RPGWatch Updates, Bug reports and Feature requests

That seems to confirm what I found, and what I think, not an easy one. If the forums change, it's not worth fixing, and who uses the scroll bar except to locate where he/she is in the page anyway?

F5 works too, or a quick CTRL + scroll wheel up/down :)

Why do people not simply use a good browser. :lol: /jk
Seriously: Never had this scroll bar issue in Firefox.
Before, I was avoiding Firefox because it had become so heavy. But seeing how Chrome is on its way to get there, plus the experimental things, I may change my mind. At least it would be consistent on Windows and Linux (Chromium crashes very often on Linux for me).

It doesn't happen in Firefox, nor on a Chromium based browser, like Brave. At least not in my experience.

I suddenly can't edit posts. Any attempt to do so brings me to this…

*Edit* Seems to have been temporary.

Attachments

• 403.jpg
    403.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Yeah, that happens when the browser software thinks it has your cookie, but then finds out it doesn't when editing. No clue why that is. Usually a complete refresh of th W page solves it.
Hopefully we have changed to new forum software in the near future.

You might have been seeing 500 server errors when visiting RPGWatch. If you have not then you were not visiting us when we had those. Shame on you for not visiting us that often :)

The reason for the error is that Plesk (which we use to manage the server) auto-updates our server. Unfortunately Apache has changed some things, which breaks the PHP interface to apache as it is configured by Plesk. Obviously this should have been spotted by Plesk, before they roll out the update, but it was not.
I've added their suggested workaround and am waiting until it is fixed by them to revert back to the most recent versions.

I was wondering what you meant, then I typed the URL into Edge :)

I wasn't seeing it because of the same issue I had before - cache. Chances are many others don't see it either unless they explicitly refresh?

EDIT: love the theme!

Last edited:
No, not in this software.

When viewing posts in the forum, if I log i,n it takes me out of the forums to the home page. This is really annoying behavior, since I want to stay on the page I was viewing, and for the following.

If I click the back button the login is not in effect on the forum page.

If I reload the forum page, it aske for login info again.

Repeat.

It's as if the forums have no memory of my log in.

When viewing posts in the forum, if I log i,n it takes me out of the forums to the home page. This is really annoying behavior, since I want to stay on the page I was viewing, and for the following.
Yeah, I know. It is annoying and I dived into the forum software a few times to see why it is doing that, but I cannot find it. As the plan is to move to new forum software, I gave up. However getting that new forum software operational has been met with some delays.

If I click the back button the login is not in effect on the forum page.

If I reload the forum page, it aske for login info again.

Repeat.

It's as if the forums have no memory of my log in.
I never use the back button, but just go to the forum page from the menu. Anyway, to get this working, you need to allow for the cookie to be stored. Apparently you have software running that disables cookies, because of that the session information is not retained and you loose your logged in state.

If cookies make you concerned, our Privacy statement shows what is stored in our cookie. We are not using any trackers from Google or whatever and are using Matamo analytics (used to be named Piwik), which is stored on our own server, no data we have is shared with others.

Thanks Myrtos!

Look forward to that forum software update!

I do not have any software that prevents cookies being stored. Cookie storage works fine for all the other web pages I use. Could it be the AdBlocker addon?

Also the scroll bar sometimes disappears in Chrome on Windows on a forum thread page. Reloading the page sometimes fixes this, other times, not.

EDIT: I mis wrote, I did have this option ticked in Chrome:

"Block third-party cookies in Incognito"

Don't know if this applies, as I don't remember ever going "Incognito" but unticked it.

EDIT 2:

OK, it still loses my login information, when I close the page and reopen it. This is with the allow all cookies enabled, and ad-blocker turned off. Strange. Note my other websites don't have this issue.

Last edited:
I don't have Chrome, but Firefox on my Windows 10 and a number of all sorts of blockers, and I vaguely remember having put RPGWatch on a couple of whitelists.
But you probably have already thought about that.
Don't know if that makes any difference though. :)

If it is any consolation (sure it is not) on my tablet, my browser Safari always seems to forget who I am after ehm, 15 minutes or so? of doing something else. Reloading a forum page does not help. Back button does not either. But! when going to the main page of the forums it suddenly remembers me, and then I can visit any other forum page without any problem. Only there it remembers me.

@Thrasher; I have Chrome on Win10 but I never had this issue, and I don't have this website in the white list. I have the AdBlock plugin (so maybe not the same), but I'm pretty sure it's not that because it's handled differently.

There are add-ons to handle the cookies though, like "I don't care about cookies" or others that may either block or allow them all. You could try disabling all your add-ons to rule that out.

The option "in Incognito" is only relevant to the incognito mode, it has no impact otherwise. I left it ON on my browser because that's the point of the incognito mode, but it could indeed be used for ex. if you want to log in to some sites under a different identity and have Chrome remember about it.

Since there is an issue, it's worth deleting the site cookies and trying again, if you haven't already tried. Use this link and type "rpgwatch" in the search field - not at the top, just above the "Remove All" button. You can delete only those with 'rpgwatch' so that you don't lose access to all your other sites (there should be 2 groups of cookies I think).

chrome://settings/siteData

I'm not too hopeful but I had this issue with another site where one cookie was corrupted, and it solved the problem back then.

Normally the identity and password cookies remain valid one year for this site.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gave that a try and still no go.

It is still forgetting my log in.

I have few extensions beyond Adblock Plus: PrinterLogic Extension, iCloud Bookmarks, Bookmarks Cleanup. Don't think any of those should interfere with cookies.

Strange...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gave that a try and still no go.

It is still forgetting my log in.

I have few extensions beyond Adblock Plus: PrinterLogic Extension, iCloud Bookmarks, Bookmarks Cleanup. Don't think any of those should interfere with cookies.

Strange…

Sorry to ask but when you log in, do you enable the little check mark "remember me", on the right of the password?

Otherwise, what cookies do you see after doing the search above?

I have that but the number may vary - the bold ones seem the most relevant:
- rpgwatch.com, 6 cookies (bblastactivity, bblastvisit, bbpassword, bbsessionhash, bbthread_rate, bbuserid)
- www.rpgwatch.com, 6 cookies

When I click on rpgwatch.com and unfold "bbpassword", I see it's valid one year, same for "bbuserid".

Yes, I hit that check box everytime I enter my username and password.

I have two sets of cookies.

For rpgwatch.com:
bbdbtech_security_session
bblastactivity
bblastvisit
bbpassword
bbsessionhash
bbuserid

For www. rpgwatch.com:
RPGWatch_Session
_pk_id.1.c838
_pk_ses.1.c838
style

bbpassword unfolded has:
Created
Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 1:23:38 AM
Expires
Friday, March 31, 2023 at 10:28:59 AM

bbuserid unfolded has:
Created
Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 1:23:38 AM
Expires
Friday, March 31, 2023 at 10:28:59 AM

Do you have the same experience in more than one browser?

I don't remember seeing "bbdbtech_security_session" on my side but otherwise that looks fine, so that part at least seems OK.

So if there's a refresh, or if the browser is closed and the next time the site is opened I suppose, the content of those cookies is not accepted by the server...

By the way, we all have the hiding scrollbar with Chrome, so don't worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom