with friends and family instead of solitary gaming. It's a paradox, I finally have time on my hands to play all I want to but the interest is not there like it was.

I do hope that this can continue in some form. Any online site lives and dies by its community, and there are many here that I will miss seeing their comments and viewpoints if this were to just disappear. I have not been as active commenting for the past couple years but I am still silently lurking in the background and reading the site frequently.

Welp, guess I'd better start practicing my insults again if I'm heading back to the codex.

Maybe @Myrthos; or @Eye; could make a sticky thread for various places people can visit or go? Like the steam curation, the link to the discord channel for RPGWatch, etc. Then people could find those resources easy.

Wow that's too bad, but nothing lasts forever. Such a great time to be an RPG fan, with everything coming out-- it will be tough to lose this resource.

If anyone is starting anything similar, please keep us informed!

Yikes, I thought I'd expire before the beloved Watch would. I'll truly miss this site and the people that populated it. And aye, should a phoenix rise from the ashes, I'd be inclined to follow to a new site, should such a think happen.

Coincidentally, I just wrote yesterday in the "Topics doesn't need to stay on topic" thread that I never felt the urge or need to create an account at RPGCodex. I wrote that before Myrthos announced the end of RPGWatch website, and even now, I still don't feel like I should create an account there. I must have visited Codex like what, 5 or 6 times ???

What I'm meaning is: I don't have a plan B. Actually, besides RPGWatch and RPGCodex, I don't know any other website which does gather/aggregate news about gaming world (mainly RPG news).

Wolfgrimdark mentioned Discord. I never been into RPGWatch channel there, and I don't know if the Discord's structure of channels/subchannels would be suited for news publishing and/or long discussions, for examples. But, of course, it's a start. Better than nothing.

One of the things I do like it here is the ease of navigation (for me, at least). I also like the RPGWatch clean, simple layout. Sometimes less is more.

Oh, very sad to hear.

Would be really great if it could be passed on. Even if the capacities are vastly reduced. For example it would already be great if just the page stays alive, but without any news section.

Also one option could be to sell the whole thing. That way you'd get something out if it, and the page would stay alive in some form.

Back
Top Bottom