SKALD: Against the Black Priory - Teaser Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new teaser trailer for the retro RPG SKALD: Against the Black Priory has been released:
SKALD: Against the Black Priory | New Teaser trailer

The dragons stirs in the void and an empire trembles. The rule of the magi Lords is failing. Where now shall we place our faith? In the low cunning of the sell swords? Or in the golden dead to whom we offer prayers? Certainly not in the foul magical praxis of witches and lay sorcerers. No, this is our punishment.

We woke the dragon and for us, there is no salvation.

This new teaser trailer shows new gameplay, highlights the new improved visual effects in and out of combat as well as revealing more about the Skald world!

Anders Lauridsen and Raw Fury are teaming up for 'SKALD: Against the Black Priory', a retro-style RPG set in a grim-dark fantasy world of tragic heroes, violent deaths and Lovecraftian horror. Explore an engaging branching story mixed with exploration and crunchy tactical, turn-based combat that will engage RPG fans, old and new.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is a retro-style RPG set in a grim-dark fantasy world of tragic heroes, violent deaths and Lovecraftian horror. Explore an engaging branching story mixed with exploration and crunchy tactical, turn-based combat that will engage RPG fans, old and new.
Skald: Against the Black Priory will be available on PC, Mac and Linux via Steam and GOG. Wishlist now on Steam for more updates.
More information.

Yeah, to me that's just painfully pixelated, for the sake a determinedly retro style. I think one irony for these styles of games is that they actually look much worse on modern displays, without the softening effect of the old CRT screens we used at the time.

Despite I agree with @Ripper; about modern displays, it really looks great to me. Hopefully atmosphere will be dark and thick as tarpit and gameplay lots of fun. Looking forward.

Horrible Eyestrain that green DOT grass is to my eyes, so I cannot play / buy, sorry..

Yeah, to me that's just painfully pixelated, for the sake a determinedly retro style. I think one irony for these styles of games is that they actually look much worse on modern displays, without the softening effect of the old CRT screens we used at the time.
Some games like this now have a "CRT Filter" you can turn on which applies some softening and other CRT-like effects to the final output. SKALD has one. Didn't see it in use in any online videos, so I downloaded the demo/prologue and tried it myself. Here's a couple of cropped screenshots of the SKALD prologue taken from my screen (4K):

Default: https://imgur.com/a/3a7alw3
CRT Filter On: https://imgur.com/a/qB02wFQ

Yeah, that's a good idea to include. I use something similar when I occasionally fire up MAME for old arcade games. Makes a good improvement to the look, IMO.

While I would prefer visuals that are a bit more modern, that won't prevent from enjoying the game. I tried out the prologue a year ago and I was quite impressed. The character creation wasn't finished but what's there showed a pretty deep system that reminds me of D&D, what glimpses of the story / themes were intriguing enough to hold my interest, and the combat seems decent fast paced but still some tactical options.

And as a bonus the game is shipping with the development tools so perhaps players will build some interesting campaigns with it, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom