Shadowrun: Hong Kong

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
HONG KONG. A stable and prosperous port of call in a sea of chaos, warfare, and political turmoil. The Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone is a land of contradictions - it is one of the most successful centers of business in the Sixth World, and home to one of the world’s most dangerous sprawl sites. A land of bright lights, gleaming towers, and restless spirits where life is cheap and everything is for sale.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is the third standalone game in Harebrained Schemes’ critically-acclaimed Shadowrun cRPG series. Experience the most impressive Shadowrun RPG yet with an all new crew, expanded magic and cyberware, a completely revamped Matrix, an upgraded release of the Shadowrun Editor, and much more!

New in Shadowrun: Hong Kong , thanks to our generous Kickstarter Backers:

• Revamped Matrix art and gameplay!
  • Illustrated transition animatics that play at key moments in the story.
  • Enhanced sound, and dynamic combat music that ebbs and flows.
  • Rebuilt Inventory UI and easier management of items in-mission.
  • All-new Cyberware skill-tree and new Cyberweapons that can be installed to your character’s arms.
  • The ability to enter turn-based combat mode as soon as an enemy is in view.
  • Powerful new Foci objects for spellcasters.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong Features

A Classic, Story-Driven cRPG: Shadowrun: Hong Kong hearkens back to the golden age of computer RPG’s with a novel-like branching narrative full of sharp prose and deep character development. Immerse yourself in a smart, 15+ hour campaign with a diverse cast of all-too-human characters.

A One-of-a-Kind Cyberpunk Setting: Experience the unique “Tech meets Magic” dystopian future of Shadowrun, a fan-favorite game setting now celebrating it’s 25th anniversary. Shadowrun: Hong Kong is a perfect entry point to the setting for those with no prior Shadowrun experience, while providing plenty of classic Shadowrun characters and tech for veteran players to sink their teeth into.

Command Your Team:
Just like Dragonfall, Shadowrun: Hong Kong features a crew of flawed, dangerous runners with backstories that could only be possible in the tech-meets-magic Shadowrun setting. The members of your team are designed to play contrasting roles during missions, and each has a distinct set of skills, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Each team member also has challenges to face in their own lives, which you can choose to brush aside or play an important part in.

Gripping, Turn-Based Tactical Combat: When you’re running the shadows, every turn matters. Choose your actions wisely - move to better cover, charge into melee, or lob a fireball into a crowd of enemies. With over 200 weapons and spells at your disposal, every turn is filled with meaningful choices.

Skill-Based Character Progression:
Choose a starting character archetype and build from there! Street Samurai and Physical Adepts use advanced combat skills to dominate the battlefield, Shamans and Mages summon powerful allies and cast deadly spells, while Riggers and Deckers provide critical technological support, projecting their consciousness directly into drones and computer systems. Shadowrun: Hong Kong’s classless skill system allows you to grow your character in any direction you choose.

More information.

Ermm...my complaints so far:

The hacking mini-games are horrendous, especially for people with low reflexes.
Still quite a few bugs (fortunately, those can be fixed and they will be fixed)
Worse game economy than what we had in the previous titles
A hell of a lot shorter (10-12 hours)
Some stuff can't be accessed if you don't have specific skills

Pros:

Interesting characters
Great writting
Better use of the skills in both dialogue and enviroment
A fitting soundtrack
The amount of combat can be vastly reduced if you have a Charisma based character (had a couple of missions that i've completed witout getting in a fight)

Definitely. For 1.2 million is quite okay. For more stuff, they would need a better budget.

I'd say it's pretty weak when you consider it's based on an existing engine with so many assets already in place.

Well lets say a team of 10 for just 1 year. Average salary between 50-75k (total guess). Add in payroll taxes, Workers Comp Ins, rent, benefits, utilities and other misc costs I'd say its about right.

I haven't downloaded it yet but I will soonish.

I guess we can all conjure numbers and make it fit ;)

Nah, I guess if people are happy with this endless samey-ness, it's all cool.

I don't know where you're coming from. To me, as a customer, all I know is that for a very low price (was it $20?) I got 3 full games. I liked the first one and with that alone I would have been satisfied with what I paid. Add Dragonfall to that and it makes it a huge deal, and add Hong Kong on top of that and it's just the best bang for the buck I've had for newer games like ever.

I don't know where you're coming from. To me, as a customer, all I know is that for a very low price (was it $20?) I got 3 full games. I liked the first one and with that alone I would have been satisfied with what I paid. Add Dragonfall to that and it makes it a huge deal, and add Hong Kong on top of that and it's just the best bang for the buck I've had for newer games like ever.

I'm coming from a place where I'm not you, and as such - don't agree with you about everything.

In this case, I don't agree that Hong Kong reflects the budget involved, given how much of it was already in place and how quickly it was released.

I don't remember mentioning the price, though. The price is quite fair.

Well I do payroll and accounting, it cost more to run a small company than people think.

Just trying to give the cost some perspective.

I'm talking about the actual work that went into the game, not how much money it costs to hire people and have them stay on the payroll.

I'm talking about the actual work that went into the game, not how much money it costs to hire people and have them stay on the payroll.

haha ... I lol'd at this one.

Oh wait, I think you are trying to be serious and not sound intentionally clueless?!? In that case ... never mind.

haha … I lol'd at this one.

Oh wait, I think you are trying to be serious and not sound intentionally clueless?!? In that case … never mind.

Are you trying to say that 10 people getting paid to work on something is an assurance of a quality result that reflects the cost involved?

You don't do real world much, do you.

You should check out games like Duke Nukem Forever and Daikatana.

Are you trying to say that 10 people getting paid to work on something is an assurance of a quality result that reflects the cost involved?

You don't do real world much, do you.

I was laughing because your replies were called out as nonsensical and illogical and you back pedaled in a way that made less sense .. and of course you will never admit to being wrong.

You were making budgetary assessments without knowing the internal structures or requirements or overall funding schemes. Of course you are entitled to your opinion of how much should cost and so on, but you claim much knowledge and insight for a game you haven't played by a company whose internals you don't know.

I was laughing because your replies were called out as nonsensical and illogical and you back pedaled in a way that made less sense .. and of course you will never admit to being wrong.

You were making budgetary assessments without knowing the internal structures or requirements or overall funding schemes. Of course you are entitled to your opinion of how much should cost and so on, but you claim much knowledge and insight for a game you haven't played by a company whose internals you don't know.

Let's try to stick with reality and not your fantasy version of it.

First of all, I own the game and I've played it. Not much, but enough to know that it's essentially the same game as the past ones with minor improvements. About the only significant change is to the Matrix sequences, as far as I can tell.

Secondly, I've made no assessments about the budget - as the budget is public knowledge.

All I'm saying is that I don't understand the need for such a high budget, given that the engine is all but identical and so many assets were already in place.

It's true that I can't know how they developed the game, but I think I'm just as entitled to an opinion of how well that money was spent as anyone else around here. They could have hired a 1000 people for all I know, I simply can't see where the work went. It's not rocket science.

Maybe you don't think so and that's cool. But I fail to see what kind of knowledge or insight I've claimed to hold about it, that I would somehow need for such an opinion.

In terms of the game, how does it compare to Dead Man's Switch or Dragonfall ?

I haven't played Dead Man's Switch, so no comment over that.

In term of Dragonfall, I find it to be quite similar, except that all missions basically start you inside of a building which can get old, I like Dragonfall street approach. I also find that there is a lot less combat in missions and stuff to pick up on maps (money is hard to come by as well). The Matrix changes are a love or hate thing (I personally like them). Hong Kong is a much more personal story than Dragonfall, I think that it reflect in the "side" missions, not just the main one.

Unlike quite a few reviewers, I personally prefer the Hong Kong party members over the ones in Dragonfall as well. Gobbet is my BFF. Also, I found the Heio hub (your base hub) much better than the one in Dragonfall. Merchants and a few NPCs are much more fleshed out and they have something new to say after most missions.

I was a little bit disappointed to see the lack of real new features but I am still enjoying the game so far!

Back
Top Bottom