Selected (by me) RPGs and Tactical games from RPGWatch list 2023

Do you mind if I ask which game you are working on at Owlcats? :)
Mostly RT right now. Personally, I've known very little about WarHammer universe (aside from the memes) before moving to this project, but I like what our narrative team is doing with it - they're the best!
Would you ssy RT and CS are similar?
I haven't played CS demo, but I think they're very different, based on Vince's previous work. Certainly, the setting is very different, and it forces different philosophies. Nothing can out-grimdark Warhammer, but it's so grimdark it sometimes comes out on the other side, becoming funny. Colony Ship, on the other hand, I think will be more in line with hard sci-fi? With the corresponding serious themes discussed in serious ways, without going overboard.
There is a tricky bit to it, though: we tend to kill a lot of rather sentient things on our quests. Even if they are Very Naughty things, it gets a bit hard to justify that much death when you are just looking for a cure to a deadly disease that only your sister has contracted. I think it's best if we at least save a good sized city.
I think Jeff Vogel does this very well. In Spiderweb Software games, you usually battle not for survival of the world, but for the "right" idea (whatever idea you choose among the ones presented by the author). It's more realistic, which is maybe not for everyone, but I think it would be good to have more games doing that. As an example from another media, Ada Palmer's "Terra Ignota" series is the best book series I've read in a while, and it describes a globe-spanning conflict between people who all mean well, and really want the best for the mankind (and end up killing a lot of other people who mean well, but differently). It's a book without any clear villains, and it's not even "everyone is kind of bad" of Dark Fantasy (which is also getting tiresome, though I remember the time when the likes of "Witcher" and "Black Company" were a breath of fresh air among bad Tolkien clones with fair elves and evil orcs).
Owlcat?? You know, I've had this persistent crashing issue in WotR.... ;)
If you can reproduce a crash consistently on PC, and it's not cured by installing the latest drivers and checking the game's files, I might take a look at the log and the crash dump. On console, it's probably a out-of-memory issue, which I know people are working on, but it's really, really hard, so sorry, and please be patient with us.

As a RTwP fan he was one of the main reasons for Pathfinder going TB.
Really, the two main reasons were that wonderful modder who created the TB mod, and the need to release the game on consoles, where IMO RTwP cannot be implemented well with 6+ characters party with many abilities (something like Tower of Time with 3 characters with a couple abilities each MIGHT work well enough, I think). But yes, I suck at RTwP and prefer TB :)

Nothing can out-grimdark Warhammer, but it's so grimdark it sometimes comes out on the other side, becoming funny.
Hmmm this is not the feeling I got from RT tho. I found it quite serious in tone although I feel Owlcat did good job with keeping it not too serious.

Really, the two main reasons were that wonderful modder who created the TB mod, and the need to release the game on consoles, where IMO RTwP cannot be implemented well with 6+ characters party with many abilities (something like Tower of Time with 3 characters with a couple abilities each MIGHT work well enough, I think). But yes, I suck at RTwP and prefer TB :)
Understand the reason for implementing TB into Pathfinder games but I'm hoping Owlcats will keep RTwP for next Pathfinder game!! :)

The Way of Wrath (15.02.2023, doubtful)

Very ugly tactical RPG about survival of a prehistoric tribe. The setting, at least, is interesting, but I'm not sure I can stand the looks - I really hate this low-poly aesthetics.

I have opposite opinion - I actually find aesthetic in this game very pleasing. The setting seems interesting too. I don't know if I can roll a female character tho. There is a demo, so I might try it out.
Broken Roads - new date 31.03.2023
I have no idea why but I completely lost interest in this one.. will wait for impression once the game is released.

If you can reproduce a crash consistently on PC, and it's not cured by installing the latest drivers and checking the game's files, I might take a look at the log and the crash dump. On console, it's probably a out-of-memory issue, which I know people are working on, but it's really, really hard, so sorry, and please be patient with us.
Nah, this one is completely unpredictable. It can happen any time in the first 10 minutes or so, even when the game is just starting to play music before showing the main menu screen. I just try again, without so much as a reboot, until it works. It's never taken more than four tries. I have yet to see anyone on the Steam forums make a similar complaint, so I'm guessing there's some magical combination of drivers/hardware that mess up the loads.

That mod was SO handy! With turn based, you do THIS, the result is THAT, and nothing else is going on at the same time. I was having a really rough time figuring out the system under RTwP with everything happening everywhere all at once.

Nah, this one is completely unpredictable. It can happen any time in the first 10 minutes or so, even when the game is just starting to play music before showing the main menu screen. I just try again, without so much as a reboot, until it works. It's never taken more than four tries. I have yet to see anyone on the Steam forums make a similar complaint, so I'm guessing there's some magical combination of drivers/hardware that mess up the loads.
One source of crashes is bad ram module. While most things might not crash if you have a few bad chips near the upper address programs that use a lot of ram are more likely to trigger the crash. You could test this by running prime95 over night - if you go that route be sure to configure it to use 99% of your ram - use taskmanager to make sure you are not swapping but using most of the ram. Unfortunately memcheck does a horrible job of actually testing ram but i've found prime95 quite reliable.

One source of crashes is bad ram module. While most things might not crash if you have a few bad chips near the upper address programs that use a lot of ram are more likely to trigger the crash.
This one can hit REALLY early. I've had it crash even before it shows the purple "loading" progress bar that happens before you're shown the main menu screen.

Are you having crashes in any other games?
Nope. I've been playing multiple other games, too, including Mechwarrior 5 and beta testing X4:Foundations.

Back
Top Bottom